69project
15 years ago
as one of my many little jobs to do is my heating

at the mo the right hand channel seems to work ok(lets a little air by when closed!) but left hand side does nothing

on my 69 beetle the heating was operated by a louvre system,how does this work on earlier models?

does the knob that twists round tighten a cable or like?

if anybody has any drawings etc could they let me know

thanks

simon
Car less.....
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Rich Oakley
15 years ago

as one of my many little jobs to do is my heating

at the mo the right hand channel seems to work ok(lets a little air by when closed!) but left hand side does nothing

on my 69 beetle the heating was operated by a louvre system,how does this work on earlier models?

does the knob that twists round tighten a cable or like?

if anybody has any drawings etc could they let me know

thanks

simon

69project wrote:

A Louvre system?
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
pre67vw
15 years ago

A Louvre system?

Rich Oakley wrote:

Yep, it's from the French Renaissance . I think he means Lever system?

I'd like to know how the heater knob works as well actually...
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Rich Oakley
15 years ago
You need to get a good pair of grips and un-do the collar underneath the knob- this is sometimes very tight. Once un-screwed, you will be able to draw the whole mechanism out from the chassis. From here you should be able to figure it out. To change the cable, you need to crease a new cable at exactly the half way point, remove the little pin in the slotted barrel, slip the cable in and feed it into the two tiny cable holes in the chassis. Lube everthing up well and make sure that the whole mechanism doesn't turn when you turn the knob or you will ruin the cable.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
harveypj
15 years ago
Here's a snipit from one of my past posts, its alote easier to look at a manual thou.

(technical help section - 58 heating system)

The heating system, well i'll try and keep this as simple as poss, but as you say a picture speaks a 1000 words.

When you turn the heating control knob next to the gear stick a damper is raised in the tin ware under the engine (the bit under the cylinders)at the same time a flap (butterfly choke looking thing) opens in the 'neck' of the heater box' (the heater box is the predeceser to the heat exchanger found on later bugs, serves the same function only not as well as there are no fins on the exhaust to allow good heat exchange, also smaller).
What this does is block the cooling airs exit (the damper) and diverts it out of the front of the heater box (butterfly flap) into the tubes ( these are what have been disconected)that carries it into and along the heater channels (same as on later cars)
where it then exits through a small vent by your feet in the front and keeps you toasty....if your realy luckyLaughing

This is known as a stale air system, as gert54 says its the same air heating you that has just cooled the engine. later cars have a larger fan housing that incorperate outlets (2 large pipes, 1 either side of the engine) that allow air to be diverted direct to the heat exchangers before it passes over the cylinders, so delivering fresh air to the cabin.

Stock......the new custom
harveypj
15 years ago

To change the cable, you need to crease a new cable at exactly the half way point,

Rich Oakley wrote:

Not quite in the middle, One side is actualy about an inch longer than the other.
I replaced mine, the replacement cable came pre folded and indeed had one side longer than the other, this ties up with the original VW workshop manual.

Quote: 'The longer end of the heater control cable must be inserted into nthe right hand conduit tube (as seen in driving direction)'
Why?
It is to allow for the offset of the cylynders, ie the cylinders on the RHS are further back than those on the left.

OMG, did I just correct Rich? :shock: :lol:
Stock......the new custom
69project
15 years ago
thanks...i think!

knew it wasnt simple so will go outside at weekend armed with laptop then complain that car is in many pieces and laptop is dirty....:lol:
Car less.....
69project
15 years ago
all sorted....thanks pete!!!!
Car less.....