JARV
  • JARV
  • Regular Topic Starter
15 years ago
Can anyone confirm if the original Pearl Grey was gloss or semi gloss.

Paint suppliers are telling me semi gloss but wanted to check.....

Thanks,

Phil.
'52 Standard Split
'56 Fire Bus
'58 Deluxe Beetle (RHD)
'64 Karmann Beetle Cabriolet
'67 Camper (RHD)
'07 T5 175 LWB Window Van

Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
johnshenry
15 years ago
I don't know the answer, but I would think it would be a gloss. I am interested because I am restoring a '51 Std that is/will be that color. I know it is a single stage paint.

I think VW used single stage gloss enamels on all cars.
Standard split
15 years ago
Gloss. But not as glossy as that awful modern two-pack stuff you'll get offered:!:

Now matter how old you car gets this paint looks like its just been applied :evil:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
johnshenry
15 years ago

Gloss. But not as glossy as that awful modern two-pack stuff you'll get offered:!:

Now matter how old you car gets this paint looks like its just been applied :evil:

Standard split wrote:

That is so true. My '57 is painted in 2 stage (color/clear) urethane, Diamond Green Metallic. Was painted in 1998, I have put over 11,000 miles on the car, and it still looks like it just rolled out of the paintbooth. I like it on that car, but my std will be much flatter.

I'll use a single stage urethane. I am totally sold on the durability of urethane paints....
Standard split
15 years ago

Was painted in 1998, I have put over 11,000 miles on the car, and it still looks like it just rolled out of the paintbooth. I like it on that car, but my std will be much flatter.

To be honest I don't think its too great even on the early De-Luxe cars, but I suppose I like an old car to look… well, old :roll:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
lou cypher
15 years ago

I don't know the answer, but I would think it would be a gloss. I am interested because I am restoring a '51 Std that is/will be that color. I know it is a single stage paint.

I think VW used single stage gloss enamels on all cars.

johnshenry wrote:

In '51 they were using gloss enamel, although not as gloss as todays paint

you can achieve the original factory look, you need to use base coat followed by clear coat
48REME
15 years ago

Can anyone confirm if the original Pearl Grey was gloss or semi gloss.

Paint suppliers are telling me semi gloss but wanted to check.....

Thanks,

Phil.

JARV wrote:

Here is a period picture of a Dunkelblau Standard. There never were any post May-49 semi-matt or satin finished Standard models.:wink:  Volker+Käfer.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
JARV
  • JARV
  • Regular Topic Starter
15 years ago
Thanks for all the replies, I'll definately be going with the gloss finish:d
'52 Standard Split
'56 Fire Bus
'58 Deluxe Beetle (RHD)
'64 Karmann Beetle Cabriolet
'67 Camper (RHD)
'07 T5 175 LWB Window Van

sunstarfans
14 years ago
Did anyone have the color paint reference (Pantone, RAL, Siken code) of the Pearl Grey L21. We are going to repaint it in the diecast model.
vintagevw
14 years ago
One tone could be shiny too if it is painted well...
My zwitter vert is also painted in one tone... :wink:
Wat is het fijn om lesbisch te zijn!
Standard split
14 years ago

There never were any post May-49 semi-matt or satin finished Standard models.:wink:

48REME wrote:

Home-made-toffee :twisted: