Caspo
2008-12-16T23:06:13Z
But I dont know what it is......?
54 Gertie
2008-12-16T23:11:02Z
Well....

..If I were you I would advertise it as probably a later shell with a split dash grafted in and other split era bits, and the chassis as being later! (even though the chassis number suggests Feb 53, I doubt it as it has probably been let in to look older!)

Basically, say it is far from original or perfect but if you want a cool looking bug then this could be for you!
William
Judson53
2008-12-16T23:15:22Z
Caspo wrote:

But I dont know what it is......?



well its not realy anything specific any more,just a jumbled mess of bits!its still a beetle and sell it as that,
what year you would regiseter it as i dont know

you say you have the og log book?what does that say?
Caspo
2008-12-16T23:20:08Z
The log book is in Indonesian and the date of registration is 1952. This is why I am really confused. Ill check on you guys tommorow......Im shattered...Bed time....
64rotbox
2008-12-16T23:27:43Z
There was probably a '52 involved in the creation of the car, which no doubt donated its chassis number stamp (grafted into a much later chassis, easily done) as well as its roof section and some other bits. But that doesn't make it a '52. Q plater?
You can call me Al.
2008-12-17T01:01:13Z
Caspo wrote:

how do you recommend I sell this bug?


Just advertise it as an interesting collection of Volkswagen parts all welded together.
It... was... welded... right?! :shock:

TBH though, just point your new auction to all these "need to get a life and get out more" geek discussions and hopefully your buyers will have all the information they need.
Ovalbug
2008-12-17T02:05:37Z
I'm a VW nerd and proud of it :lol: .
At least that way I've had the experience/knowledge to acquire some quite nice VW's in my time.
If that makes me a sad geek, then so be it.:p
At least that way I won't ever buy a Frankenstein of a motorcar because I was too dumb / lazy / apathetic to properly research what I was buying before-hand........
I really hope the car doesn't get broken , it still passes for a Split after all; but no-one likes people being taken for a ride (sorry no pun intended :lol: ) and that is why this auction has attracted so much publicity........

:wink:
'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
'72 1302LS Karmann Cabrio RHD
mrsherbie
2008-12-17T10:17:18Z
54 Gertie wrote:



Hello, the reason that we took an interest was because none of us want to see people buying something that is no quite what it sounds like (accidentally or not !)

there is no reason it shouldnt be able to stay the way it is (its cool, just not when you think your getting a genuine split!)



Hi, Dean, I started 2 of these threads and I agree with all Gertie's last few posts above who has summed it up perfectly.

We are not trying to stop you selling the car at all, but in the face of the fact that you have 2 other pre67 vw's, I am afraid your apparent lack of the most basic vw knowledge of what you have on your drive just does'nt wash with me.
Everyone who imports 2 or more old vw's from a distant country has some knowledge already and does at least some research before buying & importing them. Especially a split beetle. You must have done at least some mechanical work on this car to even get it to pass its first UK MOT, or else the MOT would have to be dodgy.

You need to establish for certain its identity, because when the DVLA ask to inspect it for registration ( which I am guessing you may have already tried and failed) and they WILL call it in for inspection given where it has been imported from! worst case scenario, it even could end up with a Q plate after an SVA and I would'nt wish that on the new owner! and the car could be taken and crushed if used on the road illegally. They dont have these harsh rules in the USA or other countries, but here in the UK nowadays we do!!
If you try to sell it on like this, the new owner could well come back after you and as you can see, there are many people who devote a lot of time to our hobby, who will be happy to get involved and help them hang you out to dry for deliberately misleading them, and I would say that is added hassle you could live without.

The car is still a pretty looking car and someone WILL be very happy to own it. I would not want to see it sold as parts!

Anna.

"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
54 Gertie
2008-12-17T16:45:37Z
54 Gertie
2008-12-17T18:57:34Z
Found this on the "Vehicles wanted" section on VZi! :wink:

UserPostedImage
William
Caspo
2008-12-17T22:32:38Z
I do not understand your problem with the sale of the car as parts.....You lot have educated me and I am grateful. BUT STOP BUSTING MY FREAKING BALLS......................................

Once again...thank you...........
Judson53
2008-12-17T22:59:23Z
if you say were NERDS, and we need to get a life what sort of response do you expect![-x
topolino
2008-12-18T07:32:38Z
i bet caspo is not a very friendly ghost at the moment, looks like this sale is going to prove very costly to him.
IN2VWS
2008-12-18T08:48:39Z
Caspo wrote:

I do not understand your problem with the sale of the car as parts.....You lot have educated me and I am grateful. BUT STOP BUSTING MY FREAKING BALLS......................................

Once again...thank you...........



You own several pre '67 VWs. Did you really need educating that something was wrong with your car?
mrsherbie
2008-12-18T10:46:19Z
54 Gertie wrote:

Found this on the "Vehicles wanted" section on VZi! :wink:

UserPostedImage



Thats funny :lol: :lol:

Ironically I have no doubt the car will sell for a tidy sum now anyway given the exposure its had!
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
54 Gertie
2008-12-18T16:37:18Z
mrsherbie wrote:



Thats funny :lol: :lol:

Ironically I have no doubt the car will sell for a tidy sum now anyway given the exposure its had!



It probably one of the best known VWs on the scene, its been everywhere!

Happy 1000th Post!
William
2008-12-18T20:10:50Z
Q: Hi Austin, Apologies for adding to your burden of questions but have your panel of experts in the various forums decided what year this car was built. An answer of pre 1973 would be good enough as I was wondering if it qualifies for road tax exemption. Nice looking car by the way. Cheers, Mike 18-Dec-08
A: Yes......it is definalty road tax free.. Thanks

Hello Austin... if that is your real name???

I would say you are back to porkie pies again with this comment? I would say you would only ever be likely to get a Q plate for this and as far as I am aware a Q plate is most definitely not going to qualify for free road tax! If I am wrong please correct me! :roll:
54 Gertie
2008-12-19T13:25:01Z
I aggree, I have not had any experience of importing cars, but with the chassis being later and with an earlier number you are going to have to get that cat put on a "Q" plate.

It's not because its on it unoriginal chassis (it would take the age of the chassis we have a 56 shell on a 67 pan and this is on an "F" plate) it is because it has lost its original chassis number (under the rear seat!)

Also we are not
Quote:

busting your balls

we are trying to help you and any potential new owner!
William
54 Gertie
2008-12-19T13:32:28Z
From the DVLA website, it may be worth putting a link to THIS  on your Ebay listing!

Quote:

If a car fails a VIC because its identity cannot be confirmed, it won't be entitled to retain its original registration mark. It may, be possible to register the car with DVLA if evidence of British National Type Approval in the form of a Minister's Approval Certificate can be produced. This may be obtained by applying to VOSA for a Single Vehicle Approval Inspection (please note that the 'Enhanced' category may apply). However before doing so, you'll need to obtain an alternative vehicle identification number (VIN) from the DVLA Local Office.

Following a successful SVA inspection and DVLA local office assessment, a 'Q' registration mark will be allocated.


William
Caspo
2008-12-20T13:03:24Z
Can anyone tell me what this means on my VIN PLATE which is in the front bonnet under the shelf behind the spare tyre. I know there are two plates there but its the bottom one.

type : 11/F1

Thanks