55Kab
  • 55Kab
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
15 years ago
Advise sought chaps and chappesses.

The 55 is in the process of having new bonnet and deck lid sealing strip clamping sections fitted, but I have come across a problem.

The problem is that the curved clamping profile is smaller than the OG VW one. First strip is tacked onto the car but due to the smaller size, it actually looks a little odd.

So, question is, has anyone else noticed this and if so, how did you overcome it?

Difficult to tell in this photo but the OG still attached to the old front valance with the new strip alongside.

UserPostedImage

The strips acquired have come from Heritage and are the same as BBT sell I think.

Any help much appreciated as I'm stuck at the moment. Talked to Jules at KK but apart from OG VW items which disappeared 3-4 years ago, he didn't know of anyone else that makes them. Just can't understand why if someone goes to the trouble of repopping something why they can't make it exactly like the original!:evil:
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
vintagevw
15 years ago
I've worked with those from BBT and the rubber fits well in the sealingstrip.
You just have to bend over the ends a bit so the rubber never comes out anymore.
Use some Vaseline to put the rubber into.
I didn'd weld them on the side front pannels but worked with glue from 3M so it wont get hot anymore and it won't rust anymore underneath.
But before you glue it you have to bend it in the correct shape....
Wat is het fijn om lesbisch te zijn!
harveypj
15 years ago
when i replaced my rubber seals I had to tease open the strip a little to get the new rubbers in, the vw service manual also says this is necessary. Originaly a small dolly is used to close the strip to grip the rubber, this does close the strip a little rolling it over and appears wider.
I recon if you were also to do this once the rubbers are in, they'd take on a more original appearance.

Stock......the new custom
54 Gertie
15 years ago

I didn'd weld them on the side front pannels but worked with glue from 3M so it wont get hot anymore and it won't rust anymore underneath.
But before you glue it you have to bend it in the correct shape....

vintagevw wrote:

Never thought to do that, im about to replace it on my 63 and this has really helped! :beer: :d

May I ask, what sort of glue did you use?

Cheers!

Will
William
wolf
15 years ago
I am working with a tool to make those sealingstrip in the right profile, I need them for my aprons :d

55Kab
Can you post a picture of the profile of yours ?
www.wolfparts.com
vintagevw
15 years ago

Never thought to do that, im about to replace it on my 63 and this has really helped! :beer: :d

May I ask, what sort of glue did you use?

Cheers!

Will

54 Gertie wrote:

This is it!  Afbeelding 188.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  Afbeelding 189.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  Afbeelding 190.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Wat is het fijn om lesbisch te zijn!
54 Gertie
15 years ago
Brilliant thanks! :beer:

William
55Kab
  • 55Kab
15 years ago

when i replaced my rubber seals I had to tease open the strip a little to get the new rubbers in, the vw service manual also says this is necessary. Originaly a small dolly is used to close the strip to grip the rubber, this does close the strip a little rolling it over and appears wider.
I recon if you were also to do this once the rubbers are in, they'd take on a more original appearance.

harveypj wrote:

Possibly, but the profile is smaller than the original.
55Kab
  • 55Kab
15 years ago

Can you post a picture of the profile of yours ?

wolf wrote:

I'll get a pic Wolf so you can see the difference between the OG and repop end on.
55Kab
  • 55Kab
15 years ago
Here you go Wolf.

UserPostedImage

Not a huge difference granted but the repop on the L/H side of the pic above just does not look right on the car. As you can see, the curved part is not as curved as the OG which gives the appreance of it being smaller.

Photo below may provide a better idea of how it looks compared to the OG

UserPostedImage

The car's off for dipping and e-coating in a few weeks so this has got to be sorted before then. Thoughts?
54 Gertie
15 years ago

Here you go Wolf.

The car's off for dipping and e-coating in a few weeks so this has got to be sorted before then. Thoughts?

55Kab wrote:

How will that effect the original Karman lead loading, suppose it would be okay as it is metal!:oops:

BTW where did you get your repro strip from as I need some but I think I may wait for wolf to start!:d
William
55Kab
  • 55Kab
15 years ago

How will that effect the original Karman lead loading, suppose it would be okay as it is metal!:oops:

54 Gertie wrote:

No effect, it's not organic which is what's eaten.:wink:

BTW where did you get your repro strip from as I need some but I think I may wait for wolf to start!:d

54 Gertie wrote:

Heritage.