mrsherbie
15 years ago
We went to Groombridge Place Gardens 'Wings Wheels & Steam' last Sunday and this was parked opposite. It looked in very good shape and with most original old parts to me with my very limited knowledge of Kubels, missing just a few odd bits to make it correct again. I didnt really talk to the man although he was very helpful but I just couldnt wait for him to finish a long winded story that in places I silently realised I possibly knew more about the vehicle spec than he did :oops: so sorry for my lack of patience :lol:

But I did wonder why, when they had only 3 Kubels did it end up on the wrong pan? Deliberately by Humber? ( Probably, when they wrote how rubbish it was, but secretly knew it was a very good vehicle 😳 :lol: ) Or simply by accident?

I guess there might have been a write up in a uk magazine from the distant past? Anyone else know it?

All I know is that even not being into Kubels I would really like to own this one if it's history/provenance is true!

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
356boy
15 years ago
EEEEEEEEEEEEEK! could you please remove these pictures or at least blot out the symbol on the door
Rich Oakley
15 years ago
Anna.

I have an original copy of the 1943 Humber report. Only one vehicle is refered to throughout (from what I recall) and this indeed was a '41 model.
I am away from home at the mo, but I'll check when I get back next week.

If this is the vehicle refered to (or at least the chassis), then it probably is the oldest VW chassis in the UK.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
GKL 7
15 years ago

EEEEEEEEEEEEEK!

356boy wrote:

:lol:
Rich Oakley
15 years ago
...just got back home and checked my Humber report. Only ONE vehicle is stripped in the report. It states as follows: "In January 1943 , a German light aid detatchment vehicle (Volkswagen) was received by Humber Ltd, who were instructed to make a complete examination and prepare a technical report. The vehicle was captured in the Middle East (NOT TUNISIA/NORTH AFRICA) and it was ascertained that it was originally fitted with a gas welding kit for dealing with repairs to military vehicles..."

The following details are also given at the start of the report...

Engine capacity: 985cc
Year of manufacture: 1941
Ambi Budd Presswerk body no: 1777
Chassis number: 001339.

I've seen no references elsewhere to other vehicles being used as reference material in the writing of the Humber report. Would love to have a chat with the owner to find out what his take on the vehicle is...
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
mrsherbie
15 years ago

EEEEEEEEEEEEEK! could you please remove these pictures or at least blot out the symbol on the door

356boy wrote:

Given its seemingly genuine provenance I thought best not to mess with history so NO!

Thanks Rich, I only have the US report not the Humber one although I remember reading it in full somewhere years ago.
I think the guy has only owned it for 3/4 years. Its funny but when I see Kubels especially with straight looking bodies I almost instantly write them off as 'over-restored' even though given the timeline it is inevitable.
I think the coolest one to own would be a really knocked about one with lumpy bumpy patched up original skin. Oh in fact actually my favorite ever is the Grundmann's wonderful grey one.
That's just magic :d
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
reminou75
15 years ago

Its funny but when I see Kubels especially with straight looking bodies I almost instantly write them off as 'over-restored' even though given the timeline it is inevitable.

mrsherbie wrote:

hmmm... :? I often think about the brand new ones, made in Czech Republic... Not original at all, but absolutely perfect repro... :shock: