dexter
  • dexter
  • Regular Topic Starter
15 years ago
Hello all

I'm hoping someone on here can help me

1 - is there a thin waffle type washer that sits under the distributor drive on a 30 hp motor? If there is where can I get one from. (i'm pretty sure later engine had two under the gear)

2 - I need to do my king pins. Has anyone done this themselves? can you do it without a press? what diameter reamer do you need and where is the best place to get one. Alternatively, who does them in east anglia and what should I be paying? I'd like to do it myself, that way you know it's done properly, so a step by step guide would be ideal :d

Any help appreciated.
Life, Love & Unity
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
VW Stan
15 years ago
If you have a look in the technical section of the Historic VW club website, there's a 'King and Link Pin Overhaul' section which might be helpful...

https://www.historicvws.org.uk/ 

:d

It's hard to say what my girlfriend does for a living...

...She sells sea shells on the sea shore!
dexter
  • dexter
  • Regular Topic Starter
15 years ago
That's spot on thank you very much VW Stan.

Anyone on the distributor drive washer/shim?
Life, Love & Unity
dexter
  • dexter
  • Regular Topic Starter
15 years ago
Anyone???............what it is, I think there is a small waffle shaped washer/shim that goes between the case and the distributor drive, but I'm not sure if a 30hp motor has one (I never found one when the motor was ripped down, but it could have got stuck in the old oil and then washed out when the case was cleaned). One of you clever fella will know for sure!?
Life, Love & Unity
Ovalbug
15 years ago
Just had a look in my '61 illustrated parts manual, and for the 30 bhp engine there is indeed a washer underneath the distributor drive..........
It is described as 'washer-distributor drive pinion' and is part number 111 105 235.
Hope this helps!
:wink:
'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
'72 1302LS Karmann Cabrio RHD
VW Stan
15 years ago
From a '45 25hp manual - No. 8?

page014.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
It's hard to say what my girlfriend does for a living...

...She sells sea shells on the sea shore!
dexter
  • dexter
  • Regular Topic Starter
15 years ago
Yeap numero 8's the one. Spot-onski chaps, that tells me just what I need to know. Thanks very much for your help.
Life, Love & Unity
Olson
15 years ago
Glen did you get the king pins done? If not I have a bloke up here near Bungay that does them for us, £60, one week turn-around.
dexter
  • dexter
  • Regular Topic Starter
14 years ago
Olson - Is that you Oli my friend? Sorry for the late reply and no I haven't had them done yet. If you could get me the contact details then I can give him a call, or text me 07867 641775.

Right people, the other thing is the plot thickens on the distributor washer/shim front. At Stanford Hall on sunday I asked Stateside Tuning for one of the said washer/shim, specifing that it was for a 30hp motor, only to be told that the shim was completely different in diameter and thickness to the ones in later engines. Plus, the guy also advised me that they were produced in four different thicknesses to allow the gap/clearance between the distributor drive and the distributor shaft to be adjusted correctly to suit the engine - DTI jobbie apparently.

So I have an engine sitting here waiting for one lousy washer that seem as rare as rocking horse dodo. TBH, I'm getting a bit jarred off with the whole 30hp malarky and I'm starting to wonder why I don't just drop a later motor in :?

So, to stop me doing something I shouldn't ('cos we all know 30hp is where it's at really and I've spent a fortune getting it looking nice) can someone enlighten me on exactly what this feckin washer/shim looks like and or does, or even better tell me they have a shim for sale!!!!!!!!

AAAAAGGGHHHH - I just want to drive my car this summer :!: :roll:
Life, Love & Unity