stickman
15 years ago
Anyone konw how to tell original 1960 type front wings from reproductions? I have been told that there is a difference in width? I don't think mine are the originals but do not know how to tell!
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
six-o-one
15 years ago
Hi,
I've got a couple of original early 60's wings in my cellar
They're much heavier then the repros, the bulge above the headlight is more pronounced too, more like the oval ones.
Also the pressing around edges are much neater. And as you say, I think they may be a little deeper/wider then repros.

Malc
vintagevw
15 years ago

Anyone konw how to tell original 1960 type front wings from reproductions? I have been told that there is a difference in width? I don't think mine are the originals but do not know how to tell!

stickman wrote:

Maybe post some pictures....
Wat is het fijn om lesbisch te zijn!
Rich Oakley
15 years ago
1960 is a funny model year. I had always assumed that 1960 models had the '1958/59 post Oval' type of wing (ie: metal headlamp tube, unique pressing in the headlight bucket, same profile as late Oval wing).
UserPostedImage
Brown wing is Oval, Blue wing is '58/59 style' (note different pressing at the back of the headlight bowl).

However, I have owned three original 1960 model cars and two of them had the '58/59' style wings and one of them had the later 1961> profile wings. I thought that maybe they had just fitted later wings, but they were definitely original to the car and the inner wings had no holes for the headlamp tube mounting.

Check your inner wing (if it is original) and check for the headlamp tube mounting point adjacent to the headlamp bucket- you should see one hole about 20mm across and two smaller holes above and below the 20mm hole.

For reference:

58/59:
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
stickman
15 years ago
Wow! Thanks Rich. That is really helpfull. I have taken some photos before reading your reply. Unfortunately i don't know how to post them here:cry:

I will check my inner wings. The car is really solid and i do not think has been welded. Work has been done though and paint has been applied, but i am 90% certain the inner wings are genuine.

Thanks once more. Perhaps you can give me an idiots guide to posting photos and i will try my best with the inner wing photos! :d

six-o-one
15 years ago

Perhaps you can give me an idiots guide to posting photos and i will try my best with the inner wing photos! :d

stickman wrote:

Here you go...

https://forums.pre67vw.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=16087 

stickman
15 years ago
Well,

I guess I'm not destined to post any pics on here, no battery left in my camera!

Still having looked at the inner wings tonight there is definately only one hole for the rubber wire conduit. So I guess the car was always fitted with post Oval wings which is good news if replacements are needed:d

However I am still unsure as to the history of the current wings and do not know if mine are repros or genuine articles:roll: