Ovalbug
  • Ovalbug
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
15 years ago
I happened to be going through a pile of old photos earlier and came across some that I'd almost forgotten I'd taken, in the latter part of 1989.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Apart from making me feel very old :lol: the photos now just make me feel incredibly sad that such great little cars could have ended up like this :cry: .
In those days I was into Karmann Ghias more than Beetles :!: and so was at a farm buying a KG for spares.
The farmer had a place full of VW's, those were the days when he'd buy a car for £25, run it until it conked out and then park it up in a corner of the field, and then go out and buy another.
Sadly he thought all of his vehicles were worth a fortune, which they weren't as not a single one had been kept under cover 😳 .
There must have been about a dozen VW's of all sorts there, mainly 60s/70s Type 3 and 4, the oldest being a Split and an oval.
The Split looks 50ish to me , with ribbed semaphores and no quarterlights, the oval I haven't a clue as the pics aren't very diagnostic....
If only we could go back in time eh........

:wink:
'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
'72 1302LS Karmann Cabrio RHD
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
VW Stan
15 years ago
A rhd split too!
It's hard to say what my girlfriend does for a living...

...She sells sea shells on the sea shore!
Ovalbug
  • Ovalbug
15 years ago

A rhd split too!

VW Stan wrote:

I reckon it was probably a converted LHD; the April '59 Ghia that I bought from the farm (which of course was a low-light model that only came in LHD format) was RHD too.
Thought I'd discovered the only surviving RHD low-light Ghia in existence until I found the hole in the front bulkhead where the LHD steering column had once passed through :lol: .

'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
tman
  • tman
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

I reckon it was probably a converted LHD

Ovalbug wrote:

The radio in the right-hand pod kindof supports your theory too.

UserPostedImage
Andrew
195x Deluxe oval Beetle
Binz Doublecab
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago
Are those Type 4s?? Oh the humanity!
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
VW Stan
15 years ago
have you been back to see if any are still there?

:shock:

It's hard to say what my girlfriend does for a living...

...She sells sea shells on the sea shore!
Ovalbug
  • Ovalbug
15 years ago

have you been back to see if any are still there?

:shock:

VW Stan wrote:

No,the farm was in the middle of no-where, and not really sure if I even remember where it was :? .
Will have to dig out some papers though as I think I have the original buff logbook for the Karmann Ghia which will contain the farmers address :wink: .
By now though he'd probably want more than my house is worth for anything he had left...........:lol:
'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
vintagevw
15 years ago
There was a Philips radio in it!
Wat is het fijn om lesbisch te zijn!
RockStock
15 years ago
got any pics of the lowlight?
StockRocks
GKL 7
15 years ago

Are those Type 4s?? Oh the humanity!

JD wrote:

412 LS was a great car,i had one:oops: 32,000mls from new, went like a rocket.And you could sleep in the back.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

412 LS was a great car,i had one:oops: 32,000mls from new, went like a rocket.And you could sleep in the back.

'50 Karmann wrote:

I´ve seen one here with a Porsche six in it. Very easy fit apparently and no-one would ever expect it!
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Rich Oakley
15 years ago
Was that somewhere near Brecon?
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago
that oval looks saveable!!, i wonder if its still there...
Standard split
15 years ago
The Split would have provided some goodies then.

Probably a pile of dust by now, with the oval not far behind :cry:
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
mrsherbie
15 years ago
(Rich's wife) "Your dinner is on the table Honey! :d " meanwhile front door slams, tyres screech off drive...
:lol:
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
Ovalbug
  • Ovalbug
15 years ago
Haven't really got any pics of the Ghia, the bottom 12 inches of the car had gone, how it was winched onto the car trailer intact was a miracle :lol: .
It was rotten as a pear, those fields certainly were unkind to anything stored there....
No, it wasn't anywhere near Brecon, it was much further west.
Really doubt if anything survives today, one more thing I do remember was that the farmer had a pair of those (diesel?) Porsche tractors as well, not wrecks but still in regular use......

'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

Haven't really got any pics of the Ghia, the bottom 12 inches of the car had gone, how it was winched onto the car trailer intact was a miracle :lol: .
It was rotten as a pear, those fields certainly were unkind to anything stored there....
No, it wasn't anywhere near Brecon, it was much further west.
Really doubt if anything survives today, one more thing I do remember was that the farmer had a pair of those (diesel?) Porsche tractors as well, not wrecks but still in regular use......

Ovalbug wrote:

you should make contact with the guy & just enquire whats still there, or go & take a peek... or give me the address :lol:
55Kab
15 years ago
Love the photos. It would certainly be interesting to find out if they were still there. You just never know! Have you looked on Google Earth?
Dubster
15 years ago

'50 Karmann wrote:

I picked one up last summer, hope to have her on the road by June.

UserPostedImage

It's been a while since it's been on the road!

UserPostedImage

I see what you mean about space to sleep in one.

UserPostedImage

December 1966 UK 1500 Beetle
Ovalbug
  • Ovalbug
15 years ago

Love the photos. It would certainly be interesting to find out if they were still there. You just never know! Have you looked on Google Earth?

55Kab wrote:

Thats a brilliant idea! Will try and do that when I get a bit of spare time...

'63 Karmann Ghia RHD