mrsherbie
16 years ago
ebay 

I dont know this car, never seen it before, but then it cant have been out much! 22k miles on a RHD car that has had 4/5 owners with not even a spec of damp garage rust from any of them in over 40years? I would expect its FSH to have to back up the mileage. It looks like a super car, almost too good to be true.

"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
RoRoVw
16 years ago
I remember this car from at least 20 years ago when it was in its standard form. It won many trophies on the show circuit. It was owned then by a guy in York who I think was the workshop foreman with the VW main dealer there. I believe he bought it from the original owner who had always had it serviced with the York dealer. Quite suddenly it seemed to disappear from the show scene and then I heard that it had been sold but I've never seen it since then. In my opinion what appears to have been done to it in the last 20 years is nothing short of vandalism to such an original and perfect car. However it seems that all the original parts are still with it and that it could be put back to standard if anyone wanted. Hopefully nothing has been cut away in the customising process. It would be great to see it 'restored' to its former glory.
RoRoVw
16 years ago
Just checked through my old magazines. This car is featured on the front cover of 'Safer Motoring', July 1982 when it won Class 2 (Beetles from '57 to '67) at Stanford Hall. The owner was Nigel Wilding from York.
I see that the bidding on ebay has ended early. Must be sold now.
mrsherbie
16 years ago
Wow, that is interesting and explains the low mileage & condition. I would think it will be looked after well now regardless. It certainly is an amazing car. Funny how someone can bolt on some repro aftermarket wheels & parts and think that they just made it 'cooler' than it already was :lol:

People get irritated about cars sitting in Museums/vw showrooms never getting 'used' but this is one uk car that should be taken off the road/indoors for exactly that purpose in my view. There are'nt many under 30k mile uk early beetles left if any?
I wonder if it has been devalued a little just by doing all that usual stuff to it. Lets hope that repro rack has'nt scratched the gutters and made the doors drop out of line... :roll: 🙂
harveypj
16 years ago
Sure is a nice car, but iI agree definantly in need of mod reversal.
The reg number '558' must be conected to low milage vintage beetles. 🙂
I found mine last year, also on ebay....1958....38K original milage totaly original. 😃  14536.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Stock......the new custom
RoRoVw
16 years ago
Fantastic find, I agree. Looks great.
Now where's that magazine to search for 558 numbers??
Delilah '62
16 years ago
Hi all,

I'm the proud new 'keeper' of the bug in question 😃

I'll soon be starting to research her history, so if any knows anything about her, or has a pictures etc I love to see them. I have a copy of the Safer Motoring '82 mag, MOTs back to the 80's and all the receipts for the new 'stuff' :? but that's it, so any info very gladly appreciated!!

She has her original wheels, tyres, gear stick etc and the previous owner made his alterations without cutting a thing.

J
Delilah. 1962 Beetle
24000 miles.... Nearly
(On FACEBOOK as Delilah Volkswagen)
harveypj
16 years ago
Congratulations, and welcome to the club.
What are your plans for your new toy?, are you going to leave it as is, or return it to its former glory?

"Stock is the new custom" 🙂 :lol:
Delilah '62
16 years ago
Hi,

Plan A is to hammer the overtime and recover financially!! :shock:
(I went out to buy a daily driver c.2-4k!!)

Even if I was a fan of 'tinkering' (which I ain't) this car now to me looks a bit half-way between styles so I plan to clean up and re-fit the old wheels and un-lower the front a bit.

I am no expert, but I think this car is a bit special and my priority is to maintain it - somewhat fortuitously my house happened to come with a heated garage so at least there's no rush :lol:
Delilah. 1962 Beetle
24000 miles.... Nearly
(On FACEBOOK as Delilah Volkswagen)
mrsherbie
16 years ago
Congrats it is a great car with no doubt 😃
'50 Karmann
16 years ago

"Stock is the new custom"

"harveypj" wrote:

Excellent 😃
Might borrow that one for my sig line.
harveypj
16 years ago
By all means, Thought it was pretty fitting of the current show scene.
It always seems to be the same, the smallest group represented at most shows is normally the 'stockers'. 😞

So go on 'Delilah' go wild and give it the full treatment and stand out in the crowd.
You could more than pay for your new look by selling all those......odds and ends.... :idea:
lifeintheslowlane
16 years ago

"Stock is the new custom"

"'50 Karmann" wrote:

Excellent 😃
Might borrow that one for my sig line.

"harveypj" wrote:

For F**k sake don't tell them that :shock: What happens when all those snotty-nosed youngsters turn up at shows in their stock cars, talking about the correct wheel rim colour codes and the merits of tubes in your cross-ply tyres.

WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO THEN. :?:

Meanwhile back on topic...Lovely car, needs to go back to stock 😃
John.