Volkswagen Weddings
15 years ago
Hi There, I'm currently restoring a 59' and got the body off.

Does anybody have a copy of the original body dimensions out of the VW service manuals for the Cabriolet?

Just wanted to carry out an overall dimension check before I start cutting!!!!!!

Regards,
Stuart.
http://www.hannoverheritage.co.uk 
"Restorer's of classic Volkswagens"

My babies:
59' Vert
62' 23 window samba
67' Westfalia
68' Westfalia
68' Delux microbus
70' Westfalia
70' Stingray Corvette
77' Westfalia
88' T25 Panel
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago
No, but I can measure my 58 if you need any specific dimensions. TBH I'm not even sure that just measuring is the best way to deal with the problem.

What sort of state is the car in? Post pics.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Volkswagen Weddings
15 years ago
Hi JD,

Thanks for the offer. I'm sure the service manuals would have had body dimensions? I know they were done for the T2a. Anyway that would be great if you could take upper body dimension diagonal measurments for me, anything is a start.

I'm not splitting the front end from the back and I know that the front has had a light touch so it's more a case of making sure it's square.

As for the restoration, it's a case of fitting it in between others. At the moment the bodys off, floorpans had new pans, pans powder coated and refinished in 2 pack on top. bodys ready for blasting at the end of the month.
( not sure how to post pics on a thread yet)

Regards,
Stuart.

My babies:
59' Vert
62' 23 window samba
67' Westfalia
68' Westfalia
68' Delux microbus
70' Westfalia
70' Stingray Corvette
77' Westfalia
88' T25 Panel
djkeev
15 years ago
Hi,

I do have many body and pan dimensions for the early beetles, they haven't been easy to find and have taken a lot of effort to gather. I've talked to VWoNA I've talked to the publishers of the Bentley manual and investigated many other sources all to no avail. I always assumed that somewhere a blueprint exists, it probably does but after literally months of searching I've yet to locate it! The best "blueprint" I've located is a shop drawing showing interior dimension and ground clearance and such.
Email me at [email protected] tell me what you are needing and I'll send it to you as an attached file.

Dave
"If you don't have the time to do it right the first time, when will you find the time to do it over again later?"
Volkswagen Weddings
15 years ago
Hi Dave,
Thanks for the reply,

I have the body separated from the pan now and really wanted to do a quick overal check to see if the body was square, eg measuring top of windscreen aperture diagonally across to top front corner of rear quarter panel. I have just purchased a 58-60 bentley manual but the only vague resemblence of a dimension check is a template/jig that measure the rake of the winscreen aperture and what can only be decribed as a set of trammel gauges from top of winscreen aperture to top of rear quarter. I could just carry out a diagonal check to just see if the body was square with a tape measure but I just need to rest my mind. The old girl has had a few bangs and knocks in her time and I just want her right.

So if you have anything remotely like a repair dimension check list then that would be great.

Kind regards,
Stuart.

My babies:
59' Vert
62' 23 window samba
67' Westfalia
68' Westfalia
68' Delux microbus
70' Westfalia
70' Stingray Corvette