Rich Oakley
15 years ago
Right then! Here's a few facts with related questions regarding early post-Oval wings...

This is an early post-Oval headlight bucket (notice the flat part at the rear with the two vertical indentations)...
UserPostedImage

Did these two vertical indentations continue to be used on 60s wings? I don't have any at hand to check.

Wings with a 'kick' at the trailing edge were used until July 1958..
UserPostedImage

As far as I know, 1959-only wings have two rubber bungs in bottom of the headlight bucket..
UserPostedImage

Does anybody out there know about 1960 model wings? I have owned a couple of very nice, original 1960 model Beetles (Aug '59-Jul '60) with original wings. Neither of them had the metal wiring tubes (or quarter panels with holes for mounting the tubes). The wings did not have the pronounced 'hump', but being on semaphore cars, had no holes for indicators on the top. Perhaps somebody with a '60 model could check theirs for me.
I have been told by a few people that their '60 models have the earlier style wing with headlight wire tube etc.

Comments very welcome to clarify the 58-60 wing situation!
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
RoRoVw
15 years ago
Just been out to the garage to check the situation on my 1960 Standard. Built 8th April 1960 and definately still with it's original wings.
It does not have the metal wiring tube between the inner wing and the headlamp bowl - the wiring uses the rubber conduit and enters the bowl towards the top at the side.
It does however have the two vertical indentations at the back of the bowl and apart from the wiring tube hole appears identical to your first photo.

I've also checked the 1959 Deluxe, similarly still having it's original front wings. This does have the metal wiring tube and seems identical to your first photo. However it doesn't have the two rubber bungs in the bottom, as the ones in your third photo. But it does have a very late '59 model year build date of 1st July.

Does this help at all?
Cheers Rob.
Rich Oakley
15 years ago
Rob,

That's a fantastic response- thank you!

It has confirmed my belief that '60 models did not have the metal wiring tubes and were the first model to have the less pronounced 'hump' on the top of the wing. This ties in with the two very original '60 models I have owned and a pair of '60 wings I have in my garage. It makes these 'one year only' wings.

The '59 wings are interesting. Again, I've owned/own three very original '59s. Along with another two sets of '59 wings I own, they all have the two rubber bungs in the bottom of the bowls. Maybe this feature was disconutinued towards the very end of the '59 model year when your Garnet Red car was built.

This pretty much means that 58s, 59s and 60s all have their own unique wings!

Thanks once again,
Rich.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
stickman
15 years ago
Thats great to know, because despite recent posts i was still confused! :oops: My 1960 does not have the mounting facility on the inner wing for the metal wiring tube / conduit, so i was convinced the flexi hose was correct. I'll check the headlight bowls to see if they are as per the first photo, but alas i fear they won't be:(

This post is very useful and should clear things up! Thanks!
RoRoVw
15 years ago
You're welcome, Rich.
Very interesting research.
So what's the purpose of the two rubber bungs in the bottom of the headlamp bowl?
Rich Oakley
15 years ago

You're welcome, Rich.
Very interesting research.
So what's the purpose of the two rubber bungs in the bottom of the headlamp bowl?

RoRoVw wrote:

I have no idea! But it seems they were on post-Aug '58 to June(?) '59 cars only.
rickycox
15 years ago
Hi Rich... and all concerned...

Just checked mine, and I agree with the above as mine is build date September 1959 ( 60 model ) and has the 2 indents in the headlamp bowl, one hole in the bottom not two, and no conduit. Although I cant guarantee my wings are original they look like they should be !!! lol ( joke )

What is the date for the change over from 1959 - 60 model ? I guess its in summer " shut down " but if so when did the first 60 car leave the factory ?

R

Classic Volkswagen & Porsche Restoration
www.wonkydonkeyemporium.co.uk 
Follow us on Twitter 
Rich Oakley
15 years ago

Hi Rich... and all concerned...

Just checked mine, and I agree with the above as mine is build date September 1959 ( 60 model ) and has the 2 indents in the headlamp bowl, one hole in the bottom not two, and no conduit. Although I cant guarantee my wings are original they look like they should be !!! lol ( joke )

What is the date for the change over from 1959 - 60 model ? I guess its in summer " shut down " but if so when did the first 60 car leave the factory ?

R

rickycox wrote:

Hi Ricky,

The first 60 model was available from 1st August '59, so it would have been built a few weeks prior to that (I would imagine). Thanks for the info on your wings- I'm pretty sure they are original to your car.

Rich.