Standard split
14 years ago
I think that this 1958 STANDARD Beetle has been discussed on this forum before…

It's for sale, but too shiny and lots of other things that spoil it 😳

'Ave a butcher's:evil:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=851896 

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
48REME
14 years ago
Yes John, it's the one I got the seats from!:wink:
Standard split
14 years ago

Yes John, it's the one I got the seats from!:wink:

48REME wrote:

You've the better of the two cars I'd guess:wink:

Just knock that shine back:roll:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
GKL 7
14 years ago
What's the point of having that gearbox with a 1500cc motor?:roll:
54 Gertie
14 years ago

'Ave a butcher's:evil:

Standard split wrote:

Too late. :wink:

Although im glad the OG interior etc found a good home, it is criminal what has been done to this car.

William
Standard split
14 years ago

'50 Karmann wrote:

I take it that the cable brakes have gone the way of various other Standard features that this rare car had:?

At the end of the day its the owner's choice to do as the wish with their cars – but surely a DeLuxe with its hydraulic brakes and synchromesh box would have been a much easier option:(

Gaz1
14 years ago

'50 Karmann wrote:

Because a big engine was to follow and still may do .
Gaz1
14 years ago

Too late. :wink:

Although im glad the OG interior etc found a good home, it is criminal what has been done to this car.

54 Gertie wrote:

Criminal?? is it against the law to modify your own car now ?
Dubster
14 years ago

Criminal?? is it against the law to modify your own car now ?

Gaz1 wrote:

Criminal? Not at all...

A crying shame? Definately.
December 1966 UK 1500 Beetle
Gaz1
14 years ago

Criminal? Not at all...

A crying shame? Definately.

Dubster wrote:

Matter of opinion:roll: ,i didn't modify the car but i love its look,if nobody modified beetles there probably wouldn't be as many left on the road.So the car has better brakes,engine,gearbox etc than if left the factory with...big deal,its not been turned into a trike or a chopped in half.
I've had many stock beetles as well as cal look beetles,they get the same tlc and are kept to a high standard.I'm not here for an argument but if an old beetle is being kept on the road and to a high standard then i don't see that as a bad thing,owners are entitled to do what they want with their own car and i personally wouldn't post negative comments about someone elses vehicle or tastes.
pre67vw
14 years ago

Matter of opinion:roll: ,i didn't modify the car but i love its look,if nobody modified beetles there probably wouldn't be as many left on the road.So the car has better brakes,engine,gearbox etc than if left the factory with...big deal,its not been turned into a trike or a chopped in half.
I've had many stock beetles as well as cal look beetles,they get the same tlc and are kept to a high standard.I'm not here for an argument but if an old beetle is being kept on the road and to a high standard then i don't see that as a bad thing,owners are entitled to do what they want with their own car and i personally wouldn't post negative comments about someone elses vehicle or tastes.

Gaz1 wrote:

It's been argued time and time again, there are people who don't like to see rare cars being modified - this was a 'standard' model that are pretty rare these days (standard as in the base model, not as in stock unmodified). If it'd been done to some other '58 car then nobody would be too bothered...

Each to their own, but this site leans towards stock so don't expect much support for modified cars around here :wink:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Standard split
14 years ago

Matter of opinion:roll:So the car has better brakes,engine,gearbox etc than if left the factory with...

Gaz1 wrote:

I can make my Split 'better' for use with a RHD conversion, as well as a nice big clear view window in the back. I could also go and buy a RHD '60s model leaving the rare car intact for future owners/collectors to enjoy for what it is:wink:

Gaz1
14 years ago

It's been argued time and time again, there are people who don't like to see rare cars being modified - this was a 'standard' model that are pretty rare these days (standard as in the base model, not as in stock unmodified). If it'd been done to some other '58 car then nobody would be too bothered...

Each to their own, but this site leans towards stock so don't expect much support for modified cars around here :wink:

pre67vw wrote:

Didn't expect any support but is there any need to start a thread about someone elses car and say it's been spoilt and to shiney? or 'criminal' to modify in a very popular style.
thanks anyway :wink:
Gaz1
14 years ago

I can make my Split 'better' for use with a RHD conversion, as well as a nice big clear view window in the back. I could also go and buy a RHD '60s model leaving the rare car intact for future owners/collectors to enjoy for what it is:wink:

Standard split wrote:

I don't see why a RHD conversion would make it better:? ,and the standard is still intact for future owners:wink:
I'd love to own a stock beetle and a cal look beetle,there are enough for everyones tastes :d
Standard split
14 years ago

I don't see why a RHD conversion would make it better:?

Gaz1 wrote:

Daily use in the UK – really is preferable in RHD. I've left and right cars, and of course, right is more suitable, and maybe a little safer:o

69project
14 years ago
without getting embroiled in an argument,as rob says this site is a stock/unmodified/standard forum so any talk of major changes to what is a rare care will go down like a lead balloon

yes the car does look nice but we would all prefer to see it as it left factory
welcome anyway :beer:
Car less.....
VW Stan
14 years ago

yes the car does look nice but we would all prefer to see it as it left factory
welcome anyway :beer:

69project wrote:

Here you go! :d

8892.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
It's hard to say what my girlfriend does for a living...

...She sells sea shells on the sea shore!
54 Gertie
14 years ago
Right...

This car could have easily been made with a non original '58 deluxe. Weld up the trim holes, paint grey, job done. However, it was made with a rare and sought after car, one than many on here myself included would more than happy to own. It seems a shame to me that to get the same end result as using a non original (but solid) deluxe, a rare, sought after and original standard was used.

And really the "its on the road and saved from the scrapheap" argument always gets up my nose a bit. I mean, this car was not going to be scrapped if it wasn't bought by whoever modified it, was it? :wink:

There are some cars however where this rule does apply. The '62 below for example is very much resto cal, but the owner did physically pull it from a scrapyard, and did a hell of a lot of work to get it to the show winning state its in now. I love his car as it is, and would never dream about telling him he shouldn't have lowered it because really he has earned the right to do whatever the hell he likes to it, he did "save" it.

UserPostedImage

Paying a lot of money for a desirable car does not count as "saving" in my eyes. :wink:
William
pre67vw
14 years ago

UserPostedImage

54 Gertie wrote:

Why are those guys peeing through the fence? :shock:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
69project
14 years ago

Here you go! :d

VW Stan wrote: