mrmagyar
14 years ago
Hi all,
Does anybody know where you can get semaphore solenoid coils re-wound? Apparently at the Stonor Park show today there was someone at a stall who offered this service for around £35 but we never found them. I have an early type SHO semaphore which works fine in its skeletal state but when you fit the bulb holder assembly and covers it can't cope and smokes alarmingly! Not good.
By the way, we had a really enjoyable time at the Stonor show today. The weather was beautiful and it was nice to put some faces to forum names; 54 Gertie, Tman and Mrsherbie to name a few!
1949 Belgian Standard
1955 UK RHD De Luxe
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
54 Gertie
14 years ago
Wow, you made good time back! It was a good day wasnt it! 😎

Yes I kept my eyes out for the semaphore guy but I didnt see a big sign saying "I mend semaphores" so no luck too im afraid! :lol:

It may be cheaper to buy a incomplete semaphore and robbing its inernals for use with your arm, lense etc? However, if it is your cars original then it is worth trying to save it!
William
Hawker
14 years ago
I would have a go and re-wind it myself.

It's simply an electromagnetic solenoid. Buy the correct gauge wire and wind it the same number of turns.
tman
  • tman
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
It was great to meet you too Andrew, and Rob and erm, I didn't catch (the alleged) Richard Oakley lookalike chap's name. :oops:
Andrew
195x Deluxe oval Beetle
Binz Doublecab
RoRoVw
14 years ago
The Richard Oakley lookalike (allegedly) is Phil.
tman
  • tman
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
Thanks, Rob... and apologies Phil! :d

Where were the Pre67VW t-shirts when we most needed them, eh? :lol:
Andrew
195x Deluxe oval Beetle
Binz Doublecab
john_boy1959
14 years ago
Regarding your semaphore coils, I noticed the cip1.com website has brand new reproduction semaphores forsale!
John
mrmagyar
14 years ago
Hi John,
I'm hoping to get a good used semaphore at the Hessisch show next week. Buying from the USA works out too expensive by the time postage, UK tax and handling charges have been added on.
1949 Belgian Standard
1955 UK RHD De Luxe
54 Gertie
14 years ago

Regarding your semaphore coils, I noticed the cip1.com website has brand new reproduction semaphores forsale!
John

john_boy1959 wrote:

I would never touch repro semaphores after the ordeal I had trying to make the ones from KK we bought work! It took bending and stuffing bits of card behind the coil to get them to even consider coming up!

They are under a year old and are sat in the garage gathering dust! :wink:
William
GKL 7
14 years ago
12 month gaurantee????
54 Gertie
14 years ago

12 month gaurantee????

'50 Karmann wrote:

Dont know....It's been more like 14 now anyway, we needed them fast for the MOT! :roll:
William