davytenn
16 years ago
I have a '60 bug, and want to change the front end (spindle to spindle). Can I use any front end ( link pin / king pin) or does it have to be specific to the year?
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
16 years ago
Pretty much any year, and though split Bug ones are different, I doubt you'll stumble over one of them anyway. The only other thing around 1960 is whether or not you have the bracket for the steering damper. The grease nipples changed size and the trailing arm bushes vary between plastic and needle roller bearings also. Not sure when these changed and its not really important to the functioning of your car.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
davytenn
16 years ago
Pardon my ignorance, so that means a "Ball Joint " front end will work provided I change out the entire thing? Just want to be clear before I order one.
Thanks
six-o-one
16 years ago
No, you can't change to ball joint as the spacing between the tubes is different to link-pin.
pre67vw
16 years ago

No, you can't change to ball joint as the spacing between the tubes is different to link-pin.

"six-o-one" wrote:

Unless you change the framehead... (big job)
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
16 years ago
I said "any" front end will fit, because you said "Can I use any front end ( link pin / king pin)".

But any king/link pin axle will fit.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
davytenn
16 years ago
Thanks, Next question....
I need suggestions on tire sizes and brands? It now has 2 1/2 " dropped spindles. Don't want stock tires.
Thanks
'50 Karmann
16 years ago

It now has 2 1/2 " dropped spindles.
Thanks

"davytenn" wrote:

Hmmmmm !!!!!!! :roll:
mrsherbie
16 years ago

Thanks, Next question....
I need suggestions on tire sizes and brands? It now has 2 1/2 " dropped spindles. Don't want stock tires.
Thanks

"davytenn" wrote:

You would be far better searching or asking that question on Restowagen to get best & most accurate answers about lowering options as this is stock height forum :wink: :D

Restowagen 
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann