69project
15 years ago
having a dilema at the mo

my bug came with the towel rails fitted in pic below but ive been seeking some original bumpers for a while which hopefully i should pick up at dubfreeze
before i bgt car it had original bumpers on but he changed them...:cry:

what looks best???(standard bumpers are an old pic so not sure how nice the set ive sourced will be)

now...
UserPostedImage

before...
UserPostedImage

what should i do???
Car less.....
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago
I had the same thing - repro towel rails. I took them off, along with the full complement of gravel guards and eyebrows. I´m not a fan.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
54 Gertie
15 years ago
Yeah change to euro spec! Towel rails are the devils washing line!:wink:

So that was your car! :wink: I spent a good deal of time looking around it at Lavenham! Lovely!:d :beer:
William
69project
15 years ago
just like the bling!
Car less.....
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

just like the bling!

69project wrote:

Word to ya Mamma, homie.8)
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
69project
15 years ago

Yeah change to euro spec! Towel rails are the devils washing line!:wink:

So that was your car! :wink: I spent a good deal of time looking around it at Lavenham! Lovely!:d :beer:

54 Gertie wrote:

thanks!

i think its important to put a face with a car etc
Car less.....
stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago
go for originals, nice colour, is that mango?
GKL 7
15 years ago
Originals.

Towel rails are OK,but unless the body work has the holes for the support bars,they are only ever going to be an add on.
69project
15 years ago
yep its mango,totally timewarp and a joy to drive!

will put a pic up at weekend of what other bumpers look like,am told bumpers are from a 61 and overiders are oe...

we will see...
Car less.....
Boris1966
15 years ago
Hey there,

I think if the car is European then stick to the Euro look, although i do love the extra chrome of the towel rails!

Lovely car by the way. 🙂
lifeintheslowlane
15 years ago
I like both. I had original towel rails on my, (now Steve Rutter's) '59 Beetle and I thought they looked great. I found the "bling" effect of that extra chrome quite spectacular but being true to the car's history I never considered anything else.

By that token, if it's a Euro car it should have Euro bumpers.
John.
69project
15 years ago
overriders are here!!!

bumpers 2mrw!

then we will see...
Car less.....
69project
15 years ago
had a trial fit ydy and it just isnt me,staying with the devils washing line....:roll:

just didnt look right

UserPostedImage

if anybody is interested let me know
Car less.....
tofufi
15 years ago
Are they original VW bumpers (the new Euro ones with overriders)? 🙂
69project
15 years ago
so i was told,very heavy although no vw stamp on them?(already sold them though!)

overriders are all stamped vw and available
Car less.....
mrsherbie
15 years ago
I like both types but I agree, without support holes in your wings they will never be 'exactly right' ( if you were that bothered though)

The only thing I would point out is that if your towel rails are the cheap ones? ( ie not the high quality repro US type that WW sell which end up costing 1k pair landed) they will start to rust very soon, inside a year! and you will be back to this same dilemma again very soon! (And the stainless US spec repro's made in Vietnam ( or wherever) are very wrong in a number of ways too)

If those over riders are og and good, dont sell them! You will regret it. They are getting really hard to find and originals are far better fit and quality than any repros you will ever find. I have a pair of stainless blades that I bought from Heritage when they first started selling ss, but with mint genuine over riders and it is the perfect mix of old and new
( they are in my garage not on a car at the moment mind you)
So in future the blades are not a problem to buy again, but the over riders currently are, a nos over rider or absolutely mint rustfree used is now worth £40-50 each! a rechromed original can be bought from KK for £40 each. There IS demand for these now.

Just my usual confusing addition to the topic :lol:

PS. NOTE TO EVERYONE, NEVER throw away your probably surface rusty original black reinforcing brackets and replace with new crappy repro's!! None of the repros fit properly! Restore your originals and re-use! nos are at worth £10 each now and you need 8, so you do the maths :wink:

"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
GKL 7
15 years ago

costing 1k pair landed

mrsherbie wrote:

:shock: Blimey,that's crazy money.
mrsherbie
15 years ago

:shock: Blimey,that's crazy money.

'50 Karmann wrote:

maybe I guessed slightly over, but I was going to buy a set 9 years ago and even back then it worked out at that because WW airfreight, and now with the $ strong we are back at that again as the bumpers are $359 + $419 + $airfrieght costs, but they do come in lovely cloth bags :d , and when I saw them in USA in 2001 they really were super quality and the towel rails were the right shape which the gsf & Vietnamese type never have been. That was a long time ago though so they might have improved.

Genuine mint used front euro blades are now getting more valuable and hard to find perfect too.

TIP NO 2! :lol: NO seriously!

Dont throw away your original chrome dome headed bumper bolts either! repros are rubbish by comparison to og when you look up close, poor chrome.
Again, typical parts that people toss away and fit new without inspecting them properly! Its only because we have lots that I have gone through them all for comparisons as I am surprised how many people O gets wanting to buy good used brackets and bolts for quality restoration jobs.
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
GKL 7
15 years ago
Agree 100% Anna.
Restore Originals.
But chrome plating is now a scary price.
I paid £500 for two grooved bumpers and eight interior handles(it's a cab.)
Beautiful job.
The guy said strict health and safety at work rules meant added expense passed on to the customer.Something about playing with acid:lol:
Etzhold1
15 years ago
Hi George,

500£ is not to bad ! The handles are a diffecult job !!
I payed a year ago for 2 complete Karmann ghia bumpers (American style) 1275 euro(1140£)
Perfect job, but very expencive, but the customer wanted perfect original bumpers !
He has them now !
Christian told me that he know a guy in Poland that is working for good prices and delivering perfect parts ! I have seen hubcabs done by the Polisch guy, realy nice !

Guido