BO JANGLES
14 years ago
I must apologies for my complete lack of knowledge but part of the reason for buying the '53 is to learn how to overcome this sort of issue myself rather than paying someone to do it :oops:
Whilst driving, I felt the front of the car seemed a little loose & not as tight as it was, I then went over a pot hole & got quite a violent wheel wobble a bit like a tank slapper on a motorbike.
So after stopping I checked the front wheels & the nearside one could be pulled a little, I checked the wheel bolts & they are tight. I presume the next thing to do is pull the hub nut cover off to see if that's tight & then check the wheel bearings ?
Am I heading in the right direction ?
How do I check the bearings & where are they ?
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
I know to most of you this must be so basic, but if I don't ask for the information in simple / straight forward terms I'll never learn & you never know it might help someone else whose afraid to look like a numpty like me :roll: :lol:
Also is there a decent workshop manual which would cover a '53 new or old to look out for ?
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Chris Meintjes
14 years ago
On 53 , say you are heading for wheel bearing condition and if tightened correctly. Raise the wheel from ground, if you can push/pull the wheel in out whilst grabiing it top and bottom, you have found the "wobble" hope it help...
Andy Sparks
14 years ago
mate this could be many different issues really.

The words tank slapper, well that could be shocks/steering damper. Check that these compress and release evenly.

wheel bearings, check for play, but this could be king pins, if it is top and bottom, but also chack that the wheel spins freely, with no adverse noise.

It would be wise to check them, you should have an open race bearing and you can check the balls once clean for wear and tear.

Where abouts in North Devon are you?
You can never have too many accessories on your car. 🙂
VW Stan
14 years ago

Also is there a decent workshop manual which would cover a '53 new or old to look out for ?

BO JANGLES wrote:

'How To Keep Your Volkswagen Alive' is a must. Very easy to understand and very funny with some great cartoons and illustrations.

vwb519.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
It's hard to say what my girlfriend does for a living...

...She sells sea shells on the sea shore!
GKL 7
14 years ago

'How To Keep Your Volkswagen Alive' is a must. Very easy to understand and very funny with some great cartoons and illustrations.

VW Stan wrote:

Yes, that is an excellent publication.
Makes jobs seem so simple,while other after market manuals seem to make the task sound impossible.
BO JANGLES
14 years ago

VW Stan wrote:

Thanks for that , I ordered a copy a couple of days ago after a few others recommended it:wink:
BO JANGLES
14 years ago

mate this could be many different issues really.

The words tank slapper, well that could be shocks/steering damper. Check that these compress and release evenly.

wheel bearings, check for play, but this could be king pins, if it is top and bottom, but also chack that the wheel spins freely, with no adverse noise.

It would be wise to check them, you should have an open race bearing and you can check the balls once clean for wear and tear.

Where abouts in North Devon are you?

Andy Sparks wrote:

Thanks for the advise, I've got the book on order as mentioned above. I'm in Braunton, where abouts are you ?
Rich Oakley
14 years ago
Get an assistant to help you. Jack the car up so that the suspect wheel is just off the ground (preferably use an axle stand). Stick your head under the front of the car and get your companion to hold the wheel top and bottom and rock it. See if the movement comes from the wheel & brake drum only or the whole assembly behind the backing plate. Repeat procedure, but with your lover/life-partner holding the wheel left and right rather than top/bottom. Report back with your findings at 07:00hrs.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Andy Sparks
14 years ago

Thanks for the advise, I've got the book on order as mentioned above. I'm in Braunton, where abouts are you ?

BO JANGLES wrote:

about 15 miles away from you, let me know if you need a hand. Do you work at rod electrical? what's your name i will drop something in for you that will help.
You can never have too many accessories on your car. 🙂