54 Gertie
14 years ago
Well done you two for the much deserved "Best Beetle" win at Peppercorn at the weekend! :beer:

And is the car really on its original crossplies? :shock: 😎

UserPostedImage

(photo stolen from volks***e)
William
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
pre67vw
14 years ago
BTW, it's another Rob - not me :wink: mine wouldn't win anything...
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
54 Gertie
14 years ago

BTW, it's another Rob - not me :wink: mine wouldn't win anything...

pre67vw wrote:

It might if it was there! :wink:

William
pre67vw
14 years ago

It might if it was there! :wink:

54 Gertie wrote:

Nope, not even then - but thats OK.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
tman
  • tman
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago

And is the car really on its original crossplies?

54 Gertie wrote:

Would that make it the best new Beetle then? :d

Seriously, very well deserved award. Congratulations. :beer:
Andrew
195x Deluxe oval Beetle
Binz Doublecab
mrsherbie
14 years ago
Yes I saw the pics, its a pretty car, I dont think I've seen it before, what year/colour is it?

Sorry Rob, we didnt go, had a lie in instead :oops:

I will post you a Q for my T? add some p&p and let me know.

"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
RoRoVw
14 years ago
Hey, thanks for the kind comments.
Yes we were really shocked when we were told of the award and asked to drive up to the marquee. The trophy will take pride of place, first at Simon's place and then at mine.

Anna: its a July 1959 in Garnet Red.

Will: as far as we understand it the tyres are the original Michelin crossplyes supplied new with the car. That will mean they are now 50 years old and have covered 69000 miles!!!! There is still tread left and only very minor crazing of the rubber to the side walls. There are full records of every mile covered and every pound spent on the car from day one until 1985, by which time there were 58000 miles on the clock and there's no mention of the tyres ever having been replaced.

The car did the round trip to Kent from West Yorkshire (520 miles) with no problems and returned 42 to the gallon at 55 to 60 mph.
mrsherbie
14 years ago
:beer:

I half thought it might be the garnet car, the pic looks bright on my screen. The super style numberplate gave away the fact it is a well treated car, I have my eye on some polished letters myself but I am saving up for them! :shock: :d
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
Rich Oakley
14 years ago
I love that car. Congrats on the award.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
GKL 7
14 years ago
That's a fine car,you shouldn't be surprised that it wins trophies.
GKL 7
14 years ago

mine wouldn't win anything...

pre67vw wrote:

I'm showing complete self control here........and it's really hard.
54 Gertie
14 years ago

I'm showing complete self control here........and it's really hard.

'50 Karmann wrote:

:lol: :lol:

William
Kev
  • Kev
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago

Hey, thanks for the kind comments.
Yes we were really shocked when we were told of the award and asked to drive up to the marquee. The trophy will take pride of place, first at Simon's place and then at mine.

Anna: its a July 1959 in Garnet Red.

Will: as far as we understand it the tyres are the original Michelin crossplyes supplied new with the car. That will mean they are now 50 years old and have covered 69000 miles!!!! There is still tread left and only very minor crazing of the rubber to the side walls. There are full records of every mile covered and every pound spent on the car from day one until 1985, by which time there were 58000 miles on the clock and there's no mention of the tyres ever having been replaced.

The car did the round trip to Kent from West Yorkshire (520 miles) with no problems and returned 42 to the gallon at 55 to 60 mph.

RoRoVw wrote:

Lovely car, but if the tyres are really the originals and 50 years old I would replace them for safetys sake, you can always hang the originals on the garage wall :wink: