55Kab
  • 55Kab
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
15 years ago
Been scanning a few old pics and came across UVT 728 at Detling around 1987. At the time I think Monsuir Cantle from the HVWOC owned it?

Anyway, it subsequently appeared in the Winter 94 issue of Classic VW's when Howard Chadwick owned it.

Had a quick look at DVLA website and it's taxed until June this year. Does Howard still own it? When was it last seen?

Hope you like the pics.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Rich Oakley
15 years ago
Martin,

Thanks again for the amazing pictures. I haven't seen this car for years. Not sure who owns it now.

Rich.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
lifeintheslowlane
15 years ago
Dave Cantle doesn't do forums, (miserable old fart:lol: ) but I emailed him with a link to this thread.

As his official forum mouthpiece I can relay to you: "Howard Chadwick sold the car, probably 10 years ago now. I believe the new owner lived in East Anglia somewhere and is not interested in showing the car or the VW ‘scene’."
Unless of course, you know better.:wink:
John.
Etzhold1
15 years ago
That is a bad car !!!!
There is a goast hanging arround in that conv ! check the rear window :shock: scarry:lol:

Guido :wink:
48REME
15 years ago

That is a bad car !!!!
There is a goast hanging arround in that conv ! check the rear window :shock: scarry:lol:

Guido :wink:

Etzhold1 wrote:

It's Bjorn Ulvaeus from Abba...He's looking at some rusty spots and thinking... 'Mamma Mia'!:lol:
lifeintheslowlane
15 years ago

It's Bjorn Ulvaeus from Abba...He's looking at some rusty spots and thinking... 'Mamma Mia'!:lol:

48REME wrote:

S**T!! That is scary...it's Dave Cantle.:shock:
John.
GKL 7
15 years ago
Just when i had finished the restoration of my car.Steve Gilbert had a phone call and passed the caller on to me.
The caller had found a cabrio in his eldery neighbours garage.The lady in question wanted to sell the car.Her husband had purchased the car some ten years before, stored it away undriven and then passed away.
As he liked his neighbour and didn't want to offend her,he thought it was only fair to pay a good price.Hence the phone call.He did later buy the car.
I photo copied the Volksworld feature and sent it on to him.He rang again and confirmed it was in fact the same car.Result:d

So upto approx two years ago that car was in Sale,Manchester.As far as i know still is......Unless you know different:wink:
55Kab
  • 55Kab
15 years ago

So upto approx two years ago that car was in Sale,Manchester.As far as i know still is......

'50 Karmann wrote:

Tks George, good to hear.

Trying to find out how many 53-57 UK RHD Cabro's exist and I can't count more than 7!!! And this is one of them.
55Kab
  • 55Kab
15 years ago

Dave Cantle doesn't do forums, (miserable old fart:lol: )

lifeintheslowlane wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Can you email him the link to the photos of the dead scrapyard Oval I posted as I'm sure Dave may be able to shed a little more light on it.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

Tks George, good to hear.

Trying to find out how many 53-57 UK RHD Cabro's exist and I can't count more than 7!!! And this is one of them.

55Kab wrote:

https://forums.pre67vw.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=12865 

Someone on VZI has a RHD 55, but I don´t know if its original or not.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
55Kab
  • 55Kab
15 years ago

Someone on VZI has a RHD 55, but I don´t know if its original or not.

JD wrote:

Tks for the link JD.

I think the car you mention and that is in the top of that link is mine!:wink: She's on the cover on this months Volksworld magazine when in the hands of the previous owner.

In terms of existing OG UK dealer supplied RHD Oval Cabrio's I can only count 7:shock: and of those, 2 are in the USA!

As follows:

My 55
Charles Oldroyd's 56
Brian Whithall's 55 (Ritchie King's old car on a later pan)
Roger Pascoe's 54
UVT 728 the car at the top of this thread
ex Joff Taylor 56 (now in the US)
55 year car (now in the US)

So if you know of another, please post its details.

Incidentally there are only 2 other RHD Oval Cabrio's in the UK. The ex Singapore 54 car and madeinireland's 55.

54 Gertie
15 years ago

and of those, 2 are in the USA!

55Kab wrote:

:wink: :roll:
William
GKL 7
15 years ago

I think the car you mention and that is in the top of that link is mine!:wink: She's on the cover on this months Volksworld magazine when in the hands of the previous owner.

55Kab wrote:

Was your car stored in a garage in Southport for decades? remember one being pulled out of there a few years back.(presume it was)
So have you only just aquired it?
55Kab
  • 55Kab
15 years ago

Was your car stored in a garage in Southport for decades? remember one being pulled out of there a few years back.(presume it was)So have you only just aquired it?

'50 Karmann wrote:

Yes George. I purchased it from Mike Attewell last August. It's just coming to the end of it's extensive bodywork restoration and will be off to SPL in a couple weeks time.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

Tks for the link JD.

I think the car you mention and that is in the top of that link is mine!:wink:

55Kab wrote:

I´m not that daft thank you.

Its this...

UserPostedImage

A 55 on a 64 pan. I´m sure I´ve seen pictures of it on here before, but I can´t find them. The wheels are a give away.
UserPostedImage
Mike Peckham
15 years ago
In the early eighties - 83 or 84 - there was a 55 RHD cabriolet in Worthing. It belonged to Mike and Jane Blackwell (anyone remember them or know where they are now?). Mike carried out a restoration on it amd painted it black witih yellow side panels. It looked quite smart, and other than the colour scheme was quite faithfully restored.

The car had been brought over to the mainland from the Channel Islands in the 60s and had a "D" plate I think as it had been registered here in about 1966. It was later sold to a collector in the states and I would imagine it must still survive as it was in very sound condition.

Anyone know if it's still around?

Mike
July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
55Kab
  • 55Kab
15 years ago

I´m not that daft thank you.

Its this...

UserPostedImage

A 55 on a 64 pan. I´m sure I´ve seen pictures of it on here before, but I can´t find them. The wheels are a give away.

JD wrote:

Sorry John, didn't see that pic on the thread and wasn't aware of this car on Vzi. Anyone know its i.d.?
55Kab
  • 55Kab
15 years ago

In the early eighties - 83 or 84 - there was a 55 RHD cabriolet in Worthing. It belonged to Mike and Jane Blackwell (anyone remember them or know where they are now?). Mike carried out a restoration on it amd painted it black witih yellow side panels. It looked quite smart, and other than the colour scheme was quite faithfully restored.

The car had been brought over to the mainland from the Channel Islands in the 60s and had a "D" plate I think as it had been registered here in about 1966. It was later sold to a collector in the states and I would imagine it must still survive as it was in very sound condition.

Anyone know if it's still around?

Mike

Mike Peckham wrote:

Interesting story Mike. There is of course bally's lovely 55 Cabrio not too far from Worthing and that was on a D plate but is LHD not RHD.

Anyone else recall this car or have any photos? Mr O?
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

Sorry John,

55Kab wrote:

Who is this John, Trent.... er... Martin?
I´m James. Not John Doe, inspite of my handle.:d

UserPostedImage
55Kab
  • 55Kab
15 years ago

Who is this John, Trent.... er... Martin?
I´m James. Not John Doe, inspite of my handle.:d

JD wrote:

:oops: Sorry James it's my age!:lol: