55Kab
  • 55Kab
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
14 years ago
Like all early RHD cars, the Cabrio was brought into the UK and sold by VW Motors Ltd.

I've never seen any photos of the showroom or premises from the fifties (or even early 60's - an old Safer Motoring?) and wondered if anyone had anything they could post.

Also never seen a dealer badge or sticker. Can anyone confirm if they've ever seen one? Perhaps you have a car with one on???

Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Mike Peckham
14 years ago
Bill Boddys book about the Beetle that was published in the early eighties has a number of dealer photographs of VW Motors in London - I think...

I'll check my copy this evening when I get home.

Mike
July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
55Kab
  • 55Kab
14 years ago

Bill Boddys book about the Beetle that was published in the early eighties has a number of dealer photographs of VW Motors in London - I think...

I'll check my copy this evening when I get home.

Mike

Mike Peckham wrote:

If it does any chance you can scan and post up Mike?

Mike Peckham
14 years ago
There are 4, the first shows the frontage of the London Showrooms;

Bill Boddy Book - Front of London Showrooms.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
Mike Peckham
14 years ago
The second is inside the Castrol Lubrication Bay at Lords Court;  Bill Boddy Book - In service dep.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Mike Peckham
14 years ago
The third is the main service station behind the showrooms in Lodge Rd. not far from Lords Cricket Ground;
 Bill Boddy Book - Rear of service dep.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Mike Peckham
14 years ago
And the last is a hand out pic of a RHD Standard from about 53 - 55 (53 judging by the ribbed semaphores?);

Bill Boddy Book - Standard 54.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
55Kab
  • 55Kab
14 years ago
Aha...tks for posting Mike.:wink:

That really gives an insight. Anyone know if any of it survives today?

Anyone with any more pics?

Rich Oakley
14 years ago
Great pics Mike. I'm sure I have seen more somewhere.

You might have already told me Martin, but do you have proof that the car was 'sold' by VW Motors Ltd? They were the S.E. VW distributor so their cars were supplied to numerous dealers in the S.E.

47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
55Kab
  • 55Kab
14 years ago

You might have already told me Martin, but do you have proof that the car was 'sold' by VW Motors Ltd? They were the S.E. VW distributor so their cars were supplied to numerous dealers in the S.E.

Rich Oakley wrote:

Not exactly. The first owner lived in London, can't remember the address, I'll look it out so I think it's safe to assume it came from VW Motors. Can you check where RLL was issued?

I guess that now begs the question how many VW dealerships were in operation nationwide by mid 55, and how many of those were in the SE?

So little data seems to be around on the early days of RHD imported VW's. The story would make a book in itself.

Rich Oakley
14 years ago
You would be surprised at how many VW dealerships were in the UK in 1955 (approaching 200!!). Most of these were agents for other brands too and VWs were very much secondary. There were 12 dealerships in the Greater London area alone by early '56 and VW Motors as a VW appointed distributor supplied many dealerships outside the Greater London area.

47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
gary c
14 years ago
RLL was issued in london area cant be any more specific
ianmac
14 years ago

There are 4, the first shows the frontage of the London Showrooms;

Mike Peckham wrote:

Wouldn't you love a time machine just to be able to wander into that showroom today to have a look round?:shock:
55Kab
  • 55Kab
14 years ago

RLL was issued in london area cant be any more specific

gary c wrote:

Thanks Gary.

First owner lived in SW7 which is a very, very nice part of London and certainly explains the metallic paint (Iris) and the dealer fitted Motormeter Rally Panel.:lol:

With his address being nearly on top of Hyde Park I would think VW Motors would have been no more that 5-6 miles away so it's a safe bet the car came from there.

Anyone with any period dealer literature?

Trying to track down the owner/family at the moment but both he and the second owner have moved so a bit of detective work is going on. Would be fantastic to hear some stories and of course the ultimate, find some photos of the car in its youth.

Rich Oakley
14 years ago

First owner lived in SW7 which is a very, very nice part of London and certainly explains the metallic paint (Iris) and the dealer fitted Motormeter Rally Panel.:lol:

With his address being nearly on top of Hyde Park I would think VW Motors would have been no more that 5-6 miles away so it's a safe bet the car came from there.

55Kab wrote:

There was actually a new dealer in SW7 in 1955 just off the Brompton Rd in South Ken. Believe it or not, I drove past the location this very morning! What was the address of the first owner?
Judson53
14 years ago

And the last is a hand out pic of a RHD Standard from about 53 - 55 (53 judging by the ribbed semaphores?);

Mike Peckham wrote:

My 53 standard came from here,wonder if that it,when it was a compleat car ofcouse :lol:
GKL 7
14 years ago
UMMM! Nice Avatar Rich.
Rich Oakley
14 years ago

UMMM! Nice Avatar Rich.

'50 Karmann wrote:

Mk1 Polos- the way forward.
55Kab
  • 55Kab
14 years ago

There was actually a new dealer in SW7 in 1955 just off the Brompton Rd in South Ken. Believe it or not, I drove past the location this very morning! What was the address of the first owner?

Rich Oakley wrote:

How dew know that then? :lol: Car arrived in the UK in May, do you have any idea when that dealership opened?

First owner lived in Roland Gardens which is off Brompton Rd so perhaps he just walked around the corner! :lol: Must try and track him or the family down, there's gotta be a story there.

Out of interest I emailed VAG at Milton Keynes to ask if they had any old photos/details etc. Not surprisingly they can back with the answer, and I quote:

"Thank you for your recent enquiry. I am afraid that given the age of this dealership Volkswagen UK do not have any information on this matter. I would recommend perhaps contacting the chamber of commerce for the area to see if they have records for this period. Sorry that we cant be of any more assistance"

mrsherbie
14 years ago
I was thinking the same, there still are a few car showrooms on Old Brompton Road SW7, one of the HR Owen buildings is actually on the same block as Roland I think so about 1 minute away! and there are 2 others along that stretch, obviously now they are not lowly VW any more! :lol: But some of the original garage buildings date back to the 30's, so it would be logical that in the 50's one of these would be selling quality European cars, as they kind of still do! :d

The Royal Geographical Society library is very close up nr Albert Hall but its somewhere you have to go in person, but there will be lots of photos of this area over the years its just finding the right street shot.
Obviously tracking back the original owner would be far easier! :lol:
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann