jonathan.28
15 years ago
Hi

Can anyone help with explaining how my horn should be wired? (63 Beetle)
I've obviously done some wrong when I put everything back together, as it used to work. I think that my steering column is not going to earth anywhere, because if I take a wire to earth from the horn push the horn sounds. Am I making any sense? Basically I think if I earth the column the horn will be fine, but where should it be earthed? :oops:

Thanks
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Ovalbug
15 years ago
Hi,
Have a look here
www.thebugshop.org/gotech.htm under 'horn wiring hell' and www.wolfsburgwest.com/wired/wired_12_00/wired_12_00.htm

Both sites have loads of info; my '63 Ghia was really bodged about when I restored it but helped by those 2 sites I was able to wire up the horn to work first time!
Don't ask me how I did it, :lol: ,as I can't really remember!
I do remember though that there is a spade connector on the end of the steering column steel tube under the fuel tank for the horn earth!
That may help determine what set-up your own '63 may have as I'm sure a Beetle of the same year as my Ghia would be the same?
:wink:
'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
'72 1302LS Karmann Cabrio RHD
jonathan.28
15 years ago
Ah, many thanks. I remember the spade you mention below the fuel tank! It has another earth on it, but I can double them up. Brilliant, thanks! 😃