Delilah '62
15 years ago
Hi all,

I have a dilemma...
I purchased a very lovely Pearl White '62 earlier this year.
She is in fantastic unrestored condition, with only 23,000 miles on the clock (genuine!).

But:

Her last keeper cal looked her 😳 - new engine, wheels, dropped spindles, spax etc.

However, I have the original motor and wheels...:d

My dilemma is thus:
I paid top dollar for this fabulous car (as a resto cal) BUT I like stock cars.

If I return her to stock, I can afford the work (I can't work on her myself) but not a hit on the value. So, if I return her to stock condition will I lose value on the car? :shock: Would I be better off selling as is and buying a stocker? (Not ideal as I desperately want to 'save' her - but I'm on NHS money!!)

Help - any advice?!!

Delilah. 1962 Beetle
24000 miles.... Nearly
(On FACEBOOK as Delilah Volkswagen)
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Rich Oakley
15 years ago
I've seen your car in the flesh and its fantstic- definitely a good decision by you to purchase! I certainly would keep hold of such a rare, low mileage RHD car and return to stock. You could always sell the unwanted parts (front beam, wheels, engine etc) to pay for the work required.

Good luck and look after it well!
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
six-o-one
15 years ago
If it were me, I'd put it back to stock and sell all the 'upgrades' to re-coupe some of the purchase price.

I think a car like that is worth far more in original condition than as it is, but that's just my opinion!

:d

(or, keep all the bits and if you ever want to sell it as a resto-cal you still have that option!)
Delilah '62
15 years ago
Thanks for the advice,

Was told that as a stock she'd be worth thousands less and having blown my savings on her (and probably overpaid - but once in love...) I was getting a little nervous!!

I think back to stock, in time anyway...

Rich - where/when did you see her?

J
Delilah. 1962 Beetle
24000 miles.... Nearly
harveypj
15 years ago

Was told that as a stock she'd be worth thousands less J

Delilah '62 wrote:

It may appeal to a smaller market, but I think the value would be much the same. I found my car a few months before you but if I had still been looking and this 62 had come up I'd have paid the price (saw it on piston heads) but only because it was revertable back to stock, and thats exactly what I'd do...back to stock.
This year at Peppercorn I had someone willing to pay above market value for my car because of its originality/condition. Had it been lowered I doubt he'd have been so keen or even considered it.
(did'nt sell and not planning to by the way)
So if you like stock I'd go for it.
Stock......the new custom
six-o-one
15 years ago

This year at Peppercorn I had someone willing to pay above market value for my car because of its originality/condition. Had it been lowered I doubt he'd have been so keen or even considered it.
(did'nt sell and not planning to by the way)
So if you like stock I'd go for it.

harveypj wrote:

Was he an Irish gentleman by any chance?

harveypj
15 years ago

Was he an Irish gentleman by any chance?

six-o-one wrote:

No, looks like there might be at least 2 people with a similar shopping list then.
Stock......the new custom
Delilah '62
15 years ago
Thanks all :lol:
Delilah. 1962 Beetle
24000 miles.... Nearly