gizago
14 years ago
The question that has been asked a thousand times...

Heritage have sold the last of their (genuine)mexican channels, so only have the same cheap repro's that everyone else in the Uk stocks. I dont really want to use these, as they would need a fair bit of work to look right and fit properly in my '64. Does anyone know of any manufacturers or suppliers outside the Uk of channels that are the right shape and fit??
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
54 Gertie
14 years ago
No. Simple answer. :roll:

I know that Autocraft were going to start making them but if they are as accurate as they're valences....well?:wink:
William
gizago
14 years ago
I spoke to autocraft at dubfreeze, and from what i gathered, theirs will be ready late this year, but will be earlier oval style??
54 Gertie
14 years ago

I spoke to autocraft at dubfreeze, and from what i gathered, theirs will be ready late this year, but will be earlier oval style??

gizago wrote:

Easy to make them look newer than older! However, will they have the inner heat pipe? Perhaps thats why they are doing early oval, to save making the inner tube! :lol:
William
gizago
14 years ago
Thats a very good point, didnt think of that.I think my best option at the moment is to find one of our american cousins who is cutting up a bug with usable original channels, there are often full pairs on the samba. Shipping will be a killer, but probably the best way to get a guaranteed correct shape and fit. Cheers, Mat.
vintagebug
14 years ago
Isn't Gerson in South America planning on making heater channels? I may be talking rubbish here, but I think I remember a thread somewhere (possibly on the Samba?) about this very subject, and his name came up. Sorry, but I don't have any contact details for him. Anyone got an e-mail address/ website for him?

Dave

Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
1958ghia
14 years ago
(Is that you Dave?)

I'm sure gerson was planning on making them I know he was working on the dies for split and oval wings in May. I've found it's best to phone him and ask rather than wait for an email response.

His site is here:

klassicfab 

Dan
vintagebug
14 years ago

(Is that you Dave?)

Hi Dan, yes it me! :wink: I guess you made it home from HO without any problems?

Klassicfab- that's the place I was meaning, I couldn't recall the name.

Dave

Dave
vintagebug
14 years ago
Dan,

I've just noticed- that's your first post on the forum. Welcome on board! :wink:

Dave
pre67vw
14 years ago

(Is that you Dave?)

1958ghia wrote:

Is it only me that reads this in the voice of Hal ? :lol:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
1958ghia
14 years ago
Hi Dave,

We made it there and back with only one loose bulb and no other problems.

Hope you having some success in finding a restorer.

I seem to have lost my old login so had to re-register. I've been on for a while (watching and waiting for a split window ragtop or rhd ragtop oval to move further from a price I can afford).

Dan
54 Gertie
14 years ago

Is it only me that reads this in the voice of Hal ? :lol:

pre67vw wrote:

I read it as if it was Holly, Red Dwarfs computer! :oops:

And then added in a "everybody's dead Dave" :wink: :lol:

UserPostedImage
William
vintagebug
14 years ago
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave
vintagebug
14 years ago
Gizago- if you contact Gerson at Klassicfab please post up here & let us know if he's going to make them. It would be great if someone could manufacture quality heater channels, I reckon he wouldn't be short of orders!

Dave

Dave
gizago
14 years ago
I can't understand why nobody has made the investment in tooling up to make them, there are some really good quality panels available but nobody makes good channels. I know the presses involved would need to be pretty big, but its quite rare to see a bug that hasn't had channels fitted, or doesn't need them. The potential market is enormous. (in relative terms!)
gizago
14 years ago
I emailed Gerson earlier today, and just got a reply-

I am ready to make them, the problem that I have right now is finding
descent samples to use to make my dies....

61 Devon
14 years ago
Autocraft are not going to make them, say they have too much other work on.
Their Oval is in a friends shop for resto work and needs heater channels !
Are going to use channels from USA ?, cant remember who they said now.
gizago
14 years ago
Could be the dansk ones as supplied by CIP1. Ive heard mixed reports on these but have never seen a set first hand. $208 a pair plus shipping, comes out at just over $400.
keekster
14 years ago

The question that has been asked a thousand times...

Heritage have sold the last of their (genuine)mexican channels, so only have the same cheap repro's that everyone else in the Uk stocks. I dont really want to use these, as they would need a fair bit of work to look right and fit properly in my '64. Does anyone know of any manufacturers or suppliers outside the Uk of channels that are the right shape and fit??

gizago wrote:

The Dansk ones look better than most. I'm sure it was these that I fitted to my 64 many years ago. You will have to modify the channel where the pressing is for the later heater outlet. Personally I would drill out the spots and remove the lower plate, and fit a Hooky panel lower plate. THis would allow you to paint inside it properly before fitting the lower panel. Even if you can find a genuine mexican channel, you will still have to modify it to suit the earlier car heater outlets. Having said that I did fit a pair to my current 1972 project and they were great to work with. No easy option I'm afraid.
vintagevw
14 years ago
Are the lowerplates from the heatherchannels from every year the same?
Wat is het fijn om lesbisch te zijn!