lifeintheslowlane
2008-03-11T11:21:33Z
OK now I'm facing old age and a general state of confusion, I thought now might be a good time to look at some in-car route finding assistance. :?

I can read a map...it would be embarrassing if I couldn't, I spent over 30 years drawing them. However the prospect of driving in Europe without a navigator, (occasionally) I thought I'd invest in a "Tom Tom" or some other gizmo.

Most run off a rechargeable internal battery but from what I can see they don't run for long between recharges (just a few hours in some cases). There is of course a lead you can plug into your ciggie lighter but my '58 Ghia is 6 volt.

So the question is, what's the best way around this?
John.
Sponsor

(Register and log-in to hide thread adverts)
Jules
2008-03-11T14:56:09Z
Afternoon....

I have a 'Garmin' Sat. nav., just dug out the box and in the Specifications bit it says

Usage: 15 W max. @ 13.8 VDC

It doesn't say anything about 6 volts but I think it might work fine.

You could call 'em up, Garmin (Europe) Ltd. are based at Hounsdown Business Park, Southampton, SO40 9RB (I don't have a phone number)

It was easy to rig it up in the Barndoor, just bought a Cig. lighter and rigged it up under the speedo pod, spliced into a live wire and earthed it, it's out of sight and easy to get to. (it's 12 Volt too)
2splits
2008-03-11T17:02:23Z
I'm pretty sure it will work fine. The 356 guys from 356talk were mentioning it a few weeks ago, and they said it works well just plugging it in. I haven't tried it yet. I have a Garmin Nuvi.
Kevin

-51 Split Rag
-58 Ghia Cab with Okrasa
-57 356
lifeintheslowlane
2008-03-11T17:56:34Z
Are the suction cap marks easy to get off the windscreen? I'm running original glass and wouldn't want to damage it. :wink:

I told you I was getting confused :oops: Gotta start looking for a ciggie lighter for the car.
John.
Peter_Plade
2008-03-12T12:22:43Z
Otherwise you can pu in a little converter from 6 to 12volt I have that in the oval and it works fine used it with my garmin to and from Camberg last year and to charge my mobil with.

Chris
2008-03-13T09:21:06Z
Forget the GPS John. what you need is one of these.... :roll:

Chris attached the following image(s):

A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day.
lifeintheslowlane
2008-03-13T18:24:51Z
"Chris" wrote:

Forget the GPS John. what you need is one of these.... :roll:

Yeah I do have one of those and like me she's a trained map reader but she answers back and has an aversion to sitting in fields in inclement weather talking about of VWs.

No I can't understand that either. :?
John.