48REME
  • 48REME
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
16 years ago
The VW Automuseum advised me that the wheels on my 1959 L14 Reseda Green Standard would have had the outer rim (nearer to the tyre) in a VW colour called L244 Moose Green, the inner rim being L87 Pearl white.
I have searched for this colour on the net but haven't found any trace of it yet, including the BASF lab which the Automuseum pointed me towards.
Does anybody have any suggestions please?
Here is a pic of the car when it was green. Hubcap seems to be L14 Reseda Green, the inner rim L87 Pearl White and maybe the outer rim in L244 Moose Green?!
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
pre67vw
16 years ago
L244 was Moss Green if thats any help...
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
48REME
  • 48REME
16 years ago
Ah well, that explains why I couldn't find it! They wrote Moose not Moss in their email! Thanks Rob 😃
pre67vw
16 years ago
😃  14977.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
48REME
  • 48REME
16 years ago
Even better...Thanks Rob! 😃
Etzhold1
16 years ago
Hey Rob,

Could you find the paint formula for L36 azur Blau for me !
Or post a link where I could look for it !
Thanks,

Guido
pre67vw
16 years ago

Hey Rob,

Could you find the paint formula for L36 azur Blau for me !
Or post a link where I could look for it !
Thanks,

Guido

"Etzhold1" wrote:

its on the glasurit site...  15021.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Etzhold1
16 years ago
tman
  • tman
  • pre67vw Junkie
16 years ago
While we're discussing paint and rather than start a new thread...

I need to get some L271 Texas Brown to paint a few repairs and I'm not sure how best to go about it.

Do I just call my local auto paint supplier and simply ask for L271 Texas Brown? Are they likely to be able to work from that or is it more usual to give them the Glasurit recipe?

Alternatively, what about giving them something to match to, would that be better?

Apologies for all the dumb questions but I have never bought car paint before other than aerosol cans from Halfords!
Andrew
195x Deluxe oval Beetle
Binz Doublecab
pre67vw
16 years ago

While we're discussing paint and rather than start a new thread...

I need to get some L271 Texas Brown to paint a few repairs and I'm not sure how best to go about it.

Do I just call my local auto paint supplier and simply ask for L271 Texas Brown? Are they likely to be able to work from that or is it more usual to give them the Glasurit recipe?

Alternatively, what about giving them something to match to, would that be better?

Apologies for all the dumb questions but I have never bought car paint before other than aerosol cans from Halfords!

"tman" wrote:

Do all the things you have said :wink: print the formula out on the offchance they can't find it. Tell them it's L271 Texas brown, that will enable them to get a close match to start with - then they can tint the mix to match any age related changes. Some colours are very sturdy and won't change, some fade, and some (mostly metallics) darken with age.

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
48REME
  • 48REME
16 years ago
I agree, colours do fade...Unfortunately, you may not be able to trust the true formula to match your existing paintwork. I would take a part from your car (glovebox, pope's nose, taillight housing or other...) and have them scan the part. A new formula closer to your Texas Brown as it appears today will be found.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
16 years ago
"Moos" is german for moss.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Etzhold1
16 years ago

Do all the things you have said :wink: print the formula out on the offchance they can't find it. Tell them it's L271 Texas brown, that will enable them to get a close match to start with - then they can tint the mix to match any age related changes. Some colours are very sturdy and won't change, some fade, and some (mostly metallics) darken with age.

I had to do some paint work for HESA ( Heikki) I was using the L36 number and the formula from the glassurit site to go too the paint shop but they could not help me, they needed a sample( taillight) They have scanned the color ! Tomorrow the parts will be painted, there is a trick to let the new paint look older ! But My Englisch is poor so its hard to explain that ?
I'll post a picture from the (painted) fenders and also the taillight (original paint) when they are ready !

Regards,

Guido

Etzhold1
16 years ago
Wheel is painted with L36 taken from a sample (paint was still wet when picture made)
Tailight in the wheel is still factory paint !
What do you think , Close enough??

Guido  15098.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
mrsherbie
16 years ago
Wow that is a close match!
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
heb623
16 years ago

But My Englisch is poor so its hard to explain that ?

Luckely for Hesa the paint job is better than your English! :lol:

:twisted: ET (Watch out today I am mean!!!)

ps: If you are willing to pay I always can make a translation for you! Where are friends for!!! :roll:
I ’ll never regret the things I did wrong!
I only regret the good things I did for the wrong people!
48REME
  • 48REME
16 years ago
Yes, that L36 match seems fantastic!
Does anybody have a pic of L244 Moss Green? Apparently, it was used on wheels of cabrios finished in Bamboo green body colour...
Etzhold1
16 years ago
ET,

Thanks for your nice reply !!!
If you had to pay me for all the things I did for you for free the last 10 years, you would not own that hebmuller anymore, it would be in my garage ! Things will change from now on !!

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Guido
And yes the paint job is better then my Poor Englisch, :idea: if I had the free time that you have, I would speak 25 languages Perfect  15130.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
heb623
16 years ago
:cry:

:twisted: ET :lol:
heb623
16 years ago
😞

:twisted: ET :lol: :lol: :lol: