Andy Day
15 years ago
Hi there anyone.
I have had a go at making some heart shaped tail light lenses, seeing as i have access to the technology to do this. What i was woundering was, is anyone interested in these sort of repo's. I can do them in either red, or if you like orange so that it can be used as an indicator. Any production runs done would be VERY LIMITED, ie 15 to 20 pairs at a time only.

So, anyone intrested and if so, what sort of price do you think they could go for, taking into account that the procces for making them is not cheap.

[img]https://https://s278.photobucket.com/albums/kk87/AndyD2008/[/img]

I hope the images of them appeare so you can see them, if not i shall try another way.

Okey dokey, hope to hear from you. 🙂
Oooohh, air cooled !!
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Andy Day
15 years ago
Sorry, dont think the images worked, so shall try here.

:?  15655.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Oooohh, air cooled !!
Andy Day
15 years ago
Here's the red ones. 🙂  15656.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Oooohh, air cooled !!
Phillmore
15 years ago
Hi Andy - those heart lenses look absolutely superb! These will be popular for sure; all the ones i had have become brittle with age and UV degredation. The amber will help to sort out the problem of providing turn indicators for other motorists to see which way i intend going - people just arent used to looking for indicators on the side or for the stock semaphores.

I will email you for further details.

Thanks.

Phill Thomas.
If in doubt - cut it out
Caledfryn
15 years ago
I'd be interested in a set of the amber ones.

Andy Day
15 years ago
Hi Caledfryn

I am going to Lavenham, so what i might do is run 2 or 3 pairs off of the orange and the same for the red and bring them along to see if people are interested and check out the quality.

If you want to get in quike for a pair, then have a chat to Phillmore, or Phill as i know him, he can point me out at the show.

Hope to see you there.
😃
Oooohh, air cooled !!
Ovalbug
15 years ago
Hi Andy,
I'd be interested in a set of amber lenses, I emailed you via this website this morning.................

Cheers,

Paul
'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
'72 1302LS Karmann Cabrio RHD
Andy Day
15 years ago
Hi there,

for those of you interested in the amber lenses, i have worked out a price on cost of materials, tooling and finishing time and it works out, with a little for me, at £50 a pair.

I know this may be a bit more than the usual repros, but then they are probably mass produced where as the process that i use is for small production runs of 15 to 20 parts, so a bit more expensive.

I hope that this dosen't put people off and those of you who have mailed replys here feel this is a resonable price.

Anyway, hope this helps people, Andy. 🙂
Oooohh, air cooled !!
Andy Day
15 years ago
Hi there,

Just a pic to show one of the amber lenses in place so you can see what it may look like. Ok, it's not on an oval, i stuck it on my 66 with blue tak, just before i started rubbing down the wing ready for a bit of paint.

If people are interested in them, the price dose includ packaging and posting to anywhere in the UK.

Andy. 🙂  15973.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Oooohh, air cooled !!
Ovalbug
15 years ago
Just a quick note to say I took delivery of a set of amber hearts today from Andy; they are beautiful and as perfect a fit as original OE lenses :d .
Thanks very much Andy!

:wink:
'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
'72 1302LS Karmann Cabrio RHD
Bert53
15 years ago
Nice job Andy - it's nice to see there are still a few true craftsmen around in this day. :d

See you at Lavenham.

John
Andy Day
15 years ago
Thanks ovalbug, glad you like them. 🙂
Oooohh, air cooled !!
Andy Day
15 years ago
I still have a few sets of the amber lenses if anyone is still interested...:d
Oooohh, air cooled !!
vw54oval
15 years ago
Hi there,

Hi Andy, im assuming that the price you have written above, is £163.50 for a pair. Is this correct????:?
tman
  • tman
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

& # 163;50 a pair.

Andy Day wrote:

Hi there,

Hi Andy, im assuming that the price you have written above, is £163.50 for a pair. Is this correct????:?

vw54oval wrote:

I believe the "& # 163;" part is an artifact from the old forum software that didn't translate when it was upgraded recently. "& # 163;" also represents the £ (pound) sign so by all accounts they are £50per pair.
Andrew
195x Deluxe oval Beetle
Binz Doublecab
Andy Day
15 years ago
Hi there vw54oval,

yea, there seems to be a slight translation error as explained by tman, they are at £50 a pair, not £163.50!!!! This also includes postage.
Hope that clears things up. :-)

Oooohh, air cooled !!
Andy Day
15 years ago
Still have some pairs left if anyone still interested?
Oooohh, air cooled !!
Andy Day
15 years ago
Hi all, just heard from a friend that someone on another web site has labelled these tail light lenses as 'cheap and nasty':evil:
I can assure you that these are not cheap and nasty, they where originally made for a friend who asked if it was possible for me to make them seeing as the work I do is in the manufacture of polymer products. My friend lent me his original red lenses and from them I made the mould tool, so they are an exact copy of original VW lenses. They are made with a special 2 part thermosetting polymer that is actually quite expensive. After I had made the copies for my friend, which he found to be of excelent quality, he suggested that, if it where possible, I could make a few and see if anyone wanted some seeing as there are people out there who where getting these dual bulb holders, so I have. To be honest, I originally did this as a favour and just thought other people might like some at what I consider a reasonable price. What I didn't expect was to be 'slagged off' for just trying to help someone and recoup some costs.

Anyway, had my grumble:? , and if anyone is interested I do have a few pairs still.....8)

Oooohh, air cooled !!