Graham
  • Graham
  • Regular Topic Starter
14 years ago
Hi

Heres a pic of my Brothers new car, Its a 56 Oval, had sat in a shed for 21 years! Under the lid it has a Judson fitted! period accessories include marschall fog light, fanfare horns and has all history including sales brochure and receipt from the 50's and its rot free! a real gem of a car, more pics to follow.

UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Graham
  • Graham
  • Regular Topic Starter
Graham
  • Graham
  • Regular Topic Starter
Caledfryn
14 years ago
Fantastic find.

Is it an Aussie car? Looks like the numberplate says 'vic' (Victoria?)and the roof looks pretty sunburnt!
Graham
  • Graham
  • Regular Topic Starter
14 years ago
Hi

Yes the car came from australia, found in a shed in Victoria, the last owner had left it there 21 years ago and moved to England. When found it had all the accessories fitted and is pictured as found, its had new brake and a good service and thats it and runs lovely, it will be treated to a good clean and waxed to keep our wet weather off it and i'll post more pictures then.
Graham
  • Graham
  • Regular Topic Starter
Graham
  • Graham
  • Regular Topic Starter
14 years ago
Heres what we found under the lid!

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Unfortunately we couldn't negotiate the wheels into the deal...........

UserPostedImage
Rich Oakley
14 years ago
Lovely! Been waiting to see pics of this for a while. Great car! Love the Judson and the '56-only firewall card.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
48REME
14 years ago

the '56-only firewall card.

Rich Oakley wrote:

Well I never knew this...funny because my first Belgian Oval from 1956 also had that ribbed card.:wink:
pre67vw
14 years ago

Unfortunately we couldn't negotiate the wheels into the deal...........

Graham wrote:

So you're stuck with those horrible empis until you find some nice stock wheels?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
rickycox
14 years ago
wow.....beautiful.....

will we see it out at any shows this summer ?
Classic Volkswagen & Porsche Restoration
www.wonkydonkeyemporium.co.uk 
Follow us on Twitter 
Graham
  • Graham
  • Regular Topic Starter
14 years ago

wow.....beautiful.....

will we see it out at any shows this summer ?

rickycox wrote:

Hi

I'm sure he will be, Lavenhams a must, We really would like to keep the car as found, its a true barn find! but we want to preserve it as well ,our climate is a little different from the Australian out back! We plan to give the car a real good clean inside and out, then mop the car all over to freshen the OG paint but leaving the sun burnt areas then give it a good wax , maybe using ankor wax on the areas where the paint has gone, what do you Guys think? is this the right approach?
vintagebug
14 years ago

the '56-only firewall card.

Well I never knew this...funny because my first Belgian Oval from 1956 also had that ribbed card.Wink

I didn't know that either. Every day's a school day, as they say. I guess I'll be out in the garage tomorrow morning to look at the firewall card for my '56, still safely wrapped in the cardboard from when I bought the car last year. Oh yeah, the car's in bits in about 20 boxes... :(

Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
thats one cool patined oval, does he wanna sell?
Graham
  • Graham
  • Regular Topic Starter
14 years ago
I think this ones a keeper!!!:d Here it is after a clean up,

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
ill give ya 3k for it :wink:
Graham
  • Graham
  • Regular Topic Starter
14 years ago
:lol: I'll tell you what if you're looking for a rot free Oval Australias a good place to get one, especially if you can share a container with someone.
stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago

:lol: I'll tell you what if you're looking for a rot free Oval Australias a good place to get one, especially if you can share a container with someone.

Graham wrote:

loughtons a bit nearer than australia lol
mrsherbie
14 years ago
Ooh! Its lovely and so unusual in grey! They had a few funny colours down there late 50's. It looks in similar condition paintwise to my 55 and that has polished up with a lot of waxing and looks ok because its a pale colour and the wax dries white, but I dont really take the oval outdoors (at all :oops: :lol: ) so the thin paint will not deteriorate. On our brown og paint split I have ankor waxed it as its brown, and so is the ankor wax ( ideal) Also recently I have ankor waxed a blue splitvan, but I really just rubbed the ankor wax in lightly on the thin/rusty looking areas and polished it off all the other areas, it does'nt stay on shiny paint so will only stay where it can 'grab'. Looking at yours If it was me I would probably just keep it WELL waxed :d Sometimes you can get lucky and find a colour magic that is close to old paint, but I doubt there is grey! The only thing with ankor wax, dont put it on at all if you ever plan to maybe repaint the car :!: Even ankor wax dries out if car is used outdoors so you will need to reapply it a couple of times a year. Not everyone is a fan of it, but it does have its uses.
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
mrsherbie
14 years ago

'56-only firewall card.

Rich Oakley wrote:

Firewall card year change perving :lol:
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann