Rattletrap
13 years ago

I do get the feeling that in general old established clubs and indeed some so called well informed people in those clubs are out of touch with today's prices.

55Kab wrote:

Many here are too I think, Martin.

Although I'm a stock purist, I'd thought your car nearer to the £40k mark given its high standard of finish.:wink:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
WayneMcCarthy
13 years ago
Its the final figure above the £50,000 for this 1950 Historic Volkswagen Beetle with a massive history file that has yet to be agreed.

Let Me Know The Insurance Company That Agree's Your Value of Rattletrap ....

Martin's 55 Vert , Would have thought An Insurance Value of Somewhere Near 60K !
"Mr Stock"
vintagebug
13 years ago

Me too.

... but I do feel £29k is too low given rarity, overall condition and the cost of having to replace the non standard parts.

Dunno...what do you think?

55Kab wrote:

I think you're correct, Martin. I would say it's way too low. Your particular car is a rare pre-Aug 55 RHD, which has had a huge amount of time, work &, no doubt, money, put into it. Although I haven't seen it "in the flesh" I have seen many pics on the forums and the standard/ quality of work is absolutely second to none.
Out of interest, how many pre-Aug 55 original-RHD cabrios are left these days? Did you get to about 12 when you were searching? Surely that extremely low number on it's own would mean it would be worth more?

I would hazard a guess that the insurance value should be at least £50K, if not more. Maybe you need to speak to a few more insurance companies?

Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
GKL 7
13 years ago

only just found this forum and thread , hugely interesting reading on here :smile:

as for

There are three things in a classic vehicle that are often of more value than the metal itself.

Provenence, history and even a good story or legend behind it – R*****T***'s a good example. Oh and a fourth, low registration numbers (sadly).

so how do you put a value on an SP1600 beetle 1978 complete with original 1600 theo decker t/p engine and exhaust ,14" wide 5 sprintstars armourplated glass cvustom geabox unique to the SP only one in europe . Heritage insurance have insured it for £100k as they have deemed it irreplacable.

its the white one at the bottom on uk plates

https://www.sebeetles.com/sp_bug.htm 

answers on a postcard lol

sp1600 wrote:

There's one for sale on Volkszone.Just a tad under the £100K 'tho.
GKL 7
13 years ago

As far as R*****T*** is concerned, I'm at loggerheads with my insurers at present as to his real value. They agree he's a very historic car and that a value in excess of £50,000 is probable. But a final figure has yet to be agreed before he's put at risk and let lose on the public road.:mellow:

Rattletrap wrote:

As we say here in Wales........"MALU CACHU".
Rattletrap
13 years ago

As we say here in Wales........"MALU CACHU".

'50 Karmann wrote:

As we say here in London… "Home Made Toffee".:rofl:
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
Rattletrap
13 years ago

Its the final figure above the £50,000 for this 1950 Historic Volkswagen Beetle with a massive history file that has yet to be agreed.

Let Me Know The Insurance Company That Agree's Your Value of R*****T*** ....

WayneMcCarthy wrote:

Too me he's priceless, the jewel in the crown of my vintage car collection.:wink:

I would hazard a guess that the insurance value (Martin's '55 Kab) should be at least £50K, if not more.

vintagebug wrote:

X2

I can't disagree with that.:beer:

Rich Oakley
13 years ago

Me too.

I do get the feeling that in general old established clubs and indeed some so called well informed people in those clubs are out of touch with today's prices. I wasn't expecting to get a like for like replacement valuation but I do feel £29k is too low given rarity, overall condition and the cost of having to replace the non standard parts.

Dunno...what do you think?

55Kab wrote:

Martin,

A club valuation for insurance purposes is a like-for-like, total loss valuation. With unique cars like yours, this should be based on and justified by evidence from similar car sales in recent times (other early 'vert ads from thesamba should help, although I appreciate it is difficult to find cars of a similar ilk/standard to compare with).

Rich.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Rich Oakley
13 years ago

As far as R*****T*** is concerned, I'm at loggerheads with my insurers at present as to his real identity.

Rattletrap wrote:

Fixed that for you.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Rich Oakley
13 years ago

only just found this forum and thread , hugely interesting reading on here :smile:

as for

There are three things in a classic vehicle that are often of more value than the metal itself.

Provenence, history and even a good story or legend behind it – R*****T***'s a good example. Oh and a fourth, low registration numbers (sadly).

so how do you put a value on an SP1600 beetle 1978 complete with original 1600 theo decker t/p engine and exhaust ,14" wide 5 sprintstars armourplated glass cvustom geabox unique to the SP only one in europe . Heritage insurance have insured it for £100k as they have deemed it irreplacable.

its the white one at the bottom on uk plates

https://www.sebeetles.com/sp_bug.htm 

answers on a postcard lol

sp1600 wrote:

With all due respect, I agree that the SP1600 is a very unusual and rare late model car, but £100k?? Come on! Knock one of the zeros off the end of that value and you are probably at the high-end of anyone's optimistic valuation of that car.
Rattletrap
13 years ago

With all due respect, I agree that the SP1600 is a very unusual and rare late model car, but £100k?? Come on! Knock one of the zeros off the end of that value and you are probably at the high-end of anyone's optimistic valuation of that car.

Rich Oakley wrote:

I agree these sort of values seem fanciful (except for my Rattletrap of course), but when you see some of the auction results, e.g. $71,500 for a 1964 Type II, you shouldn't scoff.[-x

55Kab
13 years ago

Martin,

A club valuation for insurance purposes is a like-for-like, total loss valuation. With unique cars like yours, this should be based on and justified by evidence from similar car sales in recent times (other early 'vert ads from thesamba should help, although I appreciate it is difficult to find cars of a similar ilk/standard to compare with).

Rich.

Rich Oakley wrote:

Agree Rich but it's finding someone approved by an insurer/underwriter who will provide an accurate valuation.

It doesn't help of course that it's modified but model of car and work carried out on it aside, the engine, gearbox, brakes and wheels would cost more than £20k on their own to replace, let alone finding a replacement car to fit all those to!

So what to do? It needs someone from an approved club to provide a letter confirming the car is worth the types of figures being quoted here otherwise it doesn't happen...and the best I can get so far is £29k from the cabby owners club...
55Kab
13 years ago

I think you're correct, Martin. I would say it's way too low. Your particular car is a rare pre-Aug 55 RHD, which has had a huge amount of time, work &, no doubt, money, put into it. Although I haven't seen it "in the flesh" I have seen many pics on the forums and the standard/ quality of work is absolutely second to none.
Out of interest, how many pre-Aug 55 original-RHD cabrios are left these days? Did you get to about 12 when you were searching? Surely that extremely low number on it's own would mean it would be worth more?

I would hazard a guess that the insurance value should be at least £50K, if not more. Maybe you need to speak to a few more insurance companies?

vintagebug wrote:

The number of pre-Aug 55 RHD's I've got on the list is 17 Dave but out of those not all are currently either accounted for or confirmed OG RHD.

However, as a sub group, UK dealer supplied pre-Aug 55 RHD's total 6 and out of those 1 is not confirmed and another is on a later pan.

Speaking to the insurers doesn't help as they want an agreed value backed up by a valuation from a club as after all, they expect the "club" to know how much cars are worth. Hence my comment I think they're out of touch as it was clear the Cabriolet owners club were not going to provide a figure of £40k plus.

Think I'll just keep it in the garage and sit in it making brmmm, brmmm noises! :d
GKL 7
13 years ago

So what to do? It needs someone from an approved club to provide a letter confirming the car is worth the types of figures being quoted here otherwise it doesn't happen...and the best I can get so far is £29k from the cabby owners club...

55Kab wrote:

Bob Shaill.
Route i went down,He will value the car for you for a VERY small fee and supply on headed paper,i obtained agreed value of 50K.

Failing that have a word with Malc Hawkins,he used Footman James for his Heb and they didn't argue with his own valuation.

At this point i would like to say anyone wanting agreed value insurance.Don't go near Adrian Flux.They will agree with you first hand and after the premium is paid they will knock you down,knowing you have no cancellation on the policy without losing all monies paid.I suffered this(on my old '47) and i have spoken to several people that have had the same.
55Kab
13 years ago

Bob Shaill.
Route i went down,He will value the car for you for a VERY small fee and supply on headed paper,i obtained agreed value of 50K.

Failing that have a word with Malc Hawkins,he used Footman James for his Heb and they didn't argue with his own valuation.

'50 Karmann wrote:

Thanks George :beer:

I'll send a mail to Bob now and ask if he can help before going to Malc.
sp1600
13 years ago
my appologies for the spilling of your coffee lol
i might add i didnt put that valuation on the car nor do i rate the value at anywhere near that . they have based the value on the cost of replacing it considering the fact that the only onther two of these cars are owned by vw in germany and vw in south africa .
The carziest thing of all is i cant even sell it for crap money and am now considering breaking the car rather than finishing off the resto on it and even selling off the theo decker engine 😞
six-o-one
13 years ago
I got John Maxwell of the Historic VW Club to do the valuation letter for #601
based on asking/selling prices of other Hebmüllers which have been advertised.

Basically, I could prove how much it would cost to buy another should anything happen to it.
Not so easy with a modified vehicle- The cost of a well restored car plus the cost of all of the goodies would be a good starting point which I guess insurers would agree?

Footman James have always been spot on. Happy to insure for any confirmed valuation, subject to premium!

Malc

55Kab
13 years ago

I got John Maxwell of the Historic VW Club to do the valuation letter for #601
based on asking/selling prices of other Hebmüllers which have been advertised.

Basically, I could prove how much it would cost to buy another should anything happen to it.
Not so easy with a modified vehicle- The cost of a well restored car plus the cost of all of the goodies would be a good starting point which I guess insurers would agree?

Footman James have always been spot on. Happy to insure for any confirmed valuation, subject to premium!

Malc

six-o-one wrote:

Agree with all of that Malc. If my car was stock I would like to think its value would be around the £25-30k mark minimum so with the other modifications it should be pretty clear what the figure should be.
Rattletrap
13 years ago

Bob Shaill.

'50 Karmann wrote:

I'll get some headed paper printed next week…:smile:

…Footman James have always been spot on. Happy to insure for any confirmed valuation, subject to premium!

six-o-one wrote:

X2 :beer:

Decent value placed on my 1937 Tatra T87 with no quibbling at all, same goes for my 'Rattletrap'.8)

GKL 7
13 years ago
What's this special code you talk of in your signature.

I thought it was to do with the fact that you couldn't type the name of a certain car into this forum anymore,mainly because you had bored the tits off every one harping on about it day after day,post after post.

Rattletrap

There we are,tried,can't happen.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: