54 Gertie
15 years ago
Hello there

After having a look through Gertie's (our 55s) history, it seems that a previous owner in the early 70s wrote a letter to Safer Motoring about his beetle (Gertie)and this was then published in the August 1974 issue!

I was wondering if anyone had a copy of this that they were willing to scan for me or sell me as i would be most interested in reading it!

She was called Gertie then so that may be in the title, othe than that I have no idea how you would recognise the article in the magazine but she is a 55 Uk oval, apart from that I dont know what it would say!:(

Thank you!
William
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
54 Gertie
15 years ago
According to the samba, but dont hold me to it, it looked like this!

UserPostedImage

15p, wow!
William
six-o-one
15 years ago
Hi,
Just been having a read and can't see any mention of your oval in that issue!

Do you have the name of the previous owner?

Malc
54 Gertie
15 years ago

Hi,
Just been having a read and can't see any mention of your oval in that issue!

Do you have the name of the previous owner?

Malc

six-o-one wrote:

Yes, he was Mr A. H Perham (his real name was Albert but on the letter he wrote he just put that.

I also have a feeling that he had his address printed as he got a postcard sent to hime a few weeks later by someone who read the letter in Safer Motoring!
William
54 Gertie
15 years ago
I suppose he may have got the month wrong as all we have is a photocopy of part of an old safer motoring and he writes on it, in pen, that he couldnt get hold of the August 74 issue!

It may have been however that it was printed some other time as the postcard isnt dated!

I am scanning in a copy of his letter as I type, will post in a few minutes!
William
six-o-one
15 years ago
I've had another look but can't find anything!
It may be in another issue?

The next issue I have is December!

:roll:
54 Gertie
15 years ago
54 Gertie
15 years ago
Those letters are dated 26/5/74

I suppose they could have been published, within reason anytime from then!

He got a letter back saying that the could not print the photos he sent in as they did not have the means and that they had kept his letter for use in a future issue.

One thing I know for sure, it was definately published at some point because he gets a postcard (bottom of scan 2) from someone who had read his letter and says about her 66 bug "I wouldnt part with her for the best Rolls going!"
William
six-o-one
15 years ago
I've only got a few issues from 74. I've had a look through June, Aug, Nov and Dec and cant see it in them.

Guessing it's in September, October or 1975!

Malc

PS there's a Hebmüller in the small ads in the Nov '74 issue - "Offers between £800 and £850"

Shame I was only ten! :wink:
tman
  • tman
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago
I might be able to get my hands on a copy of October 1974, hopefully it's in that issue!
Andrew
195x Deluxe oval Beetle
Binz Doublecab
RoRoVw
15 years ago
Hi,
I've located the letter in the July 1974 issue of Safer Motoring. If you let me have your address then you're very welcome to this copy and I'll post it to you.
Cheers,
Rob.
six-o-one
15 years ago

Hi,
I've located the letter in the July 1974 issue of Safer Motoring. If you let me have your address then you're very welcome to this copy and I'll post it to you.
Cheers,
Rob.

RoRoVw wrote:

Well done! :d :beer: :d
54 Gertie
15 years ago

Hi,
Cheers,
Rob.

RoRoVw wrote:

Wow!

Thank you so much!, yet another piece to her history!

I've sent you a pm!
William
RoRoVw
15 years ago
July 1974 issue of Safer Motoring now entrusted to the Christmas post and should be with you very soon. A Christmas gift for Gertie herself. Enjoy!
Cheers Rob.
54 Gertie
15 years ago

July 1974 issue of Safer Motoring now entrusted to the Christmas post and should be with you very soon. A Christmas gift for Gertie herself. Enjoy!
Cheers Rob.

RoRoVw wrote:

Thank you so much!

I cant wait to read it and it all ads to her history!

(cant wait until it arrives! :d )

If you ever see us at a show, we owe you a drink or two! :beer: :beer: :beer:
William
tman
  • tman
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

PS there's a Hebmüller in the small ads in the Nov '74 issue - "Offers between £800 and £850"

six-o-one wrote:

I looked this up purely out of curiosity (link ):

Current data is only available till 2007. In 2007, £800.00 from 1974 is worth
£6,004.32 using the retail price index.
£9,624.53 using average earnings.
Andrew
195x Deluxe oval Beetle
Binz Doublecab
Rich Oakley
15 years ago

Shame I was only ten! :wink:

six-o-one wrote:

What's the phone number Malc?
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
six-o-one
15 years ago

What's the phone number Malc?

Rich Oakley wrote:

You're too late Rich, that one's long gone!
54 Gertie
15 years ago
ITS ARRIVED!

Thank you so much for sending us the magazine, are you sure you dont want anything for it?

It was great to see the letter in there, even though it is the same as the letter that I scanned in! :wink:

It was also interesting to look through the classifieds.....

There are ovals, split beetles and all sorts or rarities for sale in it for next no money!
William
54 Gertie
15 years ago
Theres a tow bar in there thats more expensive!
William