Standard split
2008-12-16T19:45:33Z
The storm caused by the obviously faked '52 split is intriguing:!:

I have seen others advertised over recent months which I have been very sure are duds, and not for small sums of money either :shock:

Has anybody noticed just how many oval-dashed (zwitter) splits come up for sale? Considering a short production run from October '52 to March '53:?:

These zwitters are nearly always deluxes with new headling and a full respray. Now we know for example, that an April '53 Oval is very much the same as a November '52 split.

It seems that early ovals are becoming less, as well as many discovered split wrecks in woods losing their rear window:!:

I have no more to say other than I would not buy a zwitter. However if a car offered had the original stained headling down to and around the rear window, and preferably very old dull paint, or I knew the car's history very well I would consider it :wink:

A 'proper' pre October '52 split is a better bet, and judging by the mess of the red and white "52 split" in the previous thread, much more involved to fake from an oval :p

Study the end curves of the rear window on the car below…
Standard split attached the following image(s):

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
The great Rattletrap debate: http://forums.pre67vw.co...aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
Sponsor

(Register and log-in to hide thread adverts)
IN2VWS
2008-12-17T02:29:02Z
Agree, the rear windows do not look correct. They should also have the aluminium trim in the rear window rubbers.
Standard split
2008-12-17T10:59:12Z
No it wasn't that, although the trim should be there on a deluxe zwitter, being missing does not make it a dud. Look at the end curves again and how close they are to the louvres:!:

It's an oval with the centre pillar put in. On a split window the end curves move further away from the louvres, but on an oval the curve follows the louvres.

This was for sale as a zwitter and not cheap. Usually the complete window from a wrecked donor split is welded in, so this is unusual :wink:
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
six-o-one
2008-12-17T11:27:14Z
Adrian's (beetlemania on here) '55 sunroof standard confuses a lot of people. The window was put in by a previous owner before it came in to the UK.
There's a note in the window explaining that it's really an oval!
:lol:

six-o-one attached the following image(s):

Standard split
2008-12-17T20:09:04Z
Such a rare car it was anyway before the alteration:!:

Really nice too. Just shows you how careful you need to be about buying a zwiitter::wink:
vintagevw
2008-12-17T22:11:21Z

Really nice too. Just shows you how careful you need to be about buying a zwiitter::wink:

That's the reason that I bought a witter vert!:wink: :lol:
Wat is het fijn om lesbisch te zijn!
mrsherbie
2009-01-03T13:06:51Z
A zwitter vert! There cannot be many of those around at all?! :beer:

I am faced with the option to sell my 50 to get an amazing zwitter that I really want badly at the moment but I cant even consider selling my 50 :cry: And him indoors says No more pet beetles for me unless I sell one first. That is almost a divorce worthy crime in my book! except we are not married so I cant even try to pull this one yet! I need more ideas :? :d
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
GKL 7
2009-01-03T14:58:40Z
mrsherbie wrote:

I am faced with the option to sell my 50 to get an amazing zwitter that I really want badly at the moment but I cant even consider selling my 50

So tell me where the Zwitter is and i will go and buy it.
I'll give you ago in it later and we'll all be OK:wink: