pre67vw
  • pre67vw
  • Administration Topic Starter
14 years ago

Pre '50 makes more sense '49 being a forties car. And I won't be able to show off my '49:cry:

Standard split wrote:

:lol:

I'll concede up to June '49 - if it doesn't have the cheese triangle in the engine lid then it's too new :wink:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Rich Oakley
14 years ago
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Standard split
14 years ago

:lol:

I'll concede up to June '49 - if it doesn't have the cheese triangle in the engine lid then it's too new :wink:

pre67vw wrote:

That's that then, mine's without the triangle, and I nearly posted it – never mind George:twisted:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
GKL 7
14 years ago

if it doesn't have the cheese triangle in the engine lid then it's too new

pre67vw wrote:

Lucky escape John.Come on show them the most original'49 in the world.Set up it's own post
Rich Oakley
14 years ago

That's that then, mine's without the triangle, and I nearly posted it – never mind George:twisted:

Standard split wrote:

Get posting those pics!! Will have to drop in for a cuppa soon if you're around. I'm always driving 'round the M25 and getting sick of the traffic.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
54 Gertie
14 years ago

Standard split wrote:

I bet it's only a 1303 with a fibreglass split window clip...
William
Ovalbug
14 years ago

Lovely find, but the fanshroud is '49 or later.

Rich Oakley wrote:

Oh dear, was convinced the 'shroud was original to the block as it is seamed and originally seems to have been finished in a battle-ship grey paint?
The air intake is covered in a very very coarse mesh also?
Can you please educate me in what makes it '49 or later, I'm really clueless when it comes to early stuff :lol:

Thanks

:wink:

Edited; is it the lack of a handle visible in the pics of your '47 that gives mine away?
'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
'72 1302LS Karmann Cabrio RHD
GKL 7
14 years ago

54 Gertie wrote:

He's no mug.He won't fall for it that way.  Kdf-Wagen_und_Hitler__Small_.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Standard split
14 years ago

54 Gertie wrote:

Of course not – that's my '47:wink:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
Rich Oakley
14 years ago

Oh dear, was convinced the 'shroud was original to the block as it is seamed and originally seems to have been finished in a battle-ship grey paint?
The air intake is covered in a very very coarse mesh also?
Can you please educate me in what makes it '49 or later, I'm really clueless when it comes to early stuff :lol:

Thanks

Edited; is it the lack of a handle visible in the pics of your '47 that gives mine away?

Ovalbug wrote:

As Will says, the lack of the summer/winter 'thermostat' lever (see engine pics above). Can't remember when they discontinued this off the top of my head, but think it may have been July 15th 1948?
Rich Oakley
14 years ago
UserPostedImage
Rich Oakley
14 years ago
When one '47 in your collection isn't enough, find another one...
UserPostedImage
Kev
  • Kev
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago

This is the only old VW part I have :lol: .

UserPostedImage

Bought this engine as a parts donor for my '53 ovals' engine thinking it was an early '50s unit, so was more than happy when clearing all the muck away from around the dynamo pedestal to find the date 21.3.47 there :d .
Yes it has a lot of later peripherals , but the case, fanshroud, heads and dizzy all appear to be '47 or older so I'm not complaining.

Ovalbug wrote:

Good score indeed ! does the fuel pump have a cog logo on it ?

Seeing as you only bought the engine as a parts donor you fancy selling me the crank pulley :wink: or I have a nice early oval (53-55) thin lipped pulley to trade.
Ovalbug
14 years ago

Good score indeed ! does the fuel pump have a cog logo on it ?

Seeing as you only bought the engine as a parts donor you fancy selling me the crank pulley :wink: or I have a nice early oval (53-55) thin lipped pulley to trade.

nev wrote:

Interesting question re;fuel pump!
Have had a good look at the fuel pump on the factory engine in my '53 (for comparison purposes) and the '47 engine...
The '53 pump has a VW roundel on the manifold side of the pump and 6mm fuel lines, the '47? pump has 8mm fuel lines but absolutely no markings other than a series of CAST numbers, 08.72.8 on the top and 8.71 on the bottom.
Yes, I know the wags amongst you will say its a 1971/72 fuel pump :lol: , but the typeface of the numbers is very similar to the typeface of the date stamp of the engine?
Some parts of this engine are even older than '47 as it has a 343T dizzy which apparently dates from before the end of the war(??).
Don't mean to hi-jack this thread with tales of my Ebay junk :lol: , one day I will get the thing apart to see how many parts(if any) have a cog logo.....

'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
Ovalbug
14 years ago

As Will says, the lack of the summer/winter 'thermostat' lever (see engine pics above). Can't remember when they discontinued this off the top of my head, but think it may have been July 15th 1948?

Rich Oakley wrote:

Cheers, the engine is a real bitsa then :lol:
'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
Rich Oakley
14 years ago

Interesting question re;fuel pump!
Have had a good look at the fuel pump on the factory engine in my '53 (for comparison purposes) and the '47 engine...
The '53 pump has a VW roundel on the manifold side of the pump and 6mm fuel lines, the '47? pump has 8mm fuel lines but absolutely no markings other than a series of CAST numbers, 08.72.8 on the top and 8.71 on the bottom.
Yes, I know the wags amongst you will say its a 1971/72 fuel pump :lol: , but the typeface of the numbers is very similar to the typeface of the date stamp of the engine?
Some parts of this engine are even older than '47 as it has a 343T dizzy which apparently dates from before the end of the war(??).
Don't mean to hi-jack this thread with tales of my Ebay junk :lol: , one day I will get the thing apart to see how many parts(if any) have a cog logo.....

Ovalbug wrote:

I think you probably have a generic, later 25bhp fuel pump there. The 343T dizzy was used on a number of different engines, from what I can gather, for some period of time (war-time to early 1950s). They were used on KdFs also.
Ovalbug
14 years ago

I think you probably have a generic, later 25bhp fuel pump there. The 343T dizzy was used on a number of different engines, from what I can gather, for some period of time (war-time to early 1950s). They were used on KdFs also.

Rich Oakley wrote:

Thanks, yet more incorrect parts then :lol: .

'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
GKL 7
14 years ago

When one '47 in your collection isn't enough, find another one...
UserPostedImage

Rich Oakley wrote:

Yes or if you were not going to buy it you could pass the details on:wink:
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
  • Administration Topic Starter
14 years ago
 VW-K--fer-Prototyp.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
48REME
14 years ago

It really ought to be pre-July '49 if we're going to be hardcore about it. I condsider splits made after this 'late models'.

Rich Oakley wrote:

I agree. If you're making an ultra-purist thread then it should stop at the end of banana bumpers and big logo hubcaps. Anything with grooved bumpers, (even late 49s still with triangular plate pressing and oval rear view mirror amongst other remaining early details) heralds the start of an era which went on up to 1952.