tman
  • tman
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
15 years ago
My car has the (incorrect) single-bolt wheel cylinders on the front and I'm putting it back to 2-bolt.

It looks like I need to replace the drums because they are slightly too small for the 2-bolt backing plates.

Two questions...
1) Can I re-use the old 'single-bolt' shoes or are they the wrong size?
2) Any idea where I can get hold of a set a set of drums?

Cheers
Andrew
Andrew
195x Deluxe oval Beetle
Binz Doublecab
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Rich Oakley
15 years ago
Andrew,

I think you will need to replace the lot (backing plates, drums and shoes).

Rich.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
vintagevw
15 years ago
Yeah replace it all.
I have one front oval drum.
My friend has NOS ones I think.
He will come to Peppercorn.
Wat is het fijn om lesbisch te zijn!
tman
  • tman
15 years ago
Thanks for the replies. The MOT test date was looming over me when I posted originally, so I took the easy option and purchased a pair of single-bolt cylinders to use with the current drums.

I still have the two-bolt backing plates and cylinders and I'll casually keep an eye open for a bargain set of drums! :wink:

With hindsight, I should have had the old drums skimmed before re-fitting them, but I didn't have time to start looking for a local machine shop to do it. The brakes are pretty good now but it has taken around 700 miles to bed the new shoes into the old scored drums. I guess towing that heavy trailer to Lavenham and back finally did the trick!
Andrew
195x Deluxe oval Beetle
Binz Doublecab
tman
  • tman
15 years ago

My friend has NOS ones I think.
He will come to Peppercorn.

vintagevw wrote:

Missed that... I'm not in a hurry to buy these any longer, but would you mind asking what your friend wants for them please?
Andrew
195x Deluxe oval Beetle
Binz Doublecab