Kab54
  • Kab54
  • Newbie Topic Starter
15 years ago
Can anyone recommend someone in the UK to recondition my 1954 Cabriolet Semaphores or does anyone know whether you can buy replacement solenoid coils?

Thanks.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
mrsherbie
15 years ago
You can buy complete brand new semaphores now cant you? so I guess there must be new parts available?
I have not seen the new ones yet though so I have no idea what they are like.
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago
I´ve seen what were obviously repro Cabrio semaphores for sale in Germany. Unfortunately, the guy selling them wanted everyone to believe that they were NOS and therefore worth the thousand euro asking price, when I could see no reason for them to cost more than repro saloon semaphores.

Sorry. going OT a bit.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Volumex
15 years ago
Along the same line, does anyone sell the arms for SHO semaphores? Mine look like someone did a pull shot on them while they were extended. The SHO lenses are easy enough to locate (just add money!) but I haven't found anywhere that sells the arms.
56 + 58 Bug
Kab54
  • Kab54
  • Newbie Topic Starter
15 years ago

You can buy complete brand new semaphores now cant you? so I guess there must be new parts available?
I have not seen the new ones yet though so I have no idea what they are like.

mrsherbie wrote:

You can get the repro semaphores for the saloons but as far as I know you can't get repro Cabrio ones. Cabrio semaphores are slimmer, have a thinner lens and are about 10mm longer. Not hugely different apart from the price!!

If they reproduce the saloon ones the parts must be available from somewhere so that is my quest! I am assuming the coils on the SWF semaphores was the same whether for the saloon or cabrio so I need to try and find the company that is reproducing the coils.

David.

54 Gertie
15 years ago
In my opinion I would not use repro ones as they do not work nearly as well as nos ones or good used ones!

We are using them on our 55 and I have resorted to shoving small bits of paper in behind the electro magnet to get that and the shaft in line, also we have resorted to bending the catch that allows them to come up when the solenoid come one because it was not allowing it to latch down!

Try here for replacement ones and I think he will also refurbish your ones if you post them to him, I have heard only good things about his work!

https://www.mattsparts.com/ 
William
55Kab
15 years ago
Matt rebuilt the semaphores on the 55 for Mike before I bought the Cab off him and they work lovely with a nice old 'clunck' up and down! So can recommend his work. I understand Matt is known as Mr Semaphore.
Etzhold1
15 years ago
Alejandro in Brussels can do the job aswel , He is better knowing as mr Judson !
Or you can buy a perfect set from me ! :wink:

Guido
55Kab
15 years ago
Guido
Out of interest, how much does a set of Oval Cabrio semaphores go for these days?

You never know, I may want a 'spare' set!:wink:
Etzhold1