paxo
  • paxo
  • Guest Topic Starter
15 years ago
Ive just overhauled the reduction boxes on the rear of my 67 splitty. Almost finished but i cant get the outer wheel bearings over the splines on the shaft they are far too tight.Lightly drifting them on is actually marking the splines on the shaft.Should they be this tight ? The old ones i took off were tight but did not mark the shaft and moved with light pressure.Anyone had this problem ?? Im wondering if the bearing inside diameter is out of tolerance i.e. too small. Thanks in advance !
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Kev
  • Kev
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago
Do you still have the old bearings to measure ?

Someone more into buses should be able to confirm but I know splittys have two sizes of rear axle nut, early = small and later = big, maybe you have the earlier bearings (pre 63-64 I think)?

Cheers
Kev
Jules
15 years ago
The smaller axle nut is found on 1200cc vans and is 36mm, the larger axle nut is found on 1500's and is 46mm.

Different bearings are listed for each but the id of both is the same at 30mm
paxo
  • paxo
  • Guest Topic Starter
15 years ago
Thanks for the replies. Mine is definitely the later setup and the bearings are the right reference number etc. Has anyone on here fitted a set ? If so did the wheel bearings need that much force to get along the shaft ??