zehbeh
15 years ago
are they spray painted or painted with a brush?
Rach66
15 years ago
They look great, even if they aren't quite the right colour beige:d
54 Gertie
15 years ago

are they spray painted or painted with a brush?

zehbeh wrote:

Just a pot of Humbrol and a very small brush, the sort of this that you would get in an Airfix kit!:wink: :lol:
William
zehbeh
15 years ago

Just a pot of Humbrol and a very small brush, the sort of this that you would get in an Airfix kit!:wink: :lol:

54 Gertie wrote:

Takes an hour or more per hubcap?
I will try that too, I don't like the stickers. So I have to peel them off. But I will try on an old hubcab first.

Gertie, the Keder has to be in Ruby red too, not black. Keder is the german word for the cords between wing and body, sorry I don't know the english word.

Christian

And another picture of the wheels, taken outside, where the beige looks a bit brighter.  IMG_0505a.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
54 Gertie
15 years ago
Yeah that looks more like it!:d 😎

By Keder I think you mean wing beading, the rubber that goes between the body and wing?:wink:

Mine is black which is indeed incorrect! I am trying to hunt down some Ruby Red stuff and there are a few companies that sell it, but I am not convinced it will look right! It is just called red, rather than Ruby Red and I suspect it is to light!:? :wink:

And yes, the hubcaps will take an hour each! Well, allmost!:lol:

Good luck!:beer: 😎
William
zehbeh
15 years ago
I got the wing beading from ebay. It was called RUby red, not only red.
My car was repainted a few years ago and the ruby red beading fits perfect.

I just had a look at Ebay, and the same seller offers them again:

https://cgi.ebay.de/VW-Kaefer-Ovali-etc-Satz-Kotfluegelkeder-Keder-Rubinrot_W0QQitemZ390029540680QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutoteile_Zubeh%C3%B6r?hash=item390029540680&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318 

Christian
54 Gertie
15 years ago
Many Thanks Christian!

I will look into that!:d

I am severly poor at them moment so I may just live with the black for a while!:wink: :roll:

Cheers!:beer:
William
harveypj
15 years ago
An alternative method for painting the hub cap logos is to overspray the entire logo with black satin paint using an spray can, and then using a cloth and thinners carefully rub away the paint that is not required. Fine detail can be enhanced using a craft knife as a scraper.
I used this method with very good results.
 _X3M0563 (2).jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Stock......the new custom
54 Gertie
15 years ago

An alternative method for painting the hub cap logos is to overspray the entire logo with black satin paint using an spray can, and then using a cloth and thinners carefully rub away the paint that is not required. Fine detail can be enhanced using a craft knife as a scraper.
I used this method with very good results.

harveypj wrote:

Yes I did consider this method after you described it to me at Peppercorn! I may give it a go with some satin that I have bought for the engine tin!

My only worry is that becasue my hubcaps are showing signs of age and they are pitting, that the paint will sit in the rusty pitted bits and look odd!:roll: :lol:

I really should just replace them with new ones but I am not in the habit of changing things because of a bit of rust! Its character!

(not to mention the fact that I cant afford them anyway!:wink: :lol: )

Cheers!

William