SplitPersonality
15 years ago
I see BBT is selling "early vert semaphore boxes" for Karmanns - and - Hebmullers. I was of the belief Hebmullers always came "flush mounted" without the protruding box as on Karmanns. Can some experts comment - what is period correct on the Hebmuller?

Is this 100% correct for an original Hebmuller:
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
pre67vw
15 years ago
That is correct, Heb semaphores are flush - not the boxes that sit on top of the bodywork like the Karmann's  Bild 233.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Bjoern
15 years ago
Yeah - this is correct. Semaphore-boxes for split Karmann and Hebs are different. The Karmann has a closed box which is pressen from outside to inside the sidepanel - Hebmüller used a sinply construction fixed inside.
SplitPersonality
15 years ago

That is correct, Heb semaphores are flush - not the boxes that sit on top of the bodywork like the Karmann's

pre67vw wrote:

Thanks - nice boxes! Where can I buy a set of those?
pre67vw
15 years ago

Thanks - nice boxes! Where can I buy a set of those?

SplitPersonality wrote:

S.Haun 🇦🇹 t-online.de

:d
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Bjoern
15 years ago
The boxes looks nice - but complete different to the original boxes in my heb. Maybe the design change during the productionline...
pre67vw
15 years ago

The boxes looks nice - but complete different to the original boxes in my heb. Maybe the design change during the productionline...

Bjoern wrote:

How are they different? Is there any way to photo them?

Does anyone have the exact dimensions and position of the slot?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
usariemen
15 years ago
There where two styles in the Hebs.
The first ones during 1949 had a quite simple hole in the quarter panel and from the rear
the semas where held by the same costruction that you find in the sedans to hold them.
This way was a "open door" for water to get into the car. So they changed in 1950 to the style with
the closed box from the rear as pictured above. That was welded all around and no more water was able to get in.
All in common had the Hebs the smooth outside with no box visible as it is at the Karmann ones.
I can post pics tonight if requested.

Master of my domaine.
zelensis61
15 years ago
I could not explained it better..
Thanks for back up Carsten.
You know your stuff.8)

It is correct that the first cars are made with as much parts from splits as they could.
Due to water problems in the doorpost they changed the box from open style to closed style.
The location is been the same, from the first to the last car.
The exact locations have to be taken from a non restored one.
Maybe 601 can help us...:d
Greets

ZELENSIS, coachbuilt body from the 50's on a vw platform made in Belgium. Peter the heb detective
usariemen
15 years ago
Here are pics.
This is the early "open" style.
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

And here is the later closed box style.
UserPostedImage
Master of my domaine.
Bjoern
15 years ago
Thanks for the pics,

the flashlight of your camera shows me, that I have to do something against the rost in the inner Sidepanels of my meb ;-)

The semaphore-threat is a good example, my an official registry-list of the Hebs is nessesary. Thgere are different details which changes during the time. Semaphoreboxes, enginelids, loofed-section exist in different styles and it whould be very helpful for restaurations in future if it is easy to find out, which version you need if you have to reconstruct lost details.

UserPostedImage
SplitPersonality
15 years ago
Thanks a million Carsten! Very very informative and good detail information. I agree with Bjorn - let us put all heads and cars together to get a better reference of what is right and what is not.
Sambaguy
15 years ago
I have the same type of open boxes on my Heb 134. What is the body nr of yours Bjoern?
Interesting pics. It looks like the semaphores are the ones with metall surrounding the glas, the same as on early Karmann verts. Did Hebmuller ever used the Recht Links semaphores any time?

Thomas
Bjoern
15 years ago
My one has the bodynumber 534 and was build at 1st of Febuary 1950. The attached black-red one which was restaured at Lennys Shop was build close to your car has the bodynumer 14-00136...

UserPostedImage
austria
15 years ago

My Heb is nr 225 (17.Nov.1949)and has the open boxes!:lol:

pre67vw
15 years ago

The attached black-red one which was restaured at Lennys Shop was build close to your car has the bodynumer 14-00136...

UserPostedImage

Bjoern wrote:

I realise it's a bit off-topic, but why does that convertible top look so wrong? :? Looks more like a model T top than a Heb?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
GKL 7
15 years ago

Did Hebmuller ever used the Recht Links semaphores any time?

Sambaguy wrote:

No. 601 has handed(L&R)semaphores.
Don't know if they are original.
six-o-one
15 years ago

No. 601 has handed(L&R)semaphores.
Don't know if they are original.

'50 Karmann wrote:

601 has other '49 bits too like metal rings on the rear lights!

Etzhold1
15 years ago

I realise it's a bit off-topic, but why does that convertible top look so wrong? :? Looks more like a model T top than a Heb?

pre67vw wrote:

Off- Topic, yes , but yes that top realy looks wrong to me aswell !
Bjoern
15 years ago

pre67vw wrote:

The wooden rag in the rear is maybe a little bit oversized so it looks a little bit like a Papler. But thi is good for the rear passangers larger than 1,50 Meter and an age over 12 years

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage