pammer
15 years ago
I've recently had the king and link pins replaced. (A guided adjustable reamer was used for the king pins)

The problem I have is adjusting them to take up any play. The manuals tell you to tighten up the the link pin really tight then loosen it slightly, but if I loosen it slightly I can feel play and if you look really carefully you can see a very slight movement in the king/link pin area.

I'm assuming having any play is a bad thing because over time this will turn into lots of play. So it the moment the link pins are adjusted up to the point where there is no play, which is quite tight.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

I would like to add that I was happy with the quality of the king pin set but the link pin set was a bit "mexican" quality, but when I installed it I could seen no reason why it shouldn't work.

I am at my wits end with this, please help!
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
harveypj
15 years ago
By tightening up hard it ensures all play is removed but leaves touching surfaces loaded causing binding that would lead to wear.
Loosen off to remove the load but then just nip back up again to prevent the pin loosening, as you would adjust a tapered wheel bearing.
Stock......the new custom
pammer
15 years ago
Thank you, your explanation makes more sense. The manuals were telling me to loosen off by a specific number of degrees, which wasn't working for my car.

Just out of interest has any one run-in a new set of king and link pins? Will I be constantly adjusting them for the first 100/1000 miles? It would be really helpful to know what to expect.

Pam x
Rich Oakley
15 years ago

Thank you, your explanation makes more sense. The manuals were telling me to loosen off by a specific number of degrees, which wasn't working for my car.

Just out of interest has any one run-in a new set of king and link pins? Will I be constantly adjusting them for the first 100/1000 miles? It would be really helpful to know what to expect.

Pam x

pammer wrote:

You shouldn't need to touch them at all-just keep them well greased. They will, of course, wear with long-term use and will someday require adjustment.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.