jrusk1957
14 years ago
I have a 1959 Convertible I just bought, it is leaking oil and I think I found out where it is coming from but it is kind of strange. There is a cable that I believe was for the heater box that is coming out of a small shaft, it looks like there is oil coming out of it. Is there supposed to be a grommet that the cable goes through? I put a small amount of gasket sealer in the hole and it looks like it stopped it. It had new axel boots put on and that is the only other place that it looks like it might be coming from. Would a small tear in the axel boot cause a leak also?

Thanks

Jim
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
These can be a nightmare to track down, but I´d give the engine a good old going over with the jet washer and get it really clean. Makes life easier. If its from near the outside of the motor it could well be a rocker cover gasket.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
jrusk1957
14 years ago
Thank you. Yes, have jet sprayed the underneath several times, still looks like it is coming from the boot area (on the right rear) or that hole for the cable. It is driving me crazy, LOL. Still looks like there should be some kind of grommet or seal where that cable comes out.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
The oil gets blown all over the place by the cooling fan. Could be coming from anywhere!:beer:
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage