Judson53
15 years ago
My 1953 standard oval came with m-code 001, according to thesambe.com this includes....

Chrome bumpers, hub caps, tail pipes, front flashing
indicators, hood and door handles; additionally with
moldings and passenger sun visor
up to Chassis No. 117 999 000

can someone tell me what the "mouldings" are classed as please?
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Rich Oakley
15 years ago
The description you have for M001 is for 55 and later cars. The earlier description for M001 that applied to your car would have been without the flashing indicators. M001 was an 'upgrade' option for Standard models (as far as I'm aware). The moulding would be the chrome trim on the bonnet, doors and side panels.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
VW Stan
15 years ago
My '58 Uk Std lists:

M 001
Chrome-plated bumpers, hub caps, outlet pipes, front indicator lights, tank cap and door handles;
in addition with trim strips and passenger sun visor

M 018
Larger reflector in brake/indicator light

M 020 Mph speedometer

M 008, 042, 063 and 108 cannot be identified

It has never had any chrome side trim so I expect 'trim strips' is something else - could be the white coach line painted on some standards?
It also hasn't got a passenger sun visor and the drivers visor is an after-market one.
The Color is listed as L243 Diamond Gray but it's actually Jupiter Grey!

So don't believe everything on a birth certificate especially for a standard!
:d

It's hard to say what my girlfriend does for a living...

...She sells sea shells on the sea shore!
Judson53
15 years ago
Have you got any pics of your car would be intresting to see what chrome ive got that u havent :roll:
VW Stan
15 years ago
Mine looks the same as the 60 UK Std pictured in this thread...

https://forums.pre67vw.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=16359 

RoRoVw
15 years ago

Mine looks the same as the 60 UK Std pictured in this thread...

https://forums.pre67vw.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=16359 

VW Stan wrote:

Hi,
The 1960 pictured at the NEC is mine (formerly owned by Richard Copping of VW Motoring and many other publications fame). This car has black tail pipes, rather than chrome. Is yours the same? I believe black is correct but once again according to your 1958's 'Birth Certificate' they should be chrome.
As you say, mine is like yours, never had any side or bonnet trim or trim on the running boards but has the white coach line down either side. This has been repainted but it did have the lines originally.
It has only a driver's side green perspex sun visor.
Rob.
15 years ago
Evening Ladies/Gents,

Just recieved my cars identity details from the VW museum, i was surprised to see that it was ordered with indicators, what indicators would these be? Also M018 Large reflector in brake/indicator light.

My std also has never had chrome trim on its panels(all be it the bonnet is not correct for the car, currently trying to source a new one) I have no visors at all, presume the white stripes have been painted over, still got my cable brakes and no synchro tho!

Are people aware of what M008, M063 & M108 are? Thank you for any help that follows, find bellow pictures of my 55 British RHD std that i have given its first clean having braved the winter in it.

Cheers

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
VW Stan
15 years ago

Evening Ladies/Gents,
Are people aware of what M008, M063 & M108 are? Thank you for any help that follows, find bellow pictures of my 55 British RHD std that i have given its first clean having braved the winter in it.

Cheers

blendfunctionwithform wrote:

Hi,
You can see from my post above that my '58 standard has the same unknown M code options as your '55.

I wonder, Are these are specific to RHD, Standards, UK spec, or what?

Anyone got a deluxe, or LHD Standard with these codes?

This might help to work out what they might be!

04_1_b.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.

55Kab
15 years ago

my 55 British RHD std

blendfunctionwithform wrote:

H'mmmmmmmmmm, 55 UK std, very nice car sir and of course very rare.
Rich Oakley
15 years ago
I'm pretty sure now that 'trim strips' mean painted lines, rather than chrome trim. My mistake.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
harveypj
15 years ago

I wonder, Are these are specific to RHD, Standards, UK spec, or what?

Anyone got a deluxe, or LHD Standard with these codes?

This might help to work out what they might be!

VW Stan wrote:

My RHD 58 Deluxe has M008 and M108, also 'cannot be identified'

My car has a locking decklid handle, I have been told this may not have been a standard spec and was an optional extra. None of my other M codes relate to this....could it be 008 or 108, anyone else got a lockable 'T' handle?

Stock......the new custom
VW Stan
15 years ago

My RHD 58 Deluxe has M008 and M108, also 'cannot be identified'

My car has a locking decklid handle, I have been told this may not have been a standard spec and was an optional extra. None of my other M codes relate to this....could it be 008 or 108, anyone else got a lockable 'T' handle?

harveypj wrote:

Nope, mine is non-locking!
:?

harveypj
15 years ago
it puzzles me that with the amount of cars that VW made, they cannot identify all M codes, they were kind of key to every car they made, ensuring it met with the customers spec and local road laws.:?

Stock......the new custom
VW Stan
15 years ago
As M 001 is the code for the external chrome package on a UK Export Standard,
Perhaps one of the other unknown M codes is for the UK spec interior, which is again different from the German domestic market standards?
:roll:

RoRoVw
15 years ago
The reason Blendfunctionwithform's '55 standard doesn't have any sunvisors (or the correct interior mirror) is that they were stolen from the car whilst it was displayed at a show - or so I was told by its previous owner! Presumably it would have had a single, green perspex visor and accompanying mirror when supplied by VW.

My 1971 1200 also has M008 - cannot be identified. It doesn't have a locking engine lid either. It also has M061 which cannot be identified.
VW Stan
15 years ago

The reason Blendfunctionwithform's '55 standard doesn't have any sunvisors (or the correct interior mirror) is that they were stolen from the car whilst it was displayed at a show - or so I was told by its previous owner! Presumably it would have had a single, green perspex visor and accompanying mirror when supplied by VW.

My 1971 1200 also has M008 - cannot be identified. It doesn't have a locking engine lid either. It also has M061 which cannot be identified.

RoRoVw wrote:

Do you have a birth cert for your 60 std?
Any M codes on that one?

15 years ago
Thank you foir the nice comments, RoRovw you are correct that is what i was told by the previuos owner although, on my birth certificate it states that the car was ordered with optional extra passenger sunvisor aswell.

Ps I have a locking T bar engine lid handle.
RoRoVw
15 years ago

Do you have a birth cert for your 60 std?
Any M codes on that one?

VW Stan wrote:

No I haven't sent for it's Birth Certificate, I must get on with that! It does have an early version of the certificate from years ago which only states it was built on 8th April 1960 and delivered to the UK on 13th April. No M codes are quoted.
Rich Oakley
15 years ago
M008 and M108 seem to appear on every RHD deluxe as options. I reckon these were internal factory codes for the RHD parts (mirror, RHD visor, floor mats, drop arm, pedal cluster, floor mats etc). These codes are never listed in any M codes literature.
VW Stan
15 years ago

M008 and M108 seem to appear on every RHD deluxe as options. I reckon these were internal factory codes for the RHD parts (mirror, RHD visor, floor mats, drop arm, pedal cluster, floor mats etc). These codes are never listed in any M codes literature.

Rich Oakley wrote:

Could well be but wouldn't you expect there to be different M codes for RHD Standards?
which have different mirrors, floor mats, pedal cluster etc!

:?