1inchwarrior
15 years ago
Looking for some genuine advice on the value of my 1955 OVAL, it's RHD and has original interior, transmission and engine.

It has been lowered and is fitted with an adjustable front beam however I still have the original front beam.

Running on Flat 4 BRMS

Here are some pictures below.

So how much do you think it is worth??? Insurance or real value, thanks.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
1inchwarrior
15 years ago
anybody know????
54 Gertie
15 years ago
Im guessing its an imported RHD car? :? :wink:

Still very nice but it will effect its value! :wink:
William
55Kab
15 years ago
I would think from the photos between £4.5k-£6k.

Looks nice but what will affect its value will be whether it is an OG UK car and what the condition is like structually. Clearly its been repainted and if a UK dealer car has lost its original registration which impacks value I think.
VW Stan
15 years ago
I reckon your asking price is in the right area but, most people who frequent this forum would be looking for a stock bug.
If it was still in it's original colour, stock hight with stock wheels, then between £5-£6K and you should soon find a buyer.

I'm sure most potential buyers on here wouldn't want to spend an extra £2-£3K to put it back to it's original colour.

Mind you, it still looks very nice in red though!

:d

It's hard to say what my girlfriend does for a living...

...She sells sea shells on the sea shore!
mrsherbie
15 years ago
I also think you have the price spot on myself. The ruby? would put off probably most stockers, but thats a tiny % of the market, and for the rest of the vw buying market it is a really nice clean looking oval with exactly the right mods and stance. The thing you need to sell it is only time..to find its buyer. To sell fast you would have to get nearer to 5k, but I would'nt take that for it if it was me! Good Luck :d
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
55Kab
15 years ago

stance

mrsherbie wrote:

"stance"...??? You've been reading VW and Ultra again Anna! :lol:
1inchwarrior
15 years ago
It's an original UK RHD, someone transfered the orignal reg many years ago (I have all the documentation from the DVLA) it's now on a Mercedes I believe.

Does that have any bearing on the value??
stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago
[quote=1inchwarrior]Looking for some genuine advice on the value of my 1955 OVAL, it's RHD and has original interior, transmission and engine.

It has been lowered and is fitted with an adjustable front beam however I still have the original front beam.

Running on Flat 4 BRMS

Here are some pictures below.

So how much do you think it is worth???

to answer your question, its only worth what someone will pay, you've advertised it on volkszone & presumably other places too? @ 6k?, and no one has bitten you arm off, so 6k is clearly to expensive,

to be fair this car has no originality left, wrong colour, wrong wheels, repro wings, repro running boards, retrimmed interior, repainted steering wheel, wrong horn push, wrong gear stick etc etc, i would say volkszones the best place to sell it, as people on here are a bit more purist, try 5k, you might get lucky,

im looking for an oval at the mo, but im after something more original
1inchwarrior
15 years ago

to answer your question, its only worth what someone will pay, you've advertised it on volkszone & presumably other places too? @ 6k?, and no one has bitten you arm off, so 6k is clearly to expensive,

to be fair this car has no originality left, wrong colour, wrong wheels, repro wings, repro running boards, retrimmed interior, repainted steering wheel, wrong horn push, wrong gear stick etc etc, i would say volkszones the best place to sell it, as people on here are a bit more purist, try 5k, you might get lucky,

im looking for an oval at the mo, but im after something more original

stu wrote:

Gee thanks Stu, actually I'm on here asking for advice as it's only been on Vzi a few days and people are offering me the asking price without having seen it in the flesh....was wondering if they all knew something that I didn't. Was worried that I had underestimated the value of my car.
stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

Gee thanks Stu, actually I'm on here asking for advice as it's only been on Vzi a few days and people are offering me the asking price without having seen it in the flesh....was wondering if they all knew something that I didn't. Was worried that I had underestimated the value of my car.

1inchwarrior wrote:

if someones offers you 6k for it take the money & run is my best advice lol
55Kab
15 years ago

It's an original UK RHD, someone transfered the orignal reg many years ago (I have all the documentation from the DVLA) it's now on a Mercedes I believe.

Does that have any bearing on the value??

1inchwarrior wrote:

I think so. Without its original reg it's worth more than an Aussie or SA RHD.
55Kab
15 years ago

[quote=1inchwarrior]to be fair this car has no originality left, wrong colour, wrong wheels, repro wings, repro running boards, retrimmed interior, repainted steering wheel, wrong horn push, wrong gear stick etc etc

stu wrote:

Little harsh there Stu.

After all, for a lot of people it's a nice looking Bug, it's a UK RHD car and is pre Aug-55 so has the nice bits, ribbed doors, batwing, hearts etc. Unless you're really anal (like me! :wink: )
repro wings and boards don't matter, certainly a repainted steering wheel doesn't and wheels, horn push and shifter are all easy change items that are relatively easy to find.
pre67vw
15 years ago

repro wings and boards don't matter, certainly a repainted steering wheel doesn't and wheels, horn push and shifter are all easy change items that are relatively easy to find.

55Kab wrote:

I think these things certainly do matter when putting a value on a classic, I think it's priced about right at the moment for what it is - but I'd value it slightly higher if it was more original. OK, wheels don't matter too much because they're easily changed, but colour is not easy to fix, and original wings matter a lot on an early oval. Looks like a nice car though, even if there seems to be something broken on the suspension :wink:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
55Kab
15 years ago
Agree totally Rob. My comments were in respect of the majority who will not be as concerned as "us" about non original wings and probably colour.
stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

Little harsh there Stu.

After all, for a lot of people it's a nice looking Bug, it's a UK RHD car and is pre Aug-55 so has the nice bits, ribbed doors, batwing, hearts etc. Unless you're really anal (like me! :wink: )

55Kab wrote:

you cant be that anal if repro wings, running boards, repainted wheel, horn push, wheels dont matter!, for 6k i'd want all those parts original...!

it wasnt meant as harsh, just pointing out all the wrong stuff on it, he was asking for a valuation, 6k for a car with all this wrong stuff is way overpriced in my opnion, we dont even no what condition the body shells in?, it could be a patchwork quilt of welds underneath all that repro carpet.
stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago
wrong headlights too...
pre67vw
15 years ago

My comments were in respect of the majority who will not be as concerned as "us" about non original wings and probably colour.

55Kab wrote:

"us"? I thought you were one of them there resto-cal people :lol: obviously not that concerned with originality?? :lol:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
pre67vw
15 years ago

6k for a car with all this wrong stuff is way overpriced in my opnion..

stu wrote:

I would agree except that it's a RHD pre '55 grooved doors & hearts model, which I think bumps it's value up compared to a LHD '56-'57
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
harveypj
15 years ago
Agree with 55Kab, plus the fact it has never been a 'basket case' which is a BIG plus in my book.
For the majority of the scene where 'Resto' is king, its a fully sorted car for reasonable money.

I best add, for my money it would have to be original (proper), but my point is most arnt as bothered. You only had to look around the Volksworld show to realise that.
Stock......the new custom