oval56
  • oval56
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
14 years ago
hi enthusiasts,

first of all, the most know me owning only oval bug's of the years 56/57, pre ones i do call all prototyp's :lol: (door opening wrong, door lock wrong, doormechanism wrong, taillights with bad light, difficult brake mechanism :roll: ).

so i'm into the scene about 14 years know, and i never searched for one of the coachbuilt cars, but the last yeas, a bardoor or a early splitbus seems to be very interesting for me, but i never found one wich has fitted to my "visions". Also a kdf aera car was interesting for me, but to get one is also very very difficult.

but in this year, one telefoncal changed everything. A good friend of mine called me on a sunday late night, beginning with the words: hi andi, i do have a car on my trailor, i bought it just in this moment, but i have to sell it quick, do you know anyone who has interests at a hebmüller??... me: WHAT!??? you are jokeing.. he: No. itts no 455 januar 1950 stored since 1979

the end of the story, after 2 sleepless nights, i got the car delivered into my garage and we got an agreement on the price. a fair deal for both sides i tink, but to close al the roumors, no he did not get it for the price which the heb was advertised 😶 :cry:

so for the timeframe, i got the car in februar 2009(!) ind i was registrated for HO, and the car was not complete (some things are still missing) and some work ave to be don to get it streetlegal and in a technical good condition.

as i got the car, the original engien was not mounted, also frontbeam was changed to a later one, and gearbox is also a later one (bus nosecone(!)) ( in meantime i got an split frontbeam, and also i'm trying to geht the chrashbox for that car, becaus i love it to shift the old geraboxes :shock: :d ) also all fenders are original, a abarth 4 tip wa smounted, and a wrong fronthood, nothing welded beside a rearapron

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

you se a lot of work, baut i have done it by myself piece for piece.

welding one heaterchannel complete, rearapron, 2 boumpermountbrakets rear, and small pieces here and there, battery tray and finaly grinding the whole chassis, all wheelhousings to get the rust process under controll. also en rebuolt of an engine and a complete nwe harness has to be installed.

i had seval times where i want to give up, becaus the time was running, and waiting another 4 years was not accaptable for me.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

so now, everything was welded, and i had my day (17 june 2009!!!)to dirve my car to the german tüv for a streetlegal approval, but my fresch rebuilt engine blows up, reason, glas from blasting (to defend myself, i had done 10 engines like that, every enginehousing was cleaned and is working toda, and on this engine i had also removed all oilplugs but i had no luck :evil: :twisted: :cry: ) - all words wich came out on this day startet with f**k :lol: :?:

okay, to solve the problem, i had splited an other engine case, checked a good housing, a good crank, useing a new cam, new bearings and gaskets again, but i did not have new zylinders so i put on the new damaged ones in hope to get teh engien running for HO (imagine, the machien was totaly rebuilt, new bearings, nos crank cam .... and was about 100km on street after rebuilt as the enginecrasch came :roll: :evil: )

pictures of the nightmare:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

after some sleeples nights, i got the second rebuilt machine running in saturday 21.june 2009 (!)
details of the engine: 30 hp, bore 77,5 ( i will install the next days new (again) zylinders and pistons), stage 2 cam, nos heads , redrilled to get the 24hp engin tin fitted, 33mm inlet valve, 28pci dual carb setup, ihigher compression ratio, lightened and balanced flywheel, fram filter + okrasa spiral

so to get an end of this story, on 23 june i got it streetlegal, and got my licence plates. than 100km of testing and straigt to hessisch oldendorf :d

and today, 800km later, the engine still runs ( but i still have to change my cylinderes but they ar at the machineshop at the moment) and i love every minute driveing this car with a open roof :d :d :beer:

last but not least, i know, rims (original sprintstars chromed wit 135 / 165 tyres) and lowering (shortne frontaxle) ar really provocate the stock and original fanatics, but i do it for my own fun without destroying original parts from the car, i love the look and how it drives lowered. but for sure, the time will came when the car will get his original gearbox, and frontaxle on stock 16 inch tar cutters :wink: :beer: it is not my goal to provocate with this patina car, i just want to have a lot of fun, and i do also love original cars not lowered :idea: :wink:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

the complete story is on my website, i think most of you know it

www.oval56.de
www.oval56.com

DBK Germany
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
pre67vw
14 years ago
Great story, your car was one of my favourites at the show (apart from the lowering :wink: ). It's fantastic that the car has gone to a genuine enthusiast who is going to drive and enjoy it!!
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
oval56
  • oval56
14 years ago

Great story, your car was one of my favourites at the show (apart from the lowering :wink: ). It's fantastic that the car has gone to a genuine enthusiast who is going to drive and enjoy it!!

pre67vw wrote:

thanks for that compliment, and yes after this weekend, several voices said: please do not restore it.. (and i know, the lowering can give controvers discussions, but everyone who knows me, knows my intension behind the lowering :wink: :beer:)
www.oval56.de
www.oval56.com

DBK Germany
vintagevw
14 years ago
Great work Andi!
Keep it like it is for a while and enjoy driving, I know what it is now too! :wink: :beer:
Wat is het fijn om lesbisch te zijn!
zelensis61
14 years ago
Hi Andy.
I l ike it as much as each heb but yours is one of the ones that have partialy the original paint...
What ever you do to it, enjoy it each and every minute.
This week I went working with my Ovali: each day and I enjoyed it also with the open roof.
Thanks for sharing your info in that early stage from the resto.
I hope that you can find the history on your car from birth to rebirth :lol:
Best regards. Peter.

ZELENSIS, coachbuilt body from the 50's on a vw platform made in Belgium. Peter the heb detective
brille52
14 years ago
WoW !!
You did an incredible job! If I only would be able to do it like you, but THANKS GOD I have Reinhold, who helps me out! :wink:
Great story too. I think,there is a story behind every Hebmüller find -!

Hey,the engine picture is THE HAMMER ! This for me would be : the VW NIGHTMARE !!! :shock:
Great picture :!:

Enjoy the car !

a8)  210609%2003.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
oval56
  • oval56
14 years ago

WoW !!
You did an incredible job! If I only would be able to do it like you, but THANKS GOD I have Reinhold, who helps me out! :wink:
Great story too. I think,there is a story behind every Hebmüller find -!

Hey,the engine picture is THE HAMMER ! This for me would be : the VW NIGHTMARE !!! :shock:
Great picture :!:

Enjoy the car !

a8)

brille52 wrote:

Hi andreas, for sure it was also a vw nightmare for me :shock: :shock: . i never had any problems with my engines, but the heb engine was a special thing of experience :lol: :wink:
www.oval56.de
www.oval56.com

DBK Germany
Sambaguy
14 years ago
Interesting story Andy!!

I really love your Heb. It must be one of the best preserved and untouched Heb in the world. Please do not repaint it.

I was standing in the line up next to your Heb at HO.

Good metal work you have done to it.

Because your Heb seems to be so original I had the possibility to measure were the Hebmuller emblem should be orientated.

I rebuild my ´49 engine this winter and had to disassemble three engines to get all the correct parts so my garage almost looked as yours when you have the mess with the crashed engine.

Please enjoy your Hebmuller.

Sambaguy
Bally
14 years ago
Lovely Heb - it really stood out in my mindfrom HO. I loved the chromed sprintstars - I was going to get mine painted but now I may have to save my pennies and get them chromed - very Oldspeed.

You've really done a great job on that car - thanks for sharing

Dave
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago

Lovely Heb - it really stood out in my mindfrom HO. I loved the chromed sprintstars - I was going to get mine painted but now I may have to save my pennies and get them chromed - very Oldspeed.

You've really done a great job on that car - thanks for sharing

Dave

Bally wrote:

I hear that BBT are going to be reproducing these very soon - in steel and chromed or painted, for a very fair price also.

Nice to this car and the other lowered Heb at Göppingen at the weekend.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
oval56
  • oval56
14 years ago
thanks guy's for the kind words on my car and after some fun days now after my nightmare working action to get this car on street in time here are some pictures where i have mounted 16inch rims and rised it a bit (no not for me, onbly for pictures for my car insurance :lol: , they dont like lowered cars :roll: :wink: )

so 2 hours work with this result:
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

in meantime i have lowered it again and polished :d , for me more driving fun... but have it in mind i can rise it everytime8)
and also correct wipers ar mounted, the hebmüller badge is screwed on it's place and a rohde&schwarz radio is on the shippingway :lol: and also a hornring is waiting for the heb...

UserPostedImage

fun while driving it at 32°C :beer:

UserPostedImage

in winter i will think about the second site for the metal job and also thinking about doing a roof with the small rearwindow.... so we will se :wink:

www.oval56.de
www.oval56.com

DBK Germany
brille52
14 years ago
It`s really a HOT car !! I like it both way`s !! Any news regarding the mysterious MIL GT ? :wink:
Greets !
a8)
oval56
  • oval56
14 years ago
hi andreas, thanks :beer:

no the "mil gt" is still a mistery, but i will try to solve it when i can talk to the former owner next time :-)

It`s really a HOT car !! I like it both way`s !! Any news regarding the mysterious MIL GT ? :wink:
Greets !
a8)

brille52 wrote:

www.oval56.de
www.oval56.com

DBK Germany
overrestored
14 years ago
mil.gt is the Guatemalan Military sub domain suffix...

https://www.motorsportvision.co.uk/news/article.asp?NewsID=3229 

Fairly certain this has nothing to do with your heb though. 😉
protect me from what I want
brille52
14 years ago
RACE SERIES ????
That`s a good one, Eric - MAYBE,that`s it!! - you`ll never know..... :wink:

a8)
reminou75
14 years ago
well... In my opinion, a Heb should be stock, restored or not, but stock. That's how a coachbuilt look the best. Original.

I can appreciate lowered cars and rat lookers, but not on such a basis... 😳 and put an airride to lower it when you want, and raise it for some occasions, is for me the most horrible thing possible. airride is the loosers' system.

But actually, it's your car, and you are the only decider for what has to be done on it... :?
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
Actually, I really like the photos with the 16" wheels and slight lowering. Looks kind of Porsche Speedster-ish.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
55Kab
14 years ago
You know my thoughts Andy. Keep it lowered and on the sprints. :wink:

Otherwise it'll just be another boring old standard Heb. :shock: :lol: And as HO showed, there's too many of those already! :lol:

Robb
14 years ago
awesome car! :d

Looks great on the chromed sprints 😎
oval56
  • oval56
14 years ago

well... In my opinion, a Heb should be stock, restored or not, but stock. That's how a coachbuilt look the best. Original.

I can appreciate lowered cars and rat lookers, but not on such a basis... 😳 and put an airride to lower it when you want, and raise it for some occasions, is for me the most horrible thing possible. airride is the loosers' system.

But actually, it's your car, and you are the only decider for what has to be done on it... :?

reminou75 wrote:

:roll: i do not have an airride and i will not istall one... this is not possible without cutting or modifieng some parts of the original substance...

the lowering is as long fun for me as long some people say it does not look good as a stock car and it is the worst thing someone can do on a coachbuilt car... for me driving fun is in front, and it si much better lowered as on stock hight... since june 2009 4976km driven with it, most open :-)

but crashbox is waiting and a rohde&schwarz radio with a redtip hirschmann antenna :lol: 😮 :d
www.oval56.de
www.oval56.com

DBK Germany