barkafer
15 years ago
Hi Folks,

This is my first post so I'll intoduce myself. My name is Chris and I've loved VW's all my life. Any shape or size!
I am currently the owner of a '98 Passat (for work), a '99 Sharan (family) and more interestingly a 1200 '67 T1 which I have been told is a rear Spa Kafer. She is in my garage at present waiting for me to start work on her.
For 41 years she's in pretty good nick. However she does need a new floor a couple of doors and side trays and a new rear valance.
The valance is proving to be an awkward part to source:? so I figured the best place to come would be this site.
Any advice will be much appreciated.:d

Here's a few photo's of my baby! Warts and all!
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Great site by the way:d
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
stickman
15 years ago
Hello and welcome :lol:

Sorry i wouldn't know about the valance, but i expect Karmann Konnection would be able to help. Jules often posts on here, and i have got various parts from them.

I don't think you are far from me, i'm in Spalding.

What colour is your 67?
pre67vw
15 years ago
Welcome to the forum!!

'67 is a one year only rear valance, not sure if yours is different than other '67s? Kind of looks like a hole for a starter handle, although the bracket covers it.

However, it doesn't look too bad, rather than trying to source a replacement - just get someone who knows what they are doing to repair the rusted area.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
54 Gertie
15 years ago
Looks really cool!

Cant help with any bits but just wondering, is it just me or does it have a reserve tap in the normal place on the bulkhead like 50s bugs?
William
six-o-one
15 years ago
Yep, they don't have fuel gauges!
They are how the 'standard' base model continued through the 60s.
:d

barkafer
15 years ago
[quote=stickman]Hello and welcome :lol:

Sorry i wouldn't know about the valance, but i expect Karmann Konnection would be able to help. Jules often posts on here, and i have got various parts from them.

I don't think you are far from me, i'm in Spalding.

What colour is your 67?

Thanks for the tip. I think it's VW blue, but I'm not sure. Are you on allduzklub?
barkafer
15 years ago
[quote=54 Gertie]Looks really cool!

Cant help with any bits but just wondering, is it just me or does it have a reserve tap in the normal place on the bulkhead like 50s bugs?

Yes. No fuel guage and the tap is in the usual place.
zelensis61
15 years ago
Hello,
Actualy it is not called a "spa" but "Spahr".
And that is German for : savings.
It was to create a ( standard ) beetle for less money at a time the standard was not made anymore.
Most of the parts came from 6volt generations and most of them the old series.
A friend had one previous, a 65 and it was still with an oval drivetrain, splitcase gearbox ...All original even the steering wheel was an Oval one.
Greetings.

ZELENSIS, coachbuilt body from the 50's on a vw platform made in Belgium. Peter the heb detective
Richard
15 years ago
This is how I did mine. Was the only option. I have seen a few NOS valances at shows last year though.
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
I sneakily managed to get hold of one which was rotten from the seal down, it was rotten with rust, and had been covered in fibre glass. I cut the seal retaining strip off, and cut around that section. I then got the new repro valance, stripped it of all its guts, and grafted them together, checking regularly that it was going in the right place. The inner skin was also rotten, and is a different shape on the repro, so also cut n welded them together.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

I've got no decent pics of the valance once it was painted, these are the only ones I've got...

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
barkafer
15 years ago
Thanks pal. Great pics. Looks like my V has rusted in the same places. It has filler everywhere and the inner is badly rusted too. Wher did you get the repro panel from?

Thanks to all you other guys for the comments too. Much appreciated:d I need all the help I can get to restore my baby!
barkafer
15 years ago
Removed the engine saturday and found some evidence of minor collision damage.:cry:
UserPostedImage
Damage inside the rear n/s wing.
UserPostedImage
And the rusted valance.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
KK and Volkshaven are trying to source the valance for me. I have to get a welder first though:roll:
stickman
15 years ago
That should keep you out of mischief for a while!

It will be worth it in the end as your Beetle is quite a rare one I guess. I never knew you could buy a beetle so late on without a fuel guage! :shock:
Dubster
15 years ago
Hello Chris,

That will be a lovely rare car when you've finished, it may be worth trying these guys for a rear valance, I know that they did have stock of NOS ones last year.

https://shop.volkswarenhaus.de/index.php/language/en/cat/c725_Tail-panel.html 

They are nearly 300 euros though, the part number is 801 111 303 .

I love VW Blue '67s, I have a 1500 one 🙂 Are you planning on keeping it stock? It does look like it's running an alternator, so it must have been converted to 12 volts in the past.

Please keep us all informed of your progress.

cheers

Richard
December 1966 UK 1500 Beetle
barkafer
15 years ago
Thanks for that Richard. Top tip! I checked the site and they are shown as 261.00 euros plus p&p. Did you have to replace the valance on your 1500?
Oh, and yes she will be kept stock as can be. She has been converted to 12v by a previous owner though.
barkafer
15 years ago
Overdue update....!
After months of searching I found a donor rear end on VZI:d Happy days. The welding will be carried out by a professional. I know my limitations! The C pillars are in pretty bad shape, having been filled.
Here's a few pics.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Donor pillars are in much better shape.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
And the rear end.
UserPostedImage
The rotten engine bay vent.
UserPostedImage
And the donor.
UserPostedImage