tman
  • tman
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
15 years ago
The 60's gearbox on our oval is in a bad way. We've been offered an oval split case gearbox but it doesn't come with driveshafts. Will the driveshafts fitted to our 60's gearbox fit?

In actual fact it may well be that our oval still has its original driveshafts fitted. Is there a way to readily differentiate between 54 and 60's driveshafts?
Andrew
195x Deluxe oval Beetle
Binz Doublecab
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Rich Oakley
15 years ago
Will be exactly the same.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
tman
  • tman
15 years ago
That's good news. Thanks for your help, Rich. :d
Andrew
195x Deluxe oval Beetle
Binz Doublecab
Judson53
15 years ago
I mite be wrong here and prably am,with the split case boxes dont you have to split the case to remove the drive shafts and its a bit of a pain

just wondering as my old gearbox is taking up to much room and could do with removing them
harveypj
15 years ago
Afraid so...:(
Stock......the new custom
tman
  • tman
15 years ago

We've been offered an oval split case gearbox but it doesn't come with driveshafts.

tman wrote:

It turns out it's not a split case gearbox. :cry: Does anyone here have one for sale?
Andrew
195x Deluxe oval Beetle
Binz Doublecab
Etzhold1
15 years ago
A friend was calling me yesterday and told me he found a complete gearbox, drum to drum !
I'll ask him if he's selling it !
Shipping to the UK is not a problem, BBT can deliver for him !

Regards,

Guido
tman
  • tman
15 years ago
Many thanks Guido. :beer:

I would like to get the car on the road again quickly! Have you spoken with your friend yet? I can easily buy a 60's gearbox but I would prefer to wait a short time for a split case.
Andrew
195x Deluxe oval Beetle
Binz Doublecab
Etzhold1
15 years ago

Many thanks Guido. :beer:

I would like to get the car on the road again quickly! Have you spoken with your friend yet? I can easily buy a 60's gearbox but I would prefer to wait a short time for a split case.

tman wrote:

Yes yesterday, he"s gone sell it but he want to test ist first !
He don't like to sell a bad working gearbox !
I have a few pictures from the gearbox in this LinkGearbox 
I think its a october 56 gearbox
I'll let you know if the gearbox is OK and also the price !

Regards,

Guido
Judson53
15 years ago
Sory to hijack the thread,but whiel were talking about gearboxes,my split case box makes a wearing sound at about 40 mph+,and goes you put ur foot on the clutch,is this normal for this type of box?

thanks guys
tman
  • tman
15 years ago

I'll let you know if the gearbox is OK and also the price !

Etzhold1 wrote:

Thanks Guido.

I still need a split gearbox but it is not urgent now so please don't hurry just for me.

I have fixed the 'major' problem with my current gearbox so it does not have to come off the car straightaway, but it still needs to be replaced! :oops:
Andrew
195x Deluxe oval Beetle
Binz Doublecab