54 Gertie
15 years ago
Hi

I may be needing to replace the rear bumper mounts on my 63 UK (european spec!) beetle!

I believe it has had the later type fitted (see pic) and as these have rusted though I feel that I may as well do it properly!

So, does anyone have a picture of correct bumper mounts for a 63 beetle or can anyone suggest a place to get decent repair panels that are correct (ps ive tried Wolf but he only sells the type that are from 52 to 60, however im yet to be convinced that these aren't correct for mine! :wink: )

Cheers!

UserPostedImage
William
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
vintagevw
15 years ago
This is the wrong type I guess.
It should be looking similar to oval ones but with a bit diffrence.
I have bought mine in UK, I think Hookies pannel shop...
Wat is het fijn om lesbisch te zijn!
mrsherbie
15 years ago
I think wrong too. But I have never owned a uk 50's or 60's vw to know. My 63 was unusual as it had oval qtrs, I think being an Oz pressed car.
I can check over the weekend, but hopefully someone else will post who has one first.

Given the choice, definitely dont use that crappy black cheap panel! I just saw a funny pic of a guys 'oval' (pretending to be a split) 'just restored' with those fitted OOPS!

Use Hooky's or Wolfs, and they are both good honest knowledgeable guys, so if you ask them they will both tell you honestly the years. (I am guessing yours have been replaced before so it is hard to know?)
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
54 Gertie
15 years ago
Thanks!

As i say Wolf only seem to sell the oval and late 50s type and Hookys seem to sell the same thing!

I agree that the ones on the car at the moment are not original but no one seems to sell correct ones for my 63, that is decent panels not the black painted type!

Does anyone know if the ones from the 50s will be correct for mine or where I can get some!

I have included a picture of the Hookys panel but he doesn't say what year its for!:?:

UserPostedImage
William
Chris
15 years ago
I too would recommend Hooky's panels. I spoke to him at stanford Hall a couple of years ago about some panels he had for the engine bay. I could not tell the difference between oval ones and later ones :roll: He pointed out that the later ones had a different curvature on the lip. Even after he'd told me I could bearly see the difference. :oops:
Steve is one of the most honest people I know within the VW community and will not miss-sell you anything. Give him a ring and speak to him. I'll pm you his mobile number later when I have my phone with me. Alternatively, ring his workshop or get hold on him through One-on-One Restorations.
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day.
54 Gertie
15 years ago

I too would recommend Hooky's panels. I spoke to him at stanford Hall a couple of years ago about some panels he had for the engine bay. I could not tell the difference between oval ones and later ones :roll: He pointed out that the later ones had a different curvature on the lip. Even after he'd told me I could bearly see the difference. :oops:
Steve is one of the most honest people I know within the VW community and will not miss-sell you anything. Give him a ring and speak to him. I'll pm you his mobile number later when I have my phone with me. Alternatively, ring his workshop or get hold on him through One-on-One Restorations.

Chris wrote:

Cheers Chris!

I've fired off an email to Steve but I will try to give him a call tomorrow if he doesn't manage to get back to me! If you wouldn't mind PM'ing me his number I would be really grateful!

Although im sure that the oval type would fit I would really like to get it as correct as possible, what I would obviously love would be to find some og ones cut from a car but this is going to be next to impossible as all bugs have gone here!

William