ianmac
14 years ago
Did the VW factory fit a particular brand of tyre in the 1950s ? I am looking to buy some new tyres for my '51, which incidently are all horendously expensive IMO:shock:
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
GKL 7
14 years ago
Ian,i think to be totally correct your car should have continental tyres(Anorak Oakley,sorry i mean Professor Oakley :lol: will probably point me out as wrong)I made extensive enquiries, when restoring my vert,for availability....They ceased production of the Continental 5.00 x 16 approx 15 years ago.
I have managed to find two of these N.O.S and one with approx 1K miles on it.Could not find another two to complete the set,so i used five new Avon tourist,i think these are as good a tyre as you will find.
So if anyone has two 5.00 x 16 continentals we could make up a set whether i buy or sell.
Rich Oakley
14 years ago

Ian,i think to be totally correct your car should have continental tyres(Anorak Oakley,sorry i mean Professor Oakley :lol: will probably point me out as wrong)I made extensive enquiries, when restoring my vert,for availability....They ceased production of the Continental 5.00 x 16 approx 15 years ago.
I have managed to find two of these N.O.S and one with approx 1K miles on it.Could not find another two to complete the set,so i used five new Avon tourist,i think these are as good a tyre as you will find.
So if anyone has two 5.00 x 16 continentals we could make up a set whether i buy or sell.

'50 Karmann wrote:

Yep, Continentals in the early 50s. Avon Tourists look good though.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Sunroof53
14 years ago
https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/  do a nice firestone 5.60x15 and if your really desparate Camac also do one.I have Camacs on mine and have seen them on many ovals at shows,but they are an awful tyre by popular opinion and would not recommend if you are using the car regularly .
pre67vw
14 years ago
https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/  do a nice firestone 5.60x15 and if your really desparate Camac also do one.I have Camacs on mine and have seen them on many ovals at shows,but they are an awful tyre by popular opinion and would not recommend if you are using the car regularly .

a '51 should have 16" tyres, but I guess for every day use you could easily run 15's
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Sunroof53
14 years ago

a '51 should have 16" tyres, but I guess for every day use you could easily run 15's

pre67vw wrote:

:oops: :oops:
GKL 7
14 years ago

pre67vw wrote:

[-x
pre67vw
14 years ago

[-x

'50 Karmann wrote:

What's that for? :roll:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
GKL 7
14 years ago
You shouldn't even suggest it:lol:
48REME
14 years ago

Yep, Continentals in the early 50s. Avon Tourists look good though.

Rich Oakley wrote:

When I had my 48, I got BF Goodrich which I almost prefered to Avons because they are almost narrower in profile
than the Avons.
There's nothing nicer than a Split sitting high on wide but narrow tyres to emphasise that vintage aspect.