Bally
  • Bally
  • Regular Topic Starter
15 years ago
Hello all,

I am having issues with the passenger door on my late 55 Kabriolet. It opens fine from the outside but not at all from the inside. The bar that connects the inner handle to the door lock seems to be working fine and exactly the same as the one on the drivers door so I assume the fault is with the lock itself. Is this a common problem and easily fixed? I have a spare lock I could fit if necessary, so that may be the best route to go down. Can I get door lock out without removing the window guide? (I haven't got a manuel yet but am reliably informed I will have one on December 25th). How do I remove the lock?

Any guidance or suggestions gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Dave
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Rich Oakley
15 years ago
Dave,

It is most likely the locking mechanism that is worn out. Have you tried adjusting the striker plate on the B-pillar? If that doesn't solve it, I'll help you sort it out when I pop down there after Xmas.

Rich.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Bally
  • Bally
  • Regular Topic Starter
15 years ago

Dave,

It is most likely the locking mechanism that is worn out. Have you tried adjusting the striker plate on the B-pillar? If that doesn't solve it, I'll help you sort it out when I pop down there after Xmas.

Rich.

Rich Oakley wrote:

Thanks Rich,

I haven't tried anything yet but will have to sort it before the MOT re-test this Friday -I'll have a look tomorrow night at adjusting the strike plate. It does work fine from the outside though so would that be the strike plate that needs adjusting?

Cheers,

Dave
Rich Oakley
15 years ago

Thanks Rich,

I haven't tried anything yet but will have to sort it before the MOT re-test this Friday -I'll have a look tomorrow night at adjusting the strike plate. It does work fine from the outside though so would that be the strike plate that needs adjusting?

Cheers,

Dave

Bally wrote:

What you'll probably find is that when you attempt to open the door using the internal handle, the little 'wedge' in the door lock mechanism doesn't retract fully upwards and hence won't release from the striker plate. Moving the striker plate down a few mm might solve this. Worth a try!!

Rich.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.