JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
16 years ago
I'm all set to order a twin 28pci kit for my stock 1958 motor. I just wondered if anyone is running this setup? Is it worth it for a few extra hp? Will it only get 18mpg afterwards?
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Etzhold1
16 years ago
It will give you a few HP more thats for sure !
I know a few Germanguy's Who are using them , and they tell nice story's about them , Easy to installed and to adjust , and the adjustigs are staying for 1000's km's !
I did not drive them by myself, but I also have set ready to instaled on my 58 , A friend made the old style intakes for them, and I sold a set to Rob also ! My 58 needs first a complete restoration after that they will be installated ! But we have to finnish first ET's car !

Guido
JD
  • JD
16 years ago
Thanks Etzhold. It couldn't make the car any slower, thats for sure!

Anyone else?
UserPostedImage
snale/bbr
16 years ago
Hi JD!

Perhaps you should ask AndiH (www.oval56.com) about his setup and knowledge about it..

In fact, I will run myself a dual 28PCI setup on early Riechert manifolds on my 34PS '61 engine.

Another good adress is mr. Riechert himself! The only thing is, that you have to phone him... no emails!

Regards

Thomas

Oldspeed-Register   14451.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
JD
  • JD
16 years ago
I will give Hr Riechert a call. Someone else told me today that its a good kit that he makes. I think I will just order it.

Thanks!
UserPostedImage
Bengt H
16 years ago
Works very good for mee, Express kit
UserPostedImage
JD
  • JD
16 years ago
Nice! I haven't heard of the Express kit, but it looks great.

UserPostedImage
reminou75
16 years ago
I have the same prep' in mind, Express lokkalike, but with 356 Pre-A carbs, and two Cyclones. :oops:
JD
  • JD
16 years ago

I have the same prep' in mind, Express lokkalike, but with 356 Pre-A carbs, and two Cyclones. :oops:

"reminou75" wrote:

What are Pre A carbs exactly? Not Solex, or? How big?
UserPostedImage
reminou75
16 years ago
you have some different models, but very hard to find the good ones... The closest model, much more easy to find, is the 32 PBIC, which was also on later Pre-A models.
16 years ago
Hello-

I've read that the Riechert dual 28PCI kit adds ~15% to your horse power.

Paul Vickerman

Go Bruins!
JD
  • JD
15 years ago
My Riechert kit turned up in the post this morning. 😎

Just waiting for a few more bits and the car will be off to the workshop for a much needed R+R session.
UserPostedImage
15 years ago
Hello-

Would you happen to know if other carbs will fit onto your Riechert manifolds? I'm thinking of putting a 74mm Porsche crank into a 36hp case, and I believe something like Solex 32PBIC's might be more appropriate, but I have no idead if the manifolds/linkage will work.

Thanks,

Paul Vickerman
Paul Vickerman

Go Bruins!
JD
  • JD
15 years ago
I'm thinking along the same lines as you at some point in the future, but I really can't tell you if they directly fit on the manifolds or not. Other than saying that the Reichert manifolds aren't terribly thick material, so you may not be able to open them out all that much. I suppose they could be welded if you needed to change the bolt pattern.

Thing is - is there really any advantage to using expensive, hard to find old Porsche carbs? Surely one 32mm Solex carb isn't so very different to another, no matter what it started out on? And the head will still be the restrictive part of the setup, or?
UserPostedImage
'64 ghia coupe
15 years ago

My Riechert kit turned up in the post this morning. 😎

Just waiting for a few more bits and the car will be off to the workshop for a much needed R+R session.

"JD" wrote:

Do you mind me asking how much the kit cost you all in?

Mike
JD
  • JD
15 years ago
Not at all Mike - it was 392 euros and three cents, plus a tenner for a used 28PCI that I picked up elsewhere.

Its a very complete kit though, including rebuild kits for both carbs, correct jets, and as far as I can see, every jubilee clip and piece of hose that you'll need for the job.

The only thing I'm not wild about - and its a very small niggle - is that the air filters are shiney stainless. I may paint them black or get them blasted to matt finish.
UserPostedImage
JD
  • JD
15 years ago
Well, they are on there and performance wise its quite an improvement. I don´t have to change down ro third on the autobahn any more (though only just!). Unfortunately the linkage was rather poorly fitted and I´m not getting anything like full throttle opening. Will piss about with it and see what I can come up with. Strange that my accelerator pedal only seems to have about two inches of travel anyway. Is something wrong do you think?
UserPostedImage
Peter_Plade
15 years ago
Hard to say what the problem might be, maybe the gas cable interfeering with the gearbox or something? I have tried that once.
Do you have any pictures, it would nice to see how it looks.
JD
  • JD
15 years ago

Hard to say what the problem might be, maybe the gas cable interfeering with the gearbox or something? I have tried that once.
Do you have any pictures, it would nice to see how it looks.

Peter_Plade wrote:

It was always a bit short on travel at the pedal, but I never really thought it might be a problem until now. Maybe its meant to be like that, but it isn´t helping me get full opening at the carbs. Maybe something is bent somewhere.:?

I will take a picture, but I can´t do it for a few days. Its all a bit bright and shiney looking compared to the rest of the motor - I think I will spray it all black, try to get the stainless air filters blasted and fit some button headed bolts. It won´t take much to "age" the look of it all.
UserPostedImage
Peter_Plade
15 years ago
What year is your car?
I have seen several cars with "new" (gaspedal the one after the roller pedal) were the gas pedal assembly was so worn that it was´nt able to giwe full thottle.