BUGBOY
16 years ago
Well this is my first post on this forum and was hoping to find some answers to a few questions.
First question is I have a January built 1949 beetle and was wondering what sort of bumpers It should have?
Any pictures would be great

Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
mrsherbie
16 years ago
I am sure you should have banana bumpers! Like on all the 40's cars. They are VERY hard to find genuine old. A nice man does repro them in (Austria or Germany, can never remember where he is) but will not post! which makes it hard for you!
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
harveypj
16 years ago
Speak to Barclay at 'Status VW', he sells German repro split bumpers in either plain steel or chrome finnish for £179ea.

😃

Failing that I was in 'KK' the other day and saw a good genuine front for about £270, can't remember exactly.  14512.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Stock......the new custom
mrsherbie
16 years ago
But if his car is Jan 49 he is looking for the earlier smooth type, not May/June49- grooved normal split type like pic. I think someone is US stocks the May/June49- type repros which would be nearer than uk, but cant remember who, the samba classifieds might turn them up. Ive also seen the repro banana overiders on there, it is getting the blades to Australia which will be the problem I think.
There was a good thread on these bumpers on this forum which is still here, do a search for this thread:
"Bannana Overriders Please?" ( thread started back in 2005!)

We have a couple of the normal split bumpers, it is finding good useable original fronts that is hard as they suffer so much more than rears, I got mine blasted and then cut & bent/pressed back into shape! :shock: Its not perfectly straight but suits my car and I didnt really want anything repro on it. Harder to do on a shiny car of course, repro probably the best option as old ones are nearly always rusty and or heavily pitted.
£270 for a good ORIGINAL front seems ok money for a straight/non rusty one to me!
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
Jules
16 years ago

Failing that I was in 'KK' the other day and saw a good genuine front for about £270, can't remember exactly.

"harveypj" wrote:

It's £195 (+ Vat), NOS but will need a blast!
Also have repro at £180.00
'50 Karmann
16 years ago
JAN '49,you need bumpers and overriders as in the attached picture.  14516.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
BUGBOY
16 years ago
Thanks for the info guys.
Looks like i don't have the correct bumpers on my car.
I guess my biggest problem is getting some and also someone that can ship them?
Here is whats on my car at the moment, It aslo have afew other bits that are not correct but these things take time.  14518.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
BUGBOY
10 years ago
Wow, been a while since I posted on here. Thought i'd up date on my car.
Bumpers are all on now and painted etc. Collected many parts from all over the world and made many great firends.
]UserPostedImage 

UserPostedImage 
pre67vw
10 years ago
Welcome back! Looks great! :beer: :thumbup:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Rich Oakley
10 years ago
Looking great!
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
BUGBOY
10 years ago
Thanks guys. It's not the easiest thing to find parts for. Would love to attend a swapmeet in europe but I know i'd better have deep pockets.
Will make a move to sell the old bumpers soon, be nice to find someone here that needs them here in Australia.
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
10 years ago
That looks nice :thumbup:

Andy W