Sunroof53
15 years ago
Does anyone know who bought it ? i will search the loft again today for more Rattletrap features .Theres some mileage in this thread yet.No pun intended:wink:
stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago
i had 2nd refusual, i was ready to buy it!, the guy who bought it knew tony & his wife for years..
Sunroof53
15 years ago
I have found the write up in vw motoring which gives pictures and details of the repairs.

i will scan them asap.Someone on here will eat there words :twisted:
Sunroof53
15 years ago
https://magnifier.sourceforge.net/  .Note plan B.
Could still be open for disscussion for those in denial:wink:
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

54 Gertie
15 years ago
Great! But my eyes hurt! :lol:

But im still confused? Was it a complete new shell or did they cut just a bit and weld it onto the original?:?

Sorry if im missing something obvious!:lol: :wink: :roll: :d
William
Sunroof53
15 years ago

Great! But my eyes hurt! :lol:

But im still confused? Was it a complete new shell or did they cut just a bit and weld it onto the original?:?

Sorry if im missing something obvious!:lol: :wink: :roll: :d

54 Gertie wrote:

Well i have to say it is a little suspicious that they should choose to spray that bit above the rear window, as i have a feeling they grafted that bit in to a doner oval shell and the weld would have been clear from underneath.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

54 Gertie wrote:

Quoting from the article...

"...Rattletraps NEW BODY is aquiring coat upon coat..."

How´s that crow taste?:lol: :lol:
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Sunroof53
15 years ago
Slightly off topic ,But when i was looking through the 90-91 vw motorings i had ,i picked up a Sept 89 copy and found this

UserPostedImage

Thinking to myself that was a nice rhd oval ,i then notice its a sunroof model and green.A quick read of the text and i realise its my car with its original reg no:shock: .This is one thing that has eluded me about the car especially as the previous owners (after steve parker)had tried to find this out.Steve clearly sold the number on before he sold it to Brett.
With the original reg i stand a chance of finding the history ,or at least where it was first registered .If it wasnt for this thread(now on topic) i may never have found it.:d
Etzhold1
15 years ago
that floor pan is post 54 !:roll:
the engine is a late 30 ps engine :roll: the transaxle maybe even later !:roll:
Front axle is oval area !:roll:
That body is not the same body that was crashed !:oops:
the rear window is welded in ! :roll:
If you ask me but you don't:wink: , this hole ratle C(t)rap story is crap and bassed on cheating !:evil:

Guido:wink:

54 Gertie
15 years ago

that floor pan is post 54 !:roll:
the engine is a late 30 ps engine :roll: the transaxle maybe even later !:roll:
Front axle is oval area !:roll:
That body is not the same body that was crashed !:oops:
the rear window is welded in ! :roll:
If you ask me but you don't:wink: , this hole ratle C(t)rap story is crap and bassed on cheating !:evil:

Guido:wink:

Etzhold1 wrote:

Good eyes!:wink:

I can see that they have sprayed with black primer, any areas that have been welded together or bare metaled like for example the heater baffles underneath the rear seat. They have done the same, as others have said above the rear window where you would weld a new clip in![-x

The chassis is (i think) and as Guido says of the later type! If im not mistaken post 55 year model due to the more forward location of the heater control knob! :roll: :wink: :lol:

I wont pretend that I can identify an oval beam from split one...:oops: :lol:

So yes, a car that I would not touch with a barge pole! Well, not at the price that I have a feeling they would want for a piece of "history":wink:
William
pre67vw
15 years ago
I'm sorry, but I still don't see anything I would consider proof of a new shell. The black above the rear window could quite as easily be that it was a new roof put on from the rear window forward?

Quoting from the article...

"...Rattletraps NEW BODY is aquiring coat upon coat..."

How´s that crow taste?:lol: :lol:

JD wrote:

Still not convinced I'm afraid, I would say magazines use this phrase any time a lot of work has been completed. It sounds to me like the article is deliberately vague though.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
54 Gertie
15 years ago
Any chance of a slightly higher resolution scan? Im sure we could tell more if we could zoom in on things like striker plates and the under bonnet area! :wink:

It just pixelates whenever I zoom in!

William
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

I'm sorry, but I still don't see anything I would consider proof of a new shell. The black above the rear window could quite as easily be that it was a new roof put on from the rear window forward?

Still not convinced I'm afraid, I would say magazines use this phrase any time a lot of work has been completed. It sounds to me like the article is deliberately vague though.

pre67vw wrote:

It does sound deliberately vague - not wanting to drop Tony in it I imagine.

The whole thing totally reads like they re-shelled it though. Paraphrased, it reads... "They looked at it, wondered how on earth they were going to be able to fix it and decided on "plan B", which somehow heavily involved a new body. Which explains how they´d fixed it up so quickly when we (the intrepid reporters) arrived". The other reference to a new body and saying that this bodyshell "has become Rattletrap black". Pretty conclusive, or? I remember the wrecked car and it was BAD. They might have got some decent panels off the side away from the accident damage, but the rest was kippered. Dash, inner structure, roof, just destroyed.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Etzhold1
15 years ago

I wont pretend that I can identify an oval beam from split one...:oops: :lol:

54 Gertie wrote:

Gertie , from now on, you can !!!!  IMG_6494.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.  IMG_6495.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.
GKL 7
15 years ago
Rattletrap is beginning to sound like that Johnny Cash song about the car made up from a part from every year over twenty years.:roll:
Sunroof53
15 years ago

Any chance of a slightly higher resolution scan? Im sure we could tell more if we could zoom in on things like striker plates and the under bonnet area! :wink:

It just pixelates whenever I zoom in!

54 Gertie wrote:

I tried 1200dpi but could not upload to photobucket as the file is bigger than 100mb.I could email it to you but dont have your address on the profile you cant attach files via the profile email tab.
54 Gertie
15 years ago

I tried 1200dpi but could not upload to photobucket as the file is bigger than 100mb.I could email it to you but dont have your address on the profile.

Sunroof53 wrote:

PM'ed! :d

William
tman
  • tman
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

I tried 1200dpi but could not upload to photobucket as the file is bigger than 100mb.I could email it to you but dont have your address on the profile you cant attach files via the profile email tab.

Sunroof53 wrote:

100mb?! Most email systems won't entertain files that big. Make sure you are saving it in a compressible format like jpg or gif.

Andrew
195x Deluxe oval Beetle
Binz Doublecab
Sunroof53
15 years ago

100mb?! Most email systems won't entertain files that big. Make sure you are saving it in a compressible format like jpg or gif.

tman wrote:

Thanks ,they were bmp files .In the mean time i cropped the picture of the shell ,cleaned the fluff off my scanner to.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=340552  they found in lithuania has more original parts than this.
I just hope whoever bought it realised what he was buying and bought it for its novelty value rather than thinking he had a genuine piece of history. The story of this car to me has more value than the car itself .I mean you could never sit in the car and think wow, this is the car that did all those miles and was featured in all those magazines .Its a bit like all the Herbies you see at the shows .I never used to take much notice of them until i saw a real one at Stanford hall last year.Sitting in a replica of anything is just not the same .

i've scanned some more but are taking an age to upload:!: Cant get that attach tab to work as it comes up with page cannot be displayed.

UserPostedImage
Sunroof53
15 years ago

Deathtrap?

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage