vintagebug
14 years ago

I'm going to show my ignorance now- did they ever make RHD zwitters? At what date in '53 did they start manufacturing RHDs?
Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
GKL 7
14 years ago
Dave are you able to go and take a look?
1958ghia
14 years ago
If Dave and I were potentially going to see it is there a final chassis number beyond which it is not a zwitter?
1958ghia
14 years ago
09-03-53 1-454951 using google
GKL 7
14 years ago
The last chassis number for March '53 was 464 207 so beyond that it couldn't be a genuine Zwitter(unless it's on a later pan).
Looks like the car has been worked on over the years,later lights etc.
The aluminium trims for the rear windows are missing and it looks like the rubbers have been changed.The correct rubbers would be very hard to find.
Really need a month of production to really determine if the VIN is correct.
Standard split
14 years ago
Wise men fear to tread…:wink:

A RHD Zwitter is seriously rare :!:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
GKL 7
14 years ago
GKL 7
14 years ago

Wise men fear to tread…:wink:

A RHD Zwitter is seriously rare :!:

Standard split wrote:

John,he who hesitates is lost.
Someone has to go and find out.
Standard split
14 years ago

John,he who hesitates is lost.
Someone has to go and find out.

'50 Karmann wrote:

For sure. I'd be there now if it were nearer.

Just don't rush in is all I'm saying, plenty of early Ovals are now in circulation as more valuable Zwitters. Its from Sri-Lanka. a little unusual in itself.

I placed this on the forum so at least someone can check it out:wink:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
VW Stan
14 years ago
From The Historic VW club website which ties up with VW Progressive refinements...

Oval dash introduced on: 01.10.52 at chassis number: 1-0 397 023 body number: 337 455
Oval Window introduced on: 10.03.53 at chassis number 1-0 454 951 body number: 389 825

Model Number should be 114 if it's a genuine RHD Deluxe or 112 for a RHD Standard

It's hard to say what my girlfriend does for a living...

...She sells sea shells on the sea shore!
1958ghia
14 years ago
3.3.53 is supposed to be the production date from the docs with the car.
VW Stan
14 years ago
So who is gonna go see then?

From the pics it doesn't look bad for £3.5K!

Standard split
14 years ago
Just had confirmation on the chassis number too… possibly a real late split 😮

Sri-Lanka drive on the left too, so sounds good.:wink:

Let's hope this car stays in the UK:beer:

1958ghia
14 years ago
Dave Mitchell and I are going today.
VW Stan
14 years ago

1958ghia wrote:

Good luck Dan, hope it' tuns out to a goodun! :d

55Kab
14 years ago

1958ghia wrote:

Tell us how you get on. It may turn out to be the only known original RHD Zwitter in the world, in which case from the photos I would say it's deffo worth £3.5k.

VW Stan
14 years ago

Tell us how you get on. It may turn out to be the only known original RHD Zwitter in the world, in which case from the photos I would say it's deffo worth £3.5k.

55Kab wrote:

There are at least two if they are both real...

This SA RHD Zwitter was for sale in Sept 08
I wonder where it ended up?

2232649.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.

Standard split
14 years ago
RHD Zwitters were assembled in Ireland from CKN kits.

I know of 2 existing, one is very nice blue car :wink:

55Kab
14 years ago
So here's a good question - What was the date/chassis number of the first official Beetle ordered for and delivered to the UK market? I gather it's a 53 Oval, just wondering if there was ever a UK RHD Zwitter?

How nice would that be?! :wink:

Standard split
14 years ago

So here's a good question - What was the date/chassis number of the first official Beetle ordered for and delivered to the UK market? I gather it's a 53 Oval, just wondering if there was ever a UK RHD Zwitter?

How nice would that be?! :wink:

55Kab wrote:

All Ovals. One of the earliest left is a Standard model reg LOW 514. I owned it way back in the late '70s.:o