Sunroof53
14 years ago
I couldnt make it and havent seen a single photo from the show .Was it cancelled? :?
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
55Kab
14 years ago

Was it cancelled? :?

Sunroof53 wrote:

:lol: :lol:

No Mike, it's just buffers were probably using box brownies so the processing is still being done :lol:

Lots of photos on RW and Vzi
Sunroof53
14 years ago
I think i might sign up with restowagen ,it looks a really good site .I hadnt taken much notice before .Lots of technical stuff to.Thanks for the tip 55kab:beer:
54 Gertie
14 years ago

I think i might sign up with restowagen ,it looks a really good site .I hadnt taken much notice before .Lots of technical stuff to.Thanks for the tip 55kab:beer:

Sunroof53 wrote:

Yes its a nice friendly site! :d

Evil Ben did seem to get a bit annoyed with me on 55kabs resto thread but I think he just mis understood! :wink: :!:

Caught on camera! :lol: :shock:

UserPostedImage
William
55Kab
14 years ago

Sunroof53 wrote:

It is a really good site. Although it's of course aimed at the lowered and narrowed beam type cars it seems everyone on there is passionate about VW's and even they get very anal about the originality of fixtures, fittings and correct year this and that. So there's lots there to interest someone who is only interested in standard cars.

For me I make no bones about being interested in modified VW's first and foremost but having said that, I love all forms of the VW scene whether it be Vintage, Cal or German-Look cars. Must be my age but I'm not a fan of Rat-Look but each to his own and I can appreciate why people like them.

55Kab
14 years ago

Caught on camera! :lol: :shock:

UserPostedImage

54 Gertie wrote:

That is a lovely car, lovely colour. I think Gertie would benefit from a dark brown top Will.
54 Gertie
14 years ago

That is a lovely car, lovely colour. I think Gertie would benefit from a dark brown top Will.

55Kab wrote:

I know what you mean! When the ragtop (Britax:twisted: ) was fitted in the 80s it was a brown/purple colour. There is still a bit of this coming through the over painted cream. :wink:

This her circa 86 I think, wearing her original paint, with the colour showing! 😎

UserPostedImage

And here she is in 72 before the devil with the grinder and ill fitting sunroof got to her! :shock: :lol:

UserPostedImage
William
Sunroof53
14 years ago

For me I make no bones about being interested in modified VW's first and foremost but having said that, I love all forms of the VW scene whether it be Vintage, Cal or German-Look cars. Must be my age but I'm not a fan of Rat-Look but each to his own and I can appreciate why people like them.

55Kab wrote:

Yes i have a modified car to ,Thats really my roots but have had many standard cars to.Its a bit of a cycle for me i seem to spend time on my standard car for a year or so, then get a need for speed so its back to the 66.I'll post it on the RW site when my account gets activated.

Gertie ,i have'nt read that thread but is that you sat by the brown 53?Or did i miss something?
54 Gertie
14 years ago

Yes i have a modified car to ,Thats really my roots but have had many standard cars to.Its a bit of a cycle for me i seem to spend time on my standard car for a year or so, then get a need for speed so its back to the 66.I'll post it on the RW site when my account gets activated.

Gertie ,i have'nt read that thread but is that you sat by the brown 53?Or did i miss something?

Sunroof53 wrote:

No im the one at the side of the car, next left from the guy on the floor!. Im in full buffer mode and wearing my oval airbrushed t-shirt! :roll: :lol:
William
55Kab
14 years ago

Yes i have a modified car to

Sunroof53 wrote:

Shhhhhhh, don't let Rob hear you otherwise you'll get a "50Karmann" day ban!!! :lol: :lol:

55Kab
14 years ago

ill fitting sunroof

54 Gertie wrote:

What's the long term plan for this then Will? Hope you don't mind me saying but the sunroof just doesn't look right - too flat in the middle.

If the hole's not bigger than an OG 3-fold then I would think the best thing to do would be to replace it by locating (not easy!) another roof section.

54 Gertie
14 years ago

What's the long term plan for this then Will? Hope you don't mind me saying but the sunroof just doesn't look right - too flat in the middle.

If the hole's not bigger than an OG 3-fold then I would think the best thing to do would be to replace it by locating (not easy!) another roof section.

55Kab wrote:

No offense taken, I hate the bloody thing! :twisted:

We arent to sure really! We are planning on getting her resprayed (NOT restored, shiney chrome etc 😳 ) in the coming year as she is showing signs of use and there are rust issues that need sorting before she needs welding. As she stands she is 100% solid and doesnt need welding, although we may re-do a previous repair on the spare wheel well that was using a later 60 panel!

As far as the roof goes I want rid of the Britax, but im in two minds whether to go back to a solid roof or to find a correct Golde? My only problem with fitting a Golde is that for example if we are at a show and someone mentions it I will HAVE to say it is let in and it will just start to grate a bit! :? Just me! However, in the weather we are having currently a ragtop really is the best! 😎 Its almost like having a vert, abeit a lot cheaper as im sure you well know! :shock: :lol:

So ,I am coming round to the idea of a Golde as there is already a hole (luckily smaller) in the roof and we would get it done properly and lead loaded so it should be seamless. Having spoken to Rhodrich at Stonor with the beautiful Pastel green split with a let in ragtop It really isnt a big deal and im sure that many people would have had them dealer fitted in say the 60s! 😛 As he pointed out it is slightly to late for the car (rubber sealing strip, still 3 fold) and he makes no bones about it!

But yes, finding one will be hard! :shock: But it would be worth it as it wont leak, have a drooping headliner, have a shite painted on finish, leak, not seal at the back, leak...I could go on! :roll: :lol:

William
GKL 7
14 years ago

Shhhhhhh, don't let Rob hear you otherwise you'll get a "50Karmann" day ban!!! :lol: :lol:

55Kab wrote:

I was only thinking this evening it was quiet on the Rob front,holidays? Mind you he's been silent since he lost that Swiss Heb.
Maybe we could run riot and post naughty pictures.
Rhodrich
14 years ago

No offense taken, I hate the bloody thing! :twisted:

We arent to sure really! We are planning on getting her resprayed (NOT restored, shiney chrome etc 😳 ) in the coming year as she is showing signs of use and there are rust issues that need sorting before she needs welding. As she stands she is 100% solid and doesnt need welding, although we may re-do a previous repair on the spare wheel well that was using a later 60 panel!

As far as the roof goes I want rid of the Britax, but im in two minds whether to go back to a solid roof or to find a correct Golde? My only problem with fitting a Golde is that for example if we are at a show and someone mentions it I will HAVE to say it is let in and it will just start to grate a bit! :? Just me! However, in the weather we are having currently a ragtop really is the best! 😎 Its almost like having a vert, abeit a lot cheaper as im sure you well know! :shock: :lol:

So ,I am coming round to the idea of a Golde as there is already a hole (luckily smaller) in the roof and we would get it done properly and lead loaded so it should be seamless. Having spoken to Rhrodrich at Stonor with the beautiful Pastel green split with a let in ragtop It really isnt a big deal and im sure that many people would have had them dealer fitted in say the 60s! 😛 As he pointed out it is slightly to late for the car (rubber sealing strip, still 3 fold) and he makes no bones about it!

But yes, finding one will be hard! :shock: But it would be worth it as it wont leak, have a drooping headliner, have a shite painted on finish, leak, not seal at the back, leak...I could go on! :roll: :lol:

54 Gertie wrote:

Your car looks lovely! Good to speak to you on Sunday!

There was a guy in the swapmeet selling a partially restored complete 1950 Ragtop mechanism. I was very tempted to get hold of it, as it would be more correct for my car. Trouble is, he wanted £500, which isn't a bad deal, but considering that mine is in perfect condition, although the incorrect year, it seems to be a bit too much, considering the work needed to swap them over.

That said, if I did do it, then I'd have a spare '53-55 sunroof mechanism....

R

UserPostedImage
54 Gertie
14 years ago

Your car looks lovely! Good to speak to you on Sunday!

There was a guy in the swapmeet selling a partially restored complete 1950 Ragtop mechanism. I was very tempted to get hold of it, as it would be more correct for my car. Trouble is, he wanted £500, which isn't a bad deal, but considering that mine is in perfect condition, although the incorrect year, it seems to be a bit too much, considering the work needed to swap them over.

That said, if I did do it, then I'd have a spare '53-55 sunroof mechanism....

R

UserPostedImage

Rhodrich wrote:

Yes it seems a shame to undo the work that went into the original install and it does look and seemingly work well, and really, who cares about a rubber strip. 😎

But, £500, that seems really cheap to me for an early three fold! :shock: :d
William
55Kab
14 years ago

although we may re-do a previous repair on the spare wheel well that was using a later 60 panel!

54 Gertie wrote:

Do it. Just order the wheel well from Wolf and you'll be done. It'll fit like a glove.

As far as the roof goes I want rid of the Britax, but im in two minds whether to go back to a solid roof or to find a correct Golde? My only problem with fitting a Golde is that for example if we are at a show and someone mentions it I will HAVE to say it is let in and it will just start to grate a bit! :? Just me!

54 Gertie wrote:

I know what you mean but a let-in OG 3-fold to remove a previous bad sunroof would be acceptable as an explanation. Thing is, to go back to a hard top would be harder to do and would require more metal work which I wouldn't want to do on a car as original as Gertie.

However, in the weather we are having currently a ragtop really is the best! 😎 Its almost like having a vert, abeit a lot cheaper as im sure you well know! :shock: :lol:

54 Gertie wrote:

Yeah :roll: But I do have a ragtop too!!! :wink: :lol:

54 Gertie wrote:

Sure I seen one for sale recently, in the UK too, but it wasn't cheap. If that's what you're going to do I'd pick one up as soon as you see one. Will keep my eyes peeled.

54 Gertie
14 years ago
We already have a Wolf panel so im sure we will fit it! :wink: Seems a shame as its solid but it is a little tatty! 😞 :?

Also, what do we do about wings? They are all decent repros (from the 70s! :shock: ) and need changing really before spending money on a re-spray. I guess we will need to find oval ones but finding decent early wings is easier said than done, as you well know I think Martin! :shock: :lol: :wink:
William
stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
ill never understand why anyone would take a really nice original oval or split bug & butcher a huge hole in the roof & plonk an incorrect sunroof in it, or any sunroof in it, it never ceases to amaze me, a hardtop will always look alot better than any sunroof car, if you want the wind in your hair just get a vert! :roll:
tman
  • tman
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago

As far as the roof goes

54 Gertie wrote:

Dysfunctional family alert: If the Britax had originally been fitted okay and just needed maintenance then I'd be more in favour of doing what it took to keep it on there. It has, after all, been on the car for over 20 years and is firmly a part of her history.

That said, it spent the past 20 years unused, it is incomplete and a botched install from the start -- there are holes around the periphery that were drilled by mistake and then covered with sticky rubber tape. The rear reinforcement bow is missing, which I suspect also accounts for the 'flat' appearance. And it leaks!

With a degree of nervous trepidation, I'd like to see a 3-fold in there. Question is, who's paying? :lol:
Andrew
195x Deluxe oval Beetle
Binz Doublecab
Rhodrich
14 years ago

ill never understand why anyone would take a really nice original oval or split bug & butcher a huge hole in the roof & plonk an incorrect sunroof in it, or any sunroof in it, it never ceases to amaze me, a hardtop will always look alot better than any sunroof car, if you want the wind in your hair just get a vert! :roll:

stu wrote:

Simple - a vert is big bucks compared to a ragtop! And I personally think that ragtops look just as good as hard tops. You've obviously never driven a ragtop on a lovely sunny day, with all the window's down - it transforms what is a slightly claustrophobic interior into an airy wonderland. Providing it's fitted properly, there's no downside in the rain or the winter either.

But then I'm not bothered excessively about concours originality - I like driving my car too much. I also have a '65 Mercedes 230SL vert, so I wasn't really looking for one when I bought my 'faux' ragtop. For me, a ragtop is an ideal compromise.